Kawasaki gpz 550

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecifer

Reaction score
My brother in law just got his endorsement and is looking at getting his first bike and asked me if I knew anything about a 1985 kawasaki gpz 550. I don't know anything about them. So I'm asking if anyone has had any experience with them? I would like to recommend a vmax for him but I don't think it is a good starter bike. Here are a couple of pics he sent me. Thanks.

Attachments

• 2015092395164400.jpg
    2015092395164400.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 2015092395164444.jpg
    2015092395164444.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2015092395164532.jpg
    2015092395164532.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 2015092395164427.jpg
    2015092395164427.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 21
I had an 80`s LTD
These KZ and LTD version had issue with alternator stator winding, that toasted easyly.
Rewinded ones have stiffer insulation varnish that last longer

Depends on the price if he can score it cheap and it doesnt need anything go for it , Kawasaki is not making alot of parts for older bikes im restoring a 94 zx7 and alot of the oem parts have been discontinued so keep that in mind before you buy it.

i been building /riding kz 900/1000's for almost 30 yrs
kawasaki builds great bikes,,that little 550 is a sweet bike
you would be suprised just how fast it is if running properly,,
theres tons of aftermarket goodies for it,,if the price is rite
jump on it,

650 would be a decent price for that bike. If he's only asking 650, he'll probably go 500-550 out the door.

Looks like it was one of the ones that had the frame mounted 1/4 fairing. Likely dropped and busted so someone tossed it. Check for front end damage like bent forks.

Other than the fairing, it looks to be pretty much the way Kami soldit when new. That's a good thing as these bikes were often modified to within and inch of their life.

Overall, it looks a little neglected. The chain picture seems to support that. As long as it runs solid, all it takes is a cleaning, some parts (IE: chain and sprockets, etc) and some fluid changing to make them reliable.

They were very popular in their day and great bikes. Once at the top of the sportbike heap. It even did well against the VF500F (it's main competition in it's class) when it came out in 85. Everyone expected the "miniceptor" to wipe the mat with the GPZ550, but it just didn't happen. Whenever a VF500F rider looked over, there was the old GPZ550; making lots of air cooled engine noise, but still there. The GPZ still had lots of fight left in it. Kawi finally dropped the GPZ550 when they came out with the Ninja 600 as the middle weight bike wars heated up (although there were a few year overlap where the GPZ550 was still made as a "bargain" offering). Very "old school" style though. Would be pretty decent as a starter bike. Small enough to not be intimidating by a 550 is big enough to go a fair distance on.

Ridden well enough, those old mounts can surprise newer "sport bikes" if the rider isn't paying close enough attention.

I would add a GPZ750 to my stable in an instant if I ran across one mostly original and at a bargain price. Some bikes just have a "quality" you can't put your finger on. The GPZ series is one of those bikes with that inexplicable quality that makes you always want one....

These gpz 550's very work horses and dependable. Lots of guys used them in los angeles for messenger bikes because they were so dependable and got great gas mileage. The gpz 750 was one of the first to come with a turbo but not quite as dependable. Good bike for starter $550 would be a perfect price wouldn't you say?:clapping:

If it doesn't make death-throes noises, starts easily, and runs OK w/o smoking, then it's probably good. Unfortunately these bikes often were thrashed hard, and received minimal maintenance. Still, if it passes muster, you can expect it to serve as a good bike until his skills level improves, and he decides to buy more bike.

I had KZ 550/750/1000's along the way and they each had something endearing about them to enjoy. The 550 is a great town bike, very maneuverable, plenty quick, and easy to maintain. Yet it can still go faster than any H-D Big Twin if you really want to. They sound busy as speeds climb, but keep the oil changed and you should be able to get good use out of it.

If he has another $500 to throw at it, he should be able to fix things like leaking fork seals (assuming the fork tubes aren't pitted), a battery, tires, brake pads, new brake fluid, fork oil, they typical stuff you need to do to a neglected bike. I would pay special attention to the cables, checking them for routing, chafing, pinched casings, frayed ends, lubrication (you have a clamp-on cable oiler attachment, yes?), electrical harness wear or crappy repairs, function of all lights and switches, and adjusting the controls to fit the new owner.

Assuming " endorsement " is the same as a motorcycle driving " license " , I would recommend a dirt bike for his first bike. Lots of valuable lessons can be learned on dirt , and mishaps , as a rule , won't kill him.

I would spend at least $4000 on a vmax that was 2004 or newer. Older bikes always have issues. The vmax is a great starter bike if he/she respects it. If it is someone that has not road any motorcycle ever than I would get a cheep mini bike or small dirt bike and teach them how to climb hills and start stop and all the in and outs and than put then on the roAd. Imo.

I've posted here about this very idea in the past, and yes, learning to ride in the dirt will make road riding a piece of cake. Learning to accelerate, turn, and brake on loose surfaces w/marginal traction gives great 'carry-over' into street life on a bike. As Rollie said, falling in the dirt usually is no big deal, unless your leg or arm gets caught between the bike and the ground against the joint or something. A valuable lesson to learn is to push-away from the bike when you inevitably do go down instead of holding on because you think you can 'save it.'

Assuming " endorsement " is the same as a motorcycle driving " license " , I would recommend a dirt bike for his first bike. Lots of valuable lessons can be learned on dirt , and mishaps , as a rule , won't kill him.

Thanks for the replys. He just called and said that the owner already sold it but I told him be patient and he can find a good deal on a bike in the fall. Some day when I have more storage space I would like to find an old Japanese bike and restore it . Thanks again.

Major +1 to starting in the dirt. Especially Fire-medic's advice on tossing the bike. I like to ride hard and especially climb hill's and I know I'm not the best rider but I"m sure as hell a pro and recognizing when to push the bike away and avoid crashing and getting whacked by my bike. Knock on wood I've never had to put that skill to the test on the street but I know my dirt experience gives me a lot more confidence that I'll do it rather than freeze to the bike.

Back