Clutch noise?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuathetop

Reaction score
Hopefully someone can help me here. I have a strange noise at engine idle that sounds like a squeal near the bottom of motor. It sounds like squeak or squeal like sound and when i engage the clutch it goes away. If i rev the motor it doesnt increase with rpms. Has me baffled. Any help diagnosing this would be helpful.

Tap your exhaust heat shields. Jiggle your shifter. I don't know what it is, bu those shields have caused interesting noises before.

Hopefully someone can help me here. I have a strange noise at engine idle that sounds like a squeal near the bottom of motor. It sounds like squeak or squeal like sound and when i engage the clutch it goes away. If i rev the motor it doesnt increase with rpms. Has me baffled. Any help diagnosing this would be helpful.

The pressure plate bearing might be worth inspecting.
It's not too common I'll admit. While your in, check the clutch assembly.

What is the total mileage on the clutch basket? Generally once they reach about 20~25K the start to make the noise you are describing. This is very common (not to worry) as the friction disc reaction fingers wear notches into the outer basket.

Bike has 20 k . after a good warm up it goes away. My a friend described the noise as a chicken coup sound. shifts fine and all was just concerned a problem was starting .Thanks guys for your help. Im new to the vmax although i have owned several yamahas in past. Yhis bike has always been my dreambike...Look foward to riding it this season.

Back