Lost key!!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am in the same boat. I lost my only key.

I removed the helmet lock and there is a code under the helmet lock.

It is 4 characters long. It is a number, a letter, and 2 numbers

Example 8W54 is that a key code? I read somewhere the key code on Yamahas can be found stamped on under the helmet lock.
2000 Vmax

As was said, pull the bracket mounting the ignition switch a black tag on the underside of the bracket has the code, any locksmith should be able to use that to get you on the road. I had this done < 2wks ago, $15 & $2 ea for 2 blanks, $19 total.

See this post by me, #9542, it shows the tag location, where the blue tape is. http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=8470&page=955

attachment.php

Ok success. I took the helmet lock off , easy as it is just one torx.
The lock smith told me over the phone that according to his book all five locks on
a 2000 Vmax will match the ignition. He charged me 30.00 and cut me 2 keys.
They work. He was also able to provide me with a Key code which will go in the safe along with the spare key. Thanks for the response.

Thanks, Ya me too, and I appreciate it. I never feel like I am the only one when I get on the Vmax forum there is a sense of comradery.

So the rest of the story... I get home from the locksmith and the keys work but the starter clutch that has for the past month been sounding like a bunch of ball bearings rattling around in my clutch housing finally gives up the ghost Whirrrrrrrrr...Whirrrrrr...
I already replaced it a few years ago. So I get to play with my puller again.
All this nice cool riding weather I better get busy. It seems like I am always repairing something but the bike just looks so bad ass and I love that power.:clapping:

Has anyone ever t the key to their vmax?? i either lost it, or the hughes net guy took it by mistake. i had sitting on my stand next to the couch, and went to reach for it, and bam, it's gone, so sign of it anywheres. i think the hughes net guy might have packed it up with his tools, but i was at work when he was here a week ago, and the wife just has no idea :bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head::bang head: so, if i order a new key and switch ($145 at bike bandit) how do i go about getting a switch for the faux tank cover, and for the gas cap?? plus how do i go about getting the gas cap off without the key?? i am way beyond pissed at the moment. and how the hell do i get the new key to fit the gas cap, and also the faux tank cover so i don't have to have 3 different effing keys.:damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::damn angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::teeth angry::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::real mad::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::ranting::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::angry flame::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1::2gunsfiring_v1:

I know hind sight is 20-20,but why do you only have 1 key?My vmax only came with only 1 key.Within 1 week I had another one made as to avoid things like this.I guess that is a lessoned learned.

Ok success. I took the helmet lock off , easy as it is just one torx.

The lock smith told me over the phone that according to his book all five locks on

a 2000 Vmax will match the ignition. He charged me 30.00 and cut me 2 keys.

They work. He was also able to provide me with a Key code which will go in the safe along with the spare key. Thanks for the response.

You state all 5 locks...

I am only aware of 4:

Front fork lock
Ignition lock
Faux fuel tank cover lock
Helmet lock

Where is the fifth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doh!

You are right - didn't think of that!

I was all excited that there was a "secret" VMax compartment that only VMax owners knew about!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know hind sight is 20-20,but why do you only have 1 key?My vmax only came with only 1 key.Within 1 week I had another one made as to avoid things like this.I guess that is a lessoned learned.

Only came with one key from previous owner. Heard blanks are hard to come by for these v maxes. I lose it again, is gonna be NASCAR style. Title switch with a button. It gets stolen I got full coverage.

Only came with one key from previous owner. Heard blanks are hard to come by for these v maxes. I lose it again, is gonna be NASCAR style. Title switch with a button. It gets stolen I got full coverage.

A couple people on here have blanks. I actually got a copy of mine done at ACE hardware with their generic blanks before I found out I could get oem blanks here.

I like Ace Hardware. The local lumberyard closest to me shut down but an Ace Hardware opened in a strip shopping center even closer. The have a great supply of metric fasteners and electrical supplies. It seems like I'm in there every weekend, almost, for projects. They save a trip to the closest Home Depot which is always crowded.

I like Ace Hardware. The local lumberyard closest to me shut down but an Ace Hardware opened in a strip shopping center even closer. The have a great supply of metric fasteners and electrical supplies. It seems like I'm in there every weekend, almost, for projects. They save a trip to the closest Home Depot which is always crowded.

... And when they say they are the helpful place it if true. Sometimes I have a weekend project that requires some sort of fabrication or thinking outside the box. I find the staff to be great for bouncing ideas and finding a solution. On the metric side they usually have everything available in stainless and buy per unit is a nice plus.

Yah,mine only came with one also.That just made me too nervous,a lot of bad things could happen."I am miss place things all the time,forget where I put them"Then I would be screwed.After I got it home from purchase,I parked it until I found a place with a blank.I agree that it took a while to find one.I went to about a dozen places,took about 2 weeks of looking before I found one.But I wasn't gonna risk it and ride only to end up loosing it.Better safe than sorry!IAs far as it getting stolen,Ihave found that if you have found a nice vmax that has been taken care of ,your full coverage is not gonna touch what it is gonna take to replace it in tthe same condition and add ons.I think mine retail books for around $3000 but I got about $6500 in it.For a 95 it's a cherry and it is hard to find a nice one that hasn't been totally customized or abused.

Latest posts

Back