Rear tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

invalidsession

Reaction score
Hey fellas, I searched this extensively before posting and I read that a 170/ 80/15 Shinko seems to be the rear tire of choice but I have two questions; First, ALL the vendors on the web say this is NOT compatible with my 07 Gen 1 and Two, why the change from 80 to 90 in the aspect ratio of the tire ? Just dont wanna drop a $100 for the wrong part.
Thanks all,

Chris.

If the 170 had a 90 aspect ratio it'd be very tall with a lot of sidewall. At 80 it's a slight bit taller than stock. That tire size has worked well for a lot of Vmax owners.

I have Shinko 170-80-15 no probs no washer swap either, so far I like em only thing I have to compare them to is my old Dunlops though, seem to be much stickier, can't do burnouts like I used to but that's ok, I'm more of a wheelie guy I leave the burnout's to BeeKeeper lol

The Shinko is definitely WAY stickier than almost any tire you can put on the Vmax.

No washer swap on my 99 either.

378363_451934198173624_1269712188_n.jpg

1064556_596107673756275_158369137_o.jpg

1009537_591848164182226_1780450169_o.jpg

Its a meaty tire and will reward you with good handling and traction. If you like burnouts, this isn't the tire to get.....

Man Todd you sure have had some nice bikes, hopefully when I finally get mine running right i'll have some extra cash so get some pretty parts from you !

Thanks a lot guys, Shinko is ordered :) I've posted before about the lack of confidence I have in my bikes handling and have received many suggestions to improve it. I figured I'd start with the basics (tires) since the Dunglops it currently wears are horrible. The rear is a Dunglop Elite 2 and has plenty of tread left on it but looks like a house brick, spins easily and seems to want to hold the bike upright. I'll report back when the Shinko is mounted and I've had a chance to ride her.

Chris.

You'll love the Shinko compared to what you currently have.

Mine used to lock up in the wet . Other than that , it hooked up very nicely.

I made the switch to radials some years back. It was an investment for sure, but I knew if I could get it to handle & stop , I would probably never get rid of it. One thing led to another ..... USD front end , 6 piston calipers up front , Lightcon 17 " wheels , Michelin radials , notched & braced swingarm , R-1 dual piston on the rear , Works Performance shocks , etc... I probably should have known Yamaha would eventually step up with the Gen II , but at the time I converted , it was 4 years before that finally happened.

Attachments

• Rollies '90 Blue VMax Rear R-1.jpg
    Rollies '90 Blue VMax Rear R-1.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 25
Back