No top ten for Max.....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Basically any4cylinder over 600cc's and newer than an '04 that is Japanese made and not a cruiser will kick the Max's ass. I love my Max but for this day and age it is slow unless compared to the cruiser market.

Most 600's are putting almost as much HP to the rear wheel as the Max and usually weigh around 200 lbs less.
It's not exactly a modern bike is it?

Can't wait till we see the new one and I hope I'm not dissapointed :(

But, it still has -style- :eusa_dance:

It's not on the list, but it still has intimidation on it's side. My buddy gets the young'uns trying to play with his V65, I guess they think it's an old shadow or something. I don't get near as many offers to dance as he does. They know what it is!

The Vmax isn't the bully anymore, but I love it just the same.
I imagine we all feel the same way about our antiques, after all, we're not posting on the busa forums are we?

I'm still hoping we'll see the new M before the end of the year. As long as it has 200+ hp at the rear, weighs around 500 lbs, is updated with the latest brakes and electronics, I'll buy one. The body & style can be changed to suit. The EFI and ABS, PLUS a gear indicator sound good. I've just about wore out my 6th gear on my old one. LOL

I agree with everything except the 200 rwhp. That would get me killed. 140-150 would be plenty for me....for awhile anyway.

Simple cure Mark. Just pull one of the plug wires and when you're ready for more, run on all 4's. :rocket bike:

Nah...I said I wanted less horsepower...not for it to run like crap. lol

mikemax04 said:
Simple cure Mark. Just pull one of the plug wires and when you're ready for more, run on all 4's. :rocket bike:

lol...true, so true!
I love my max and wouldn't trade it for anything else!
This past summer, I pulled up to the local cigar store with my girlfriends daughter with me.
A wedding party was crossing the street.....the best man nudged the groom and says...."look....A VMAX!"
Now, how many other bikes (besides a chopper) will get THAT kind of reaction!
I have NEVER seen anyone say....HEY LOOK..... a Harley or crotch rocket!
The Max may not be the ULTIMATE speed demon anymore, but it sure does draw the crowd to you.....kinda like owning the General Lee or a DeLorean!
Might not be the fastest, but the looks are intimidating and the machine sure is a chick magnet!....lol

Overall I wouldn't have expected the V-Max to be even in the top twenty of any of those comparisons. Maybe the 1/4 mile.

Now... that being said. Try the following categories:

Style
Ergonomics
Comfort

And thing along those lines. When it comes to cutting edge performance, it generally doesn't have the above and the fastest, best handling, hardest stopping powers as well.

The reason I am shopping for a V-Max is for those reasons. Not the performance. The bike has it's performance mistique, but it has an appeal not found in ANY other bike... PERIOD. No other machine does everything as well as the V-Max and has a one of a kind charactericistic all it's own.

I think you all should be proud that your V-Max is different enough to not have to worry about having the fastest top speed or shortest stopping distance as a selling point. The V-Max has character. All the merely others are machines.

mikemax04 said:
I'm still hoping we'll see the new M before the end of the year. As long as it has 200+ hp at the rear, weighs around 500 lbs, is updated with the latest brakes and electronics, I'll buy one. The body & style can be changed to suit. The EFI and ABS, PLUS a gear indicator sound good. I've just about wore out my 6th gear on my old one. LOL
There is a sixth gear?

I just posted that to see what kind of reaction I'd get from the crowd. It goes to show you that Yamaha doesn't have to make the new Max the fastest to lure all of us in to buy another one. Maybe, Yamaha should take notes from all of us. So why in the hell is it taking them so long....? I think the same way as all of you about my bike. I'd never sell, trade in or prefer to ride another bike except for a new one. That will depend on insurance fees.
Yet I just can't understand why there wasn't one vendor(s) selling anything for the Vmax at the last motorcycle show here in Toronto ??? Why, Why, Why ?

I know that apart from styling of the new Max, I'm sure we won't be dissapointed from it's performance. Good things come to those who wait. But, will someone tell Yamaha we've waited long enough.

Probably the biggest problem the Max has is a small following. A business is all about the bottom line and Yamaha isn't quite sure there will be one (+) for the Max. Look at the R1, bet they sell 30 or more for each Max they sell and the more volume of one product, the cheaper they can produce it. You want speed, great handling, fast 1/4 mile, comfort, etc, etc, etc, you can get whatever your need is for a lot less than what the Max will cost.

I'm still hoping they will produce it, but if they don't, I'll understand BUT WILL NOT LIKE IT. There's really nothing else out there that I would consider a "trade-up".

Waylander said:
on the VMax?:rofl_200: :th_laugh2:

Ok... try knocking out a couple hundred miles. First on a YZF or ZX or GSXR and then try the same hundred miles on a V-Max.

Robbarrie said:
It goes to show you that Yamaha doesn't have to make the new Max the fastest to lure all of us in to buy another one.
know that apart from styling of the new Max, I'm sure we won't be dissapointed from it's performance. Good things come to those who wait. But, will someone tell Yamaha we've waited long enough.

Aside from it's obvious character which is one of a kind the Max also has a mystique of performance way beyond it's current capabilities compared to the rest of the market. I have a nieghbor who for 20years has believed that the max will pull a 5th gear wheelie. Yoiu should have seen the look on his face when I told him it wouldn't (actually I think he really belives that I don't know how to ride it right)

This mystique stems from the fact that the Max WAS THE FASTEST BIKE IN THE 1/4 FOR SEVERAL YEARS!!

Right now it's like an old retired boxer who couldn't whip a healthy 20 year olds ass, but at least it did hold the title. a young up and comer who never makes to the top will not hold the same fascination for the buying public.

If Yamaha screws around with this bike and fails to put it at the top of the 1/4 mile wars for at least a little while then they have failed the Max as it won't have ever had the mystique, it could lose it's cult following and just go away.

Plus they gonna really piss me off!

I hope like hell we do get the new Max but if it's not capable of high to mid 9's after being lowered and strapped I'm gonna be really dissapointed.

(But I'll probably buy one anyway)

Right now Yamaha has a cash cow for sure . Zero R&D for 20 years and selling it for 13,000

Last edited:
Couldn't agree with you more ! I hope they concentrate on the 1/4 mile numbers and not go for top end. Can it be done ? I hope so. Plus who is going to race any further than that anyways ? They sold so many as they marketed the max as a arm stretching 1/4 mile monster. Keep the faith. Go Yamaha !

Anybody hear of any pre release numbers or test results ? I had to ask.

Waylander said:
on the VMax?:rofl_200: :th_laugh2:

I knocked out 2300 miles on a 5 day vacation by myself on the Max with just a Sportmax seat and a windshield. Could not have been more comfortable. I think?

Not sure really though as I have no point of reference of what a truly comfortable sport tourer is really like.

damn I want an FJR1300

Waylander said:
OK yea compared to a track purpose built sportsbike.

That's all I own right now :( Soon as I can land myself a V-Max, I'm sure I will start to criticize it. But... until then I think it is one seriously awesome machine.
:bicycle:

Latest posts

Back