Interesting Story

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
So last Monday night i'm just sitting around chillin watching TV, and my phone rings it's my Uncle Mike. He's an older Vietnam era veteran served in the Army flying choppers with distinction. I says hey what's up Unc ? He starts telling me about his Goldwing he's been trying to sell cause he's done riding getting older and what not. Says it's in fair condition but no one seems interested in buying it. We chit chat about the bike for a few. I remember when he bought it new in 2000 was real nice and shiny then but i hadn't seen it in awhile. So i wasn't thinking of buying another bike i already have 3. So i says well uncle sounds like a nice bike but i'm really not looking to buy a bike right now. That's when Uncle Mike says well i wasn't going to sell it to you i was going to GIVE it to you. I said WHAT? Really ??? You sure you want to do that? He says yes. I said well that sounds like an offer i can't really say no to. So i went and picked it up today. Looks like he left it outside in the weather for awhile seat need a redo but it starts right up runs well stops does everything its supposed to. Here's some pic's it's a 2000 GL 1500 with 44,000 miles 25th anniversary model.

Attachments

• 20151008_130023.jpg
    20151008_130023.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 20151008_130014.jpg
    20151008_130014.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 89
  • 20151008_125959.jpg
    20151008_125959.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ATT_1444349198760_20151008_130006.jpg
    ATT_1444349198760_20151008_130006.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 78
Bikes are like women, dogs and guitars, no such thing as too many.I have 4 Harleys, a Beezer, a Trumpet, and a Vmax and each one is unique and equaly enjoyed by me.

Cool. Give it a good home and lots of love but don't get the MAX jealous.

I'm happy for you. Good things happen to good people. A little bit of elbow grease & polish will do wonders. What a smokin deal.!! Remember to pass the favour on one day.

Thanks guys, I know it won't take much to get her looking good again, definitely will pay it forward someday, I know when my Uncle said something about selling it someday, I told him no way i'm not selling it you gave it to me and we're family I couldn't sell it for profit, that put a smile on his face that was priceless. Does anyone know of some really good plastic renew stuff, I know there's tons of stuff out there and they all claim to be the best, but does anyone have personal experience with something good?? thanx

Great story to hear. Enjoy. I like surprises. I was gifted a 76 KZ-900 by my riding buddy/boss, when he passed away. I guess he saw me drooling over it often. It will get painted the diamond green with OEM pin striping. It's a keeper.

Thanks guys, I know it won't take much to get her looking good again, definitely will pay it forward someday, I know when my Uncle said something about selling it someday, I told him no way i'm not selling it you gave it to me and we're family I couldn't sell it for profit, that put a smile on his face that was priceless. Does anyone know of some really good plastic renew stuff, I know there's tons of stuff out there and they all claim to be the best, but does anyone have personal experience with something good?? thanx

I like Meguiar's PlastX on plastics. It seems to nourish and moisturize plastic. I use it to take the yellow off my wife's car headlights. I use it on anything made of plastic and sometimes use it as a wax on painted surfaces. Can you tell I love the stuff. By the way, I'm a materials & processes engineer.

Thats a hell of a deal!
And I hear a lot of people say that the 1500cc GW's are the best ones.

The 1500 is a good bike for touring if that is what you want but the 1800 is alot better in the performance category. 0-60 in less than 4 sec.very impressive for a 950 pound dresser!the best of both worlds,good touring bike with enough power to play a little.

"Free" is usually good. A "free" bike and frozen-solid engine, missing carbs, foam-is-all-that's-left seat; dented, rusted gas tank; frozen brakes, well, that's someone's headache I wouldn't take even at that 'price.' Maybe if it was an old, old Harley, a Vincent, or something...

This is a good deal for you, ride it, keep it stock, and if you ever decide you don't want to keep it, sell it and donate the $$ to the Wounded Warrior Project, Honor Flight http://www.honorflight.org/ or another worthwhile cause benefitting the US military veterans.

I have a good story about getting a free XS650, from the original owner, a LEO where I was in fire/rescue.

As a suggestion, you should invest in one of those roll-in wheel chocks form Harbor Freight, and move the bike back on the trailer, more-centered over the axle, to reduce weight on the tongue, to tow better, and to better-secure the bike in-place. Sixty bucks to protect your bike and tow it more securely. http://www.harborfreight.com/automo...tands/motorcycle-stand-wheel-chock-97843.html Is there any L-angle under the perimeter & side-to-side of that plywood? And that ramp looks like the convex has become concave from a too-heavy load. Safety first. I've had experience w/taking care of someone after his 600 lb bike toppled over while trying to load it, and accidents from towing mishaps.
97841_zzz_alt2_500.jpg

Last edited:
Back