Clutch issues once again

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well last year had clutch issues.. 35k on the bike and slipped bad. Changed the clutch and fluids in the fall rode it and seemed ok.. but the bike just didnt have the power my other max's had.. This one- marks 4-2 - morleys air box mod and carbs .
Been on several rides and seemed about the same, but the last 2 rides (about 30 miles) the clutch started slipping , again, 1st ,2nd what ever gear it slips.

Just not sure where to go, I had some issues with the new clutch initially, pulled it , checked it, talked to it , reasoned with it but its doing it again and fed up... thanks in advance with help/suggestions. Tim

when you say nothing came out, do you mean like nothing comes out of the hole at all? cause if that hole is not plugged and you pump your clutch lever it will shoot a stream of fluid out of the hole so much that you have to be careful it doesn't get on your paint, if it's not doing that it's definitely plugged.

I will cover the bike and try it again.. I did not pump the master cylinder with the cover off.. sorry 1st time when I did it..Thanks for the advice. TIM

You ain't using some kind of "too slippery" synthetic oil, or other additive in this Vmax, are you?

One mistake that I did, was when I changed my clutch, I didnt have the plates aligned properly. So when I tightened them down, I deformed the small retainer spring, that goes on top of the clutch spring. When I couldnt get the clutch to work, I tore everything down, and fixed it (aligning the clutch plates and disks properly) After that when my clutch got hot, it would still slip just a tiny bit. It was the clutch retainer spring that I had deformed. It had lost some of its spring tension, and after I replaced it...everything was good.

I am using plain dot #3 brake fluid and I am about to work on it tomorrow! I had the alignment issue last year when I changed the clutch.. I will first check the master cylinder and move on from there..

When the clutch slips its quite a bit in any gear. Taking off normally but any load it slips and seems to be getting worse... Thanks for the help , should know more by tomorrow.

You ain't using some kind of "too slippery" synthetic oil, or other additive in this Vmax, are you?

I am using plain dot #3 brake fluid and I am about to work on it tomorrow! I had the alignment issue last year when I changed the clutch.. I will first check the master cylinder and move on from there..

When the clutch slips its quite a bit in any gear. Taking off normally but any load it slips and seems to be getting worse... Thanks for the help , should know more by tomorrow.

I was referring to your MOTOR OIL. Some synthetics in the MOTOR will cause significant clutch slippage. Our Vmax clutches bathe regularly in the motor oil.

yes, I put rotella synthetic in .. so can I just drain and refill with conventional oil or do I have to do something else.. I still am going to check the master cylinder out . Trying both tomorrow. THANKS

Just put in rotella regular oil.....it might take a little bit of time to work its way out of the clutches themselves.....but it should get better.

Latest posts

Back