Headset Radio Rating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robbarrie

Reaction score
Wanting to buy a radio headset for bike to bike communication and rider to passenger. I want the forums input to help me make a good choice in purchasing the right one. But, I need to know why you bought the one you did, options offered and what were you looking for in a radio. Why to buy one type over another. Please list approx. value if you don't mind. Is what you got compatible with other brands and how many riders can talk and hear each other at the same time. I know this is allot to ask, but I got two other guys I ride with asking me to look into it. I don't want to get them into big bucks nor get cheap crap. Plus I don't wanna look like an ass with my advise on what we should buy. Here is what were looking for:

Great price, clear, no wiring to the bike, portable, compact, not attached - outside the helmet, decent range, ez to use. We don't mind going in the upper range but I need to know why. Thanks a million guys.

I checked into this about 5 months ago, after I bought my VMax. I wanted something to plug my mp3 player into. I asked about the best bang for the buck and pros and cons and whatnot. I asked the same question in a few bike groups on myspace. Like with anything else, I got Pros and I got Cons, when all was said and done, the Chatterbox seem to be the best for the money.
So it's comming up next month on things I want to buy. I'm going to look on Ebay for a new in box Chatterbox. This month I got my Orlando Predators season tickets. Woo Hooooo!

I like my Nady unit. Good service too. Check them out but don't make any purchases until you look them all over.

Sean

Couldn't find a Nady, but did grab a set of Midland Radios LXT420.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5498

They are charging right now...they seem pretty good. I hope they are what I (we) want. I messed around with them a little before going on charge. I think they will work just fine. Thanks for the input. Didn't cost me too much either. Check out the link if your in the market for some....Midland donates radios to the US Military in Iraq. That's good enough for me.:gun_band:

Robbarrie said:
Couldn't find a Nady, but did grab a set of Midland Radios LXT420.

http://www.midlandradio.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=5498

They are charging right now...they seem pretty good. I hope they are what I (we) want. I messed around with them a little before going on charge. I think they will work just fine. Thanks for the input. Didn't cost me too much either. Check out the link if your in the market for some....Midland donates radios to the US Military in Iraq. That's good enough for me.:gun_band:

That's kewl, but how did you get an FCC license? And how much did it cost?

When I bought them, they said nothing about it, what so ever ! I did do some reading on MCN and they were saying no one ever does....not sure why you would ? For the use that I bought them for - I don't think I will, nor a need to. I put it on scan and the only people I was able to pick up was two kids somewhere playing a a game of Marko Polo.

They cost just a smidge over $100 for two radios and two headsets, which can be upgraded. Comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger. I won't know if they were the right ones until we get out on the bikes and really start using them. I think they're ok - so we'll see.

Last edited:
Robbarrie said:
When I bought them, they said nothing about it, what so ever ! I did do some reading on MCN and they were saying no one ever does....not sure why you would ? For the use that I bought them for - I don't think I will, nor a need to. I put it on scan and the only people I was able to pick up was two kids somewhere playing a a game of Marko Polo.

They cost just a smidge over $100 for two radios and two headsets, which can be upgraded. Comes with rechargeable batteries and a charger. I won't know if they were the right ones until we get out on the bikes and really start using them. I think they're ok - so we'll see.

Kewl Beans, Let us know how they work out when you use them. I only mention the FCC License because it said on the page that an FCC License was required.
Polo!

I went to Costco with the wife yesterday, they have a set of Cobras 26km with the small headsets included. for $80 Cdn. The wife said she was going to get them for my birthday in April but - because I'm too impatient she said she's only going to get me a card now !
Wrong thing for her to say to me before Valentine's Day.
However, the Midlands do offer the super flat velcro set for a full helmet setup. Not sure the Cobras do ?
So it's like I could have got the headsets free and not have to pay for them - too late now though. Damm it.
As long as they work good, who cares...I'll let ya know.

Back