Coolant over flow

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Well, there are new hoses, new thermostat, drain cock assembly, the only thing thus far that has not been replaced are the sensors under the radiator cap thingy and radiator cap. Now, as I run the bike, the black overflow tube is pushing coolant to the catch tank and draining out. I can release pressure on the overflow tank and the draining subsides, what am I missing here? Any thoughts fellows? thxs for any feedback.

Well, there are new hoses, new thermostat, drain cock assembly, the only thing thus far that has not been replaced are the sensors under the radiator cap thingy and radiator cap. Now, as I run the bike, the black overflow tube is pushing coolant to the catch tank and draining out. I can release pressure on the overflow tank and the draining subsides, what am I missing here? Any thoughts fellows? thxs for any feedback.
I'm guessing the radiator car is weak. Does the fan come on? If you short the fan to make it run while the overflow tank is pressurized does the pressure decrease?

my next thought is the cap, damn, its 11 yrs old, fan does not kick on yet, have not really let it run at idle long enough to really get it up in temp so it will kick on. I rcvd one sensor alrdy, the big one, tiny one is on back order, of course it is. Anyway, Im gonna install the new cap and wait for the other senosr and go from there, funny though, all was well before I started screwing with it, replace hoses, thermostat etc, now I jacked it up along the way! Oh yeah, new starter and solenoid, starts up great at least!

Update,
For those in the know, if your coolant system is fine, no leaks nor cracked hoses, leave it alone!! I'm learning the hard way all of a sudden, the thanks I get for preventative maintenance.. I ran the bike at idle til the fan kicked on, mine activates when the gauge is just below the red line. Riding it seems ok, no streaming coolant to the tank, but, as always, it will start to drain as the airflow stops and it was beoching hot here in Va Bch, So, as mentioned in the thread from other interested parties, hopefully, its the cap, being 11 yrs old may not have any bearing, but the way things are going, might as well replace huh? To recap, new hoses, nothing is pinched, new sensors, new Tstat, installed correctly, lined up in the slot, drain cock (new) in the Off position, BTW, new drain cock has an etched line at the 1400 position, which is clearly visible now! If it still drains after all is said and done, I'm gonna tear it down one more time, or hell, replace the damn radiator!!

I feel like I'm missing something.
Why did you replace the drain cock assembly, hoses, etc...?
What is the original problem?
Are you saying the bike is overheating now? Is coolant spewing out the expansion tank onto the ground?

The coolant manifold has 2 sensors. One is for the temperature gauge.
One is for the electric fan.

If the gauge works and the fan works, the sensors are most likely fine. The fan sensor can be tested per the procedure in the manual.

Your not missing anything. Bike had no issues other than the hoses becoming old and hard. Bike is 11 yrs old, hoses were starting to crack and become hard, drain cock was totally fucked up looking from all the road grim and rocks beating it to death. You could not even see the face of the plastic bolt. My point is, just replace all the components (Tstat) so it will last another billion yrs. Starter, solenoid, V/R/R, generator, etc. Now, it drains coolant as it gets hot at idle. stops draining when underway, I closed the temp switch so the fan will run, draining stops, its gotta be the cap, its about what? 14-16psi? Other than that, bike runs fine pulls fine, idles fine, since I fucked with it in this manner, its paying me back.

Still draining, new cap too, (OEM) my next check is the Tstat, anybody?

I had an issue with my bike running and puking coolant. I went with a better thermostat, comes on sooner. Don’t recall the brand, and I hooked my fan to a switch. I didn’t do the temp sensor upgrade, and took the cheap way out, but honestly don’t even turn my fan on hardly ever. I have a GPI racing radiator with a racing thermostat in. I would most definitely look at the thermostat!!! Everyone says they last forever, but their wrong. Everything mechanical fails, even with proper maintenance. But, anyhow, mine did your same deal. It would literally run for a couple minutes, and barf coolant. Just a FYI, my radiator was installed when I built my bike, not because of the problem, it was in the bike when I had the issue. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it worked fine till you "fixed" it?

Re-trace you steps. Double check your work. Make sure the parts are properly installed. Make sure the system is properly bled with cap off till all air is out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Problem solved, finally! Very nugget head on my part. Coolant manifold drain tube? I had it plugged into the wrong inlet to the catch tank. Now its gtg. Thxs one and all for the troubleshooting tips. Next time I decide to fuck with shit, I'll snap pics on areas Im not familiar with. I should of snapped pics. When I was flying KingAir fixed wings, an old pilot trick was to snap a pic of all IFR settings for each frequented air space. Saved tons O! time in dialing and clearance issues.. Big lessons learned here even though it was a small mistake of misaligning two tubes of the same diameter and the close proximity of the inlets on that plastic tank.

Latest posts

Back