Want to black out my new (used) Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrennels

Reaction score
Hey all.

I just bought a 2001 Vmax and want to black it out. Does anyone have any good places to get the black out parts for handlebar/mirrors/windscreen/wheels/shocks/etc.? I would also like to do more of a straighter drag bar style. What are the best tires to run on the Vmax for grip? Can I run a something close to the Michelin Pilot Power's and whats the max size I can run on the front and rear using the stock setup? I attached a couple pics of the Vmax I bought.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Vmax pic 1.jpg
    Vmax pic 1.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 75
  • Vmax pic 2.jpg
    Vmax pic 2.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 55
999532_591793520854357_1532273259_n.jpg

I blacked out my 99 and would have kept going with it if I didnt sell it.

My current 88, which I am giving to my son, I think I am going to do colorful.

I do all my own powder coating and machine work, so all the parts and mods you see are machined and coated by myself.

If I can help with anything let me know.

Ebay is cheap for a drag bar $25 or so gets your a solid built bar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Black-7-8-D...afe-/161404067259?hash=item25946e9dbb&vxp=mtr

Check in the inside measurement though, I think mine was 11 inches in the center if I recall.

Tires, I prefer Shinko tourmaster, its cheap and grips the best. 170 80 15 rear is the largest you can run. And sometimes you might have to swap the washer in back to give you more clearance. Not a big deal. Stock front size I found handles the best.

I cut the inner spoke out of my factory wheel to give it a slightly different look. Its not hard to do if your mechanically inclined.

I just sold a mini factory windscreen last week, you just missed out. But others on here have alot of parts you can pick up.

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum

Todd

Is there anything I should look into replacing right away to get this handling as good as possible? I know it's never gonna handle awesome but I would like to get it as tight as possible. I'm coming from a 2003 FZ1(first bike-18,000 miles) and a 2005 R1(still have-20,000 miles) so I'm used to really carving up curvy roads. All it has is a jet kit and supertrapp exhaust.

Hey all.

I just bought a 2001 Vmax and want to black it out. Does anyone have any good places to get the black out parts for handlebar/mirrors/windscreen/wheels/shocks/etc.? I would also like to do more of a straighter drag bar style. What are the best tires to run on the Vmax for grip? Can I run a something close to the Michelin Pilot Power's and whats the max size I can run on the front and rear using the stock setup? I attached a couple pics of the Vmax I bought.

Thanks!

Kuryakyn IsoGrips can be bought in black, which is what I have on Woona. (my 03) I also bought a set of black RSI snowmobile bars, which will look really sweet on her, as well as be more comfy for my wrist. They are much straighter than stock, and maybe a hair lower. I also noticed on the Kuryakin site that they offer some pegs in black, to match the black grips.

Some year Max's had the wheels black. If you can find a set, those would be a great addition to the blacked out look. The side covers below the seat can be found in all black as well. Some parts you will have to have painted/powdercoated to get the blacked out look, but there are plenty of places that can do that.

For the best grip with the stock wheels, I hear that Shinko tires get some great gripping action in the corners. Thankfully, they are not all that expensive, because they sacrifice mileage for that grip. I run Avon Venoms (AM41/42) on my Max, and they do grip much better than the stock Dunlop recycled condoms. The size tires I run are 120/90-18 and 170/80-15. That seems the biggest you can go on a Max, from my personal experience with these tires. Sadly, they no longer offer the Venoms in the sizes I run, but they offer an "improved" tire called the Cobra. I might try them out after I wear down the Venoms on my ride.

Is there anything I should look into replacing right away to get this handling as good as possible? I know it's never gonna handle awesome but I would like to get it as tight as possible. I'm coming from a 2003 FZ1(first bike-18,000 miles) and a 2005 R1(still have-20,000 miles) so I'm used to really carving up curvy roads. All it has is a jet kit and supertrapp exhaust.

The Avon tires made for a significant improvement. Progressive springs up front, with matching shocks out back will pay great dividends in handling too. I hear from many members here that a frame brace will help stiffen up the frame, helping the bike feel much more positive and sure-footed.

There is a suspension sub-forum you should consider checking out. There is a ton of useful information to be found there.

My bike had the Venoms on it when I bought it in 07, thats all I have replaced them with.. Only issue is I run a 100/90-18, which makes me think I am going faster than I really am. So I hope means no speeding tickets.. I might but the stock size on next time it needs replaced... Oh and I love them, good grip and they last pretty good.

Back