gettting bike off ground for maintanace

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
I have a 2005 VMAX and I find it difficult to jack up with my motorcycle jack because the exhaust pipes are lower that the engine. How do some of you get the bike in the air for maintenance?

I have a 2005 VMAX and I find it difficult to jack up with my motorcycle jack because the exhaust pipes are lower that the engine. How do some of you get the bike in the air for maintenance?

I use the center stand and then use a 2x4 or 4x4 board and a car floor jack and place it on the front of the oil pan.

If you have the crash bars you can put jack stands under those as well to get that pesky floor jack out of your way.

I put mine on the centerstand, then put this jig on my m/c jack. The side rails catch the frame, the bottom is configured to match the profile of the oilpan. The cutout is for the sidestand, which must be lowered.
It can be moved forward or back a few inches - a little experimentation eventually lands you on the center of gravity of the bike....you know this when the wheels leave the ground at the same time.
If the bike is going to be on the jig for any length of time, a safety strap goes over the seat and onto both end s of the jack, AND car axle jacks go under the OEM crash bars.
Cheers!

Attachments

• Lifting jig for v max.jpg
    Lifting jig for v max.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 53
I use a motorcycle lift under the pipes.

Attachments

• Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    Fork_Off_1_800x800.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 65
  • Fork_Off_3.jpg
    Fork_Off_3.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 56
headstrong-motorcycle-video-bikerpunksdotcom.jpg

How high do you need it ?

This is what I use on my bikes.

Attachments

• P1020007.jpg
    P1020007.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 58
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 54
  • P1010558.jpg
    P1010558.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 51
I have a motorcycle jack but where do I place it so it doesn't ruin the exhaust?

I have a motorcycle jack but where do I place it so it doesn't ruin the exhaust?

The pipes can handle it as far as stock and Marks are concerned. I assume other brands are fine as well but cannot testify with personal experience.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Well, When I bought my bike both of the stock pipes were flattened out on the bottom which certainly looked to be from a bike jack, Maybe not, but I don't know what else would cause it. I run a short 2 x 4 lengthwise between them and then jack on it. I also throw a rope up over a beam and tie it to the handle bars or front end so that if it were to tip it can't fall and damage itself or me for that sake.

Matt

Latest posts

Back