Rear axle bolt won't budge but maybe 1/4"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juansvmax

Reaction score
I just had a new/used tire put on a few months ago. I'm trying to remove rear wheel but shop must have used an impact. It won't barely move using PB blaster, 12" adjustable and a mallet. Any suggestions?

Got it!!!! Damn! With help from a 4 foot breaker bar. And I think I lost a testical!
This doesn't seem right. Did guy at shop over tighten or am I a wimp?

And an adjustable wrench is a piss poor tool to use when trying to loosen a nut, especially one that has obviously been over-torqued. You're asking for a slip-off, testicle busting experience using one.

When you re-install that castle nut, the book calls for 85 ft-lbs torque. If you can't get a socket and torque wrench on it due to tailpipe interference, at least get you a good box end style 27mm(I think) wrench to fit it instead of using an adjustable. You should be able to stop short of using a cheater bar to re-tighten. Then put the cotter key back to insure the nut does not loosen.

There has been a lot of discussion that the 85 ft pounds is too high. Many recommend about 35 to 50. I use about 50 with no apparent problems. Do a search on axle torque.

Yeah, I set mine with a box end wrench until the castle nut aligns with the hole in the axle. No idea how much torque I'm actually putting to it, and never a problem in 29 years.

dont quote me but I think the rear axle nut torque is somewhere around 110 ft/lbs. i dont have my manual in front of me but I think that is close so without a good 1/2" ratchet and breaker bar it would seem very tight and hard to break loose (especially for some of us weaklings)

David Justiss
USAF First Sergeant

Latest posts

Back