Always wondered

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Why in hell has Dunlop never ever or any other tire manufacturer for that matter, produce a 15" radial? Ive seen plenty of front tires ranging from 110/120/130 90/18", 19" radial front, but nooooooooooooo! rear end 15" radial?
Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Simple, not enough of a market. You can always go to the "Dark Side," running a car radial, w/it's 'square' profile. Not recommended for safety, and most shops probably won't mount one if you brought in your wheel, since it's not designed to be a bike tire. Liability.

You could try a radial for a scooter.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5800/i/pirelli-diablo-performance-rear-scooter-tire
160/60/15 is an available size.
Load rating of 67 which is between 661 and 694 LBS.
Speed rating of H which is 130 MPH.

Stock tire size is 150/90/15 which is a diameter of 25.63"
This tire size is 160/60/15 which is a diameter of 22.56
Approximately 3" shorter than stock which would lower the bike 1.5"

I can't say its safe, or a good idea.

Well, always knew its about availability, demand, etc but you would figure perhaps after a few yrs, there would be something! No matter, sounds like a swap out a coming

I'd run a Shinko Tour Master 230 rear with a good Sport Touring front tire (like a Bridgestone Battlax BT-45V) before you spend the cash to switch over to radials.
You'll be amazed at how much better the bike handles than it does with the Slippery OEM Dunlop's or Bridgestone's.
I've ridden with quite a few guys that have radials on their Vmax and with that combo I never had a problem staying with them (or even in front of them) in the twisties.

If I knew how much just putting 17" wheels on with radials would transform my ride, I'd have done it sooner. This suits me and my short legs. I now sit on the bike flat footed with knees bent. The Dunlop's that came with the bike were plain scary. I'd skid instead of stop, and the rear would kick out on me in tight twisties. If staying with OEM wheels I'd at the least put good rubber on like Dennis mentioned. Anything but those white lettered Dunlops. They looked nice imho.
Steve

Last edited:
You could try a radial for a scooter.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/5800/i/pirelli-diablo-performance-rear-scooter-tire
160/60/15 is an available size.
Load rating of 67 which is between 661 and 694 LBS.
Speed rating of H which is 130 MPH.

Stock tire size is 150/90/15 which is a diameter of 25.63"
This tire size is 160/60/15 which is a diameter of 22.56
Approximately 3" shorter than stock which would lower the bike 1.5"

I can't say its safe, or a good idea.
This would make you run pretty high RPMs going down the road... I notice a difference in my Avon 170/90-15 and the M88( tire is bald..) that is on my 95'.not sure which size it has think its a 150/80-15..

Why in hell has Dunlop never ever or any other tire manufacturer for that matter, produce a 15" radial? Ive seen plenty of front tires ranging from 110/120/130 90/18", 19" radial front, but nooooooooooooo! rear end 15" radial?ul
Anyone tion would have any thoughts on this?

It's a piss-off for sure. They could have put a different size wheel on the back, at least.
You'd think by the time they upgraded the ignition and forks a new wheel could have been designed. There would have been lots of retrofits sold.
Steve-o

Steve-o said, "They could have put a different size wheel on the back, at least.
You'd think by the time they upgraded the ignition and forks a new wheel could have been designed. There would have been lots of retrofits sold."

Or you could run one of these, VMax hub, 5-1/2" X 18" so you come close to a stock wheel/tire height even w/a low-profile radial. A brand-new wheel rim. Expensive to manufacture, though. Bolt-in-place after you mount a tire.

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 56
Steve-o said, "They could have put a different size wheel on the back, at least.
You'd think by the time they upgraded the ignition and forks a new wheel could have been designed. There would have been lots of retrofits sold."

Or you could run one of these, VMax hub, 5-1/2" X 18" so you come close to a stock wheel/tire height even w/a low-profile radial. A brand-new wheel rim. Expensive to manufacture, though. Bolt-in-place after you mount a tire.

attachment.php

Who makes it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back