What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a relay set in my headlight circuit. Smartswich from Digitech. Along with a 140/100 bulb from Sean, it's like daylight on low beam. Hi beam is like a stadium light. It exceeded my expectations. Nothing like not out driving your lights on the highway.
Steve-o

That Digi Sync Smart Switch looks like a solid product, better price than the EB kit and, compact too!
I have had the Eastern Beaver relay kit on my bike since '09 or '10 and the has worked well although my connector at the back of the headlight has melted a little. I'm going to email Sean for one of his ceramic connectors ASAP, thanks for the reminder Steve.

I'm glad to hear the cutting was a success. Be sure to follow the physical therapy instructions exactly. They have allowed me to return to work after accidents and to continue in my career.

I went for a ride today. Might not seem like much, but I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand two weeks ago and I thought my riding season was OVER. Happy to report I was wrong.

Picked up a too good to pass deal on a max last week that ran like a 250 rebel. it had obviously been in storage for quite some time. flushed the fuel tank,changed the oil and filter,vboost wasnt working but it is now and air filter was plugged up with mud dobber nests. new filter came in today. got the air box vent tube hooked up, synced the carbs and all seems to be well finally.

So has it run yet? How is it? You might want to consider refurbishing the switches and using some dielectric grease upon reassembly, and doing the same thing through the wire harness connections. That way you can check for loose connections, corrosion, melted plugs, etc.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=17272
Ninjaneer's great write-up can be used for the clutch side switch using the same general process.

Picked up a too good to pass deal on a max last week that ran like a 250 rebel. it had obviously been in storage for quite some time. flushed the fuel tank,changed the oil and filter,vboost wasnt working but it is now and air filter was plugged up with mud dobber nests. new filter came in today. got the air box vent tube hooked up, synced the carbs and all seems to be well finally.

if youre talking to me, yes it actually runs quite good now with the exception i think one of the floats are adjusted wrong

Trans Check for 2nd gear issue:

The shifter linkage and it had some slop, so I added a piece of 0.005" shim stock and a second thin washer behind the retaining ring. Greased it up with nickel Never-Seez.

Road tested the transmission and second gear is popping out 8K RPM, but right back in (for now).

Time to split the cases to repair that. It will never get 'better' on its own. Consider an undercut tranny set of gear dogs while it's apart.

Trans Check for 2nd gear issue:

The shifter linkage and it had some slop, so I added a piece of 0.005" shim stock and a second thin washer behind the retaining ring. Greased it up with nickel Never-Seez.

Road tested the transmission and second gear is popping out 8K RPM, but right back in (for now).

I added a switchblade 2up windshield, a set of leatherlyke saddle bags and relocated the turn signals and lowerer the mufflers about an inch and a quartet to accommodate them.

I saw this unusual Harley Davidson Evolution-engined custom yesterday. Pretty clever design, actually. It uses a (I think) YZF1000 swingarm and shock linkage to convert the H-D into a cantilevered rear suspension. Note the tall, narrow, wheels and tires, which is one of the style trends away from the 'chubby wheels/tires' look so-prevalent in the V-twins until recently. It also uses the 'weathered-look' fake patina on the bodywork. There's a guy locally who does this on H-D customs, he paints select mechanical parts, primarily the wheels and other brackets in bright, Crayola-like colors, and then does the 'aged-patina' body parts. He sells these for ~$40K+!!! Europe and the Middle East are hot for this look evidently.

This bike's finish has a glossy topcoat which I think would be better in a flat finish.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 37
I watched blaxmax completely disassemble his brother bike he calls it-it is less than 10 bikes older than his other vmax. The difference between the way the 2 look is amazing. Looks like he is on his way to bringing another one back to life again.

I saw this unusual Harley Davidson Evolution-engined custom yesterday. Pretty clever design, actually. It uses a (I think) YZF1000 swingarm and shock linkage to convert the H-D into a cantilevered rear suspension. Note the tall, narrow, wheels and tires, which is one of the style trends away from the 'chubby wheels/tires' look so-prevalent in the V-twins until recently. It also uses the 'weathered-look' fake patina on the bodywork. There's a guy locally who does this on H-D customs, he paints select mechanical parts, primarily the wheels and other brackets in bright, Crayola-like colors, and then does the 'aged-patina' body parts. He sells these for ~$40K+!!! Europe and the Middle East are hot for this look evidently.

This bike's finish has a glossy topcoat which I think would be better in a flat finish.

Good looking bike.

I met a fellow Maxxer at a local Cycle Gear Bike Night. He had a tricked out Hayabusa with Carrozzeria wheels. I commented on his choice of wheels, turns out he also has a 95 Max equally tricked out. Silver Carr's, custom paint, lots of chrome mixed with quite a few painted parts. Also lowered, with a cut down seat and forward controls. He said he finished it about 6 or more years ago, and now switches between bikes whenever he wants. We took our Maxes to the Rock Store, where even with all the cool rare bikes over so many years has probably never had two Vmaxes with Carrozzerias! Too bad a fire kept the day smoky - soot everywhere!

We will do another ride on a cleaner day, and more pics will follow :punk:

2mw5xh.jpg

My wife and I ended up doing a 200 mile tour from Albany to the Poconos, south of Port Jervis this past weekend. About 400 miles round trip in a day and a half. We went with a buddy on a CVO bagger. We stopped fro ice cream and a group of riders pulled up on a mixture of sports bikes. As they came over, the question started coming about the VMax - no real interest in the metal flake orange CVO with lots of chrome...

We had a nice ride - the longest that we have taken two up to date.

Had to hustle home on Sunday, so we hit the highway and cruised up at a respectable 75-80 for the first 150 miles (yes we stopped for fuel a few times)

For those that feel like a longer two up ride, I highly recommend an Airhawk pillow for the passenger (stock seat) - smooths out the bumps for the passenger...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine assessed by an adjuster today because someone smashed it while it was parked at work and left :(

Damn that sucks, no parking lot surveillance? It's sad that we have come to a time when you can actually expect someone to run off w/o doing the right thing. My wifes Acura got backed into at Sears last month, the guy actually left his info and insurance card. The car rental place, body shop and our insurance adjuster were all shocked when we told them that the guy left his info and ph #. The sad part being that someone doing the right thing elicits shock from anyone in the industry. I hope you get it sorted out soon. I dont have many extra parts but if you post a list of what you need I'll help with what I can.

Back