R1 rims on Gen1..?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdeitz1979

Reaction score
I have a local, well sorta local Vmax guru that can have the earlier FZR1000 rear machined and re-hubbed to fit my bike. What I was wondering is if I could use the R1 rims. Like up to an '03 ? Maybe some of you have already done this, which is why I'm poking around on here to see what the results may be. Thanks for any info in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is his price he's getting? Got any pics of both sides of one of his VMax wheels?

I don't have pics. I know he has to machine the Vmax hub out, machines the center out of the fzr rim slip fits and welds to make it a functional rim. He charges $500 to work the rims. I hear hyabusa and fzr and I think even a Honda set used, so I wonder about the R1.

I think one of the biggest issues on the R1 wheels is the hub center. I think the hub center is too small?

Talked to him today, says he can't do the R1 rear, so I'm dropping off the FZR1000 rear. I will update after works all done.

That's cheap.

Though anyone wanting an 18" will be out of luck for the later FZR1000 donor, as it's 17".

Like Sean said the diameter of the new rim hub is key. I used to machine a new billet hub rather than reusing the VMAX one. The welds would be better. Be careful with hayabusa rims as I believe them to be 6" so may have a problem with fitting them on a stock swinger.

The R1's are also 6" on most years so it's also a tight fit but can be done. Had a friend sub out a busa conversion to Kosman which turned out nicely but required a lot of work.

Be careful with hayabusa rims as I believe them to be 6" so may have a problem with fitting them on a stock swinger.

True. Busa rears are 17x6.
I was wanting to go that route but ended up with an older zook 750 rear with a vmax hub welded in.

Fits quite well in one of Sean's offset swingarms.

So I have my rear of getting worked on. My buddy and I were talking about the fzr 1000 and the fzr600. Is there a difference in the rim between the bikes? On up to say '95?

'94 FZR1000=170/60 x 17" rear, 130/60 x 17" front tire
'89-'95 the same

'94-'95 FZR600R
120/60 X 17" & 160/60 X 17"

Ok, how about the fzr 600? I used the fzr1000 rear for my swap. Center hub same on both, along with tire #'s

Latest posts

Back