Progressive spring installation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
How difficult is it to install the progressive springs that so many of you have changed to? Are there any "special" tools needed or do you simply remove the cover and replace the spring?

If you are installing the stock length Progressive Springs, then yes you can just remove the fork tops and replace the springs and spacers.

I purchased progressive part# 11-1144 which I believe is stock length. Is there a benefit to lowering the spring?

Be sure to support the front of the bike before you take off the fork caps as it would drop as soon as you removed the fork caps. Also, make sure you measure the fork oil level to the proper specs, which should be included with your springs, on Progressives website or in the Vmax service manual.
One benefit would be a little quicker steering, the recommended lowering lengths are either by 1" or 2" using their lowering springs which require fork disassembly to install. If using the 2" drop make sure your forks are in stock position in the triple trees other wise dropping it more than 2" could have the front fender hitting the radiator.

Part # 11-1144 are the stock length springs.
That what I used and I like them 1000x better than the stock springs.
Also as Brian said just be sure to have the front end off the ground and the bike well supported when you remove the fork tops.
I personally removed my forks from the bike because I was replacing the fork seals at the same time.

I do have my forks slid 1/2" up in the triple tress for slight quicker handling though.

What year is your bike? If it is 95 or earlier I would change the fork oil while you have the caps off. Pre 96 has a drain screw at the bottom of the forks to drain without removing your forks. I lowered mine so Had to remove entire front end, just the springs, easy peazy, If some prior owner didn't ruin the nut on you caps like on mine.
Here are two links on how too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWjsB0eHcFo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKKdbwMQ5fY

Matt

If you need a seal driver, I found a piece of exhaust pipe from the local auto part store fit around the fork perfectly. Don't remember the size but it's common and on the shelf, just bring the fork in and find one that fits. Little bit of duct tape around the edge to prevent it from biting into the seal and a couple wacks and you're good to go. Haven't seen anyone else mention this, seems everybody gets an oversized PVC pipe and grinds the edge down to fit.

Not just to change the springs and seals but yes, it really does to change the oil in post 95 models and/or to internally lower it.

Matt

When I added oil to the forks after installing the new springs I neglected to add the oil with the forks fully compressed. does this mean that I have too much oil in there? Either way the difference the new springs made is huge!

Well I know for the 85-92 forks the oil is measured with the forks fully collapsed not sure on the 96-07 fork but a quick check with the service manual would let you know. So I would guess you have too much oil, but don't take my word without checking first or if someone pipes up to let you know for sure.

I have a question on my 1990. I went to change my for seals and am having issues with where the air connects to the to tops sides on both forks. I am able to get the lower clips loose but unable to get it( air colliers on the forks) to slide up and off the forks. Diagram shows there are 2 o-rings also, haven't seen them yet.

figured I would spray them with some lube, and see if I can get them apart. I also noticed it didn't seem to have any preload like in the video of Sean's I have watched. Wondering what has been done to them in the past.... Guess I will measure the springs today also, hoping to get them apart, can install them this weekend if I get new Spring clips and a seal driver.. Trying to have a buddy make me one ASAP. I noticed the PVC pipe is 1 1/2" which seems like it will be too small. Gonna check with Lowes to see what all they have also..

Gently use a punch & ball pein hammer from the underside tapping each side in turn, around the bottom of the collars. Use some WD40 on the top of the collars to help them slide off. They are probably stuck on the o rings, there since factory assembly. Many people just weld the holes shut and eliminate the air suspension collars and balance tube, especially when going w/a Prog. Susp. kit.

Latest posts

Back