Clutch slip + late engagement

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMaxn00b

Reaction score
Noticed my clutch slipping recently when I really get on it. It's intermittent...which seems odd.

Bike only has 6,500 miles on it. Also, the clutch doesn't engage until the lever is almost completely released. Not sure if these issues are related...or if I just need a new clutch. Anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks!

'01 V-Max

The clutch should grab around 1/4 way out from the grip.
You might want to open the master and make sure the return hole is clear.
If it is clear a bleeding might be needed.
Another possible cause would ne the clutch slave but with only 6,500 miles I doubt the slave cylinder is bad.

I opened it up, the fluid was disgusting.

So I bled and added fluid for a bit until it was nice and clear, and the fluid coming out was nice and clear. Put a guitar string inside the hole closer to the edge and it popped right in.

Rode around and couldn't get it to slip...but the clutch definitely doesn't start engaging until closer to 3/4 of the full range...

Bleed it. Search for threads about 'reverse bleeding' using a syringe to push fluid from the slave bleeder upwards until it and your air bubbles emerge at the opened handlebar master cyl. That shoud fix the engagement issue.

Since you found the clutch fluid bad, how do you think your front and rear brake fluids are? Change & bleed them too.
I opened it up, the fluid was disgusting.

So I bled and added fluid for a bit until it was nice and clear, and the fluid coming out was nice and clear. Put a guitar string inside the hole closer to the edge and it popped right in.

Rode around and couldn't get it to slip...but the clutch definitely doesn't start engaging until closer to 3/4 of the full range...

Having same issue here. Only occasional/infrequent and quick slip when getting on it and only notice from 4th before shift to 5th. I have the Barnett Yamaha Spring Conversion Kit installed, with Galfer Stainless lines all around. Bleed all fluids on a yearly basis using Lucas. Bled clutch twice this season. My 06 has 18 K on it. Seems the clutch fluid becomes tinted with a slight fine fine fine black/grey sediment. It settles/sticks to the "roughness" of the inside of the master reservoir. I've installed smaller diameter harder Avon grips from the larger OEM units, but the clutch engages later at about 2/3 out. Haven't tried reverse bleed method, but that's on my scope next.
Anyone have an idea of the price of a OEM slave? Master? replacements? Or suggestions for better aftermarket unit?

Bleed it. Search for threads about 'reverse bleeding' using a syringe to push fluid from the slave bleeder upwards until it and your air bubbles emerge at the opened handlebar master cyl. That shoud fix the engagement issue.

Since you found the clutch fluid bad, how do you think your front and rear brake fluids are? Change & bleed them too.

I bled it last night, but didn't reverse bleed...if I have time, I'll mess with that today.

Checked the brake fluid, and it's extremely clean. The clutch fluid for some reason was disgusting.

Disgusting as I've described? Gary black small sediment looking? Or brown puke colour?

I bled my clutch last weekend and it was black sediment/sludge. My clutch also engages very late (almost out). I have better feel after changing fluid and bleeding, but engagement position did not change.

I have also experienced a slip under high acceleration, 4th gear (two up riding).

My VMax has 19k on the odometer. I think my issue is likely a worn clutch.

Just a datapoint. Will likely replace clutch and do the double d over the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back