Kenda K673 Kruz 170/80-15

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjmac5

Reaction score
Just installed a Kenda K673 170/80-15 on the rear and it fit with about 1/4 inch of clearance without flipping the washer. Tire cost me $95 shipped, looks nice and has a real deep tread. I cant really speak to performance but it has good reviews

I already had a Kenda on the front so I was looking for the same brand. I hadn't read any discussion of the brand so I figured I would throw it out there as an affordable tire from a well known company.

Attachments

• 2013-10-11_17-27-36_161.jpg
    2013-10-11_17-27-36_161.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 2013-10-11_17-23-03_540.jpg
    2013-10-11_17-23-03_540.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 2013-10-11_17-22-45_779.jpg
    2013-10-11_17-22-45_779.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2013-10-11_17-20-40_638.jpg
    2013-10-11_17-20-40_638.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 62
  • 2013-10-11_17-20-28_457.jpg
    2013-10-11_17-20-28_457.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 67
Let us know how it handles and how it wears. Ive got a Shinko tourmaster 170/80. Its cheap, sticky, but only good for about 4000 miles, and so always looking for a possibly better tire.

Kenda tires were what you bought in the 1970's if you couldn't afford something good, like Dunlop, Avon, Pirelli, Michelin, or Metzler. I had a few different discount tires, and they all were slippery, wore quickly, and were simply a means to an end. Better than having something bald, but not a performance tire. That was a long-time ago, I hope their products have improved. Back then, the cheapest was Cheng Shin, then Kenda or Nitto, Carlisle, and then the 'better' brands. I found you got what you paid-for.

Kenda tires were what you bought in the 1970's if you couldn't afford something good, like Dunlop, Avon, Pirelli, Michelin, or Metzler. I had a few different discount tires, and they all were slippery, wore quickly, and were simply a means to an end. Better than having something bald, but not a performance tire. That was a long-time ago, I hope their products have improved. Back then, the cheapest was Cheng Shin, then Kenda or Nitto, Carlisle, and then the 'better' brands. I found you got what you paid-for.

Time will tell. Reviews were very positive in regards to performance and tread life. You could make the same statements about Toyota in the 70's and Hyundai in the 90's. I will update when I have more personal experience in regards.

Time will tell. Reviews were very positive in regards to performance and tread life. You could make the same statements about Toyota in the 70's and Hyundai in the 90's. I will update when I have more personal experience in regards.

I am gonna disagree w/you on that one! The reason Toyota was so-successful from the 1960's to the present is because they built quality-in, instead of using a large number of inspectors after the car was built, looking for things that needed to be addressed before the car was released to inventory and distribution.

My parents bought their first new Toyota, a Corona, equivalent to a Camry today, in 1968. I was driving by-then and had learned on a '62 Beetle cabriolet they had bought new. They were so-impressed w/the Corona, they bought a top-of-the-line Crown, equivalent to a Lexus, the next year. It came w/disc brakes, a 4-speed w/console, a SOHC inline-six (just like a BMW CS or CA!) and a rear seating area usable by and comfortable for two American adults. We were living in MI and there was resentment by domestic auto workers until they rode in one, and then, fed-up w/the crappy build quality and reliability of the time for American cars, they began buying Toyotas. They had to park in the far-reaches of the factory parking lots because they weren't domestic products. Soon-enough their co-workers noticed that as the miles racked-up on these Japanese interlopers, the frequency of repair was far-less for them and they displayed far-fewer problems w/time and mileage accruing. more and more of them began showing up in the parking lots.

What Japan had done was to invest in W. Edward Demings' total quality management ideas, and also in the best-possible manufacturing machinery. Workers were trained in producing quality products at every step of the production cycle, and had the ability to stop the line if they saw something that needed to be corrected to prevent defective products from continuing down the line. It worked.

Demings' work for production improvements, TQM, was largely-ignored in his native country, the USA, but Japan welcomed him w/open-arms, and he helped turn them into a manufacturing powerhouse not just-in autos, but in nearly-all the manufacturing 'Japan Inc.' did. Eventually USA manufacturing came-around, but by then Japan had a solid position as a source of quality products and a workforce well-aware of the benefits of what Demings brought to them.

I am gonna disagree w/you on that one! The reason Toyota was so-successful from the 1960's to the present is because they built quality-in, instead of using a large number of inspectors after the car was built, looking for things that needed to be addressed before the car was released to inventory and distribution.

My parents bought their first new Toyota, a Corona, equivalent to a Camry today, in 1968. I was driving by-then and had learned on a '62 Beetle cabriolet they had bought new. They were so-impressed w/the Corona, they bought a top-of-the-line Crown, equivalent to a Lexus, the next year. It came w/disc brakes, a 4-speed w/console, a SOHC inline-six (just like a BMW CS or CA!) and a rear seating area usable by and comfortable for two American adults. We were living in MI and there was resentment by domestic auto workers until they rode in one, and then, fed-up w/the crappy build quality and reliability of the time for American cars, they began buying Toyotas. They had to park in the far-reaches of the factory parking lots because they weren't domestic products. Soon-enough their co-workers noticed that as the miles racked-up on these Japanese interlopers, the frequency of repair was far-less for them and they displayed far-fewer problems w/time and mileage accruing. more and more of them began showing up in the parking lots.

What Japan had done was to invest in W. Edward Demings' total quality management ideas, and also in the best-possible manufacturing machinery. Workers were trained in producing quality products at every step of the production cycle, and had the ability to stop the line if they saw something that needed to be corrected to prevent defective products from continuing down the line. It worked.

Demings' work for production improvements, TQM, was largely-ignored in his native country, the USA, but Japan welcomed him w/open-arms, and he helped turn them into a manufacturing powerhouse not just-in autos, but in nearly-all the manufacturing 'Japan Inc.' did. Eventually USA manufacturing came-around, but by then Japan had a solid position as a source of quality products and a workforce well-aware of the benefits of what Demings brought to them.

I guess I should have said the same could have been said about Japanese Imports in the 60's and Korean Imports in the 90's.

Yes, Deming had a major impact on Japanese Manufacturing and the early adoption of his concepts by major Japanese Companies such as Toyota led to quality products. However, most Japanese companies had not truly embraced or implemented these concepts in the 50's, 60's and 70's. As a result most Japanese imports in the 60's and early 70's were viewed as "junk" and most products lived up to that reputation.

Although Deming's concepts were valuable, I think it is the pride and discipline of the Japanese culture that lead to their ultimate success and manufacturing dominance. If they didn't find the answer to their problems through Deming, they would have found the answer someplace else because that is the type of culture they had during the 50's-80's.

When your parents bought a Toyota in 68, they were trail blazers. The reason that Japanese cars became so popular wasn't some quest for quality, it was the "Oil Crisis in 73". That's when Americans final started to yell "Uncle" and really start to buy small cars in significant numbers. Quality was icing on the cake.

Regardless of timing and which Companies did or didn't implement Deming's concepts, the point is that companies evolve with manufacturing and quality usually improving over time. Kenda may or may not fall into that category. Shinko produces a quality product at a very inexpensive price point, so you do not always get what you pay for. Sometimes you get more.

Just chiming in.

NITTO tires today are some of the best performance rubber you can buy. Street/Strip hot rod guys that can afford any tire they want are buying these. Ran em on the wife's blown Z and couldn't have been more pleased.

Japanese autos were definitely perceived as shitty in the 60's.

I have no idea of the truth of that perception tho. I know Honda, Datsun and Mazda were building great products by the early 70's.
Although their products weren't much better than US stuff regarding corrosion issues. Their mechanicals were great.

Jap bikes in the 60's, although nostalgia may tell us different, were really kind of shitty. Ever try to work on one? The bolts heads were made of clay practically.

Korean bikes today are still pretty shitty

Check on that last statement 10 years from now.

Time marches on.

I read your point expressed, but I still disagree.

I'm unaware as-to your age, but I am old-enough to recall goods which were made in "Occupied Japan," or the 'made in Japan' label being not as-evocative of quality as you pointed-out. Because the Japanese manufacturing capacity was wiped-out in the war, they were actually at an advantage in having to replace their manufacturing capacity. Once the infrastructure was replaced, the government subsidized investments in manufacturing toolmaking, and R & D for marketing and distribution. They quickly-hit upon the need to produce manufactured goods since Japan was not a raw-materials possessor, and had to import its materials for conversion into new products. It's a good business model, if you don't have the natural resources, import (relatively) cheap raw materials and process them into in-demand consumer goods selling for much-more. With the government backing for financing and R & D, and production/distribution, they made markets for products which allowed their economy to prosper. The profits were poured into the same processes, and their gross domestic product grew immensely. Exports of things like consumer electronics, automobiles, and precision instruments such as medical equipment, with the capabilities to export finished products to any world-wide port capable of accepting their shipping fleet is what grew the Japanese economy. W. Edwards Deming's ideas were a part of a total plan to integrate state support of multiple manufacturing sites into a successful conglomerate which would result in a positive cash flow for the country. It succedded in a way that saw the growth of Japan's economy in a way that became the envy of every other country, and which has been copied by other Pacific-rim countries such-as Taiwan, South Korea, and Singapore.

As to your comment about the oil crisis/embargo of 1973, and that driving the sales of smaller cars, I guess you probably weren't around for the 1950's when behemoths like the 1959 Cadillac with it's quad-bullet taillight lenses and sky-high tailfins were produced, the epitome of "longer, lower, wider, and more-chrome" that Detroit produced. Rambler had 1950's cars like the Metropolitan and the American, along with the Nash Rambler; VW was selling more-and-more Beetles, and the #1 seller in small imports for 1959 was the Renault Dauphine. For 1960, the domestic manufacturers began to release smaller cars because they saw the sales of small, economical imports steadily-growing as the 1950's drew to a close. These domestic import-beaters included the Corvair, the Falcon, the Tempest, Olds F-85, Buick Skylark, Dodge Dart, Plymouth Valiant, and later in the decade, the Mustang and the Camaro/Firebird. Compared to the 4000+ lb. 19+ ft.-long domestic cars, these were easier to drive, more-economical in operation, and sold in steadily-increasing numbers through the 1960's and the 1973 oil embargo just helped the sales trend. The Japanese cars weren't distributed nationally until the late 1960's and their reputation was not "junk," because if it was, they never would have been able to make the leap to sustained sales and continuous growth of marketplace share, spreading throughout the entire country. Remember the Yugo? It was imported by an entrepreneur who eventually produced his own boutique sports car-Malcom Bricklin. The Yugo was an Eastern European FIAT several generations-old, whose low price was attractive until the reality of its horrible fit, finish, and function drove it from the marketplace. A similar thing happened to the Bricklin sportscar. At the same time, the Japanese were producing quiet, comfortable, economical to-purchase and to-operate vehicles which continued to grab more market share. The domestics finally-began to try and produce second-and -third generation designs like the Pinto and the Vega, while Chrysler tried its hand at importing European designs as stop-gaps until their own designs could come to-market. These cars were around long-before the 1973 oil embargo, which you claim was the reason Detroit made smaller cars. The only people who classified the nationally-distributed Japanese cars beginning in the late 1960's and never-stopping as they gobbled market-share, as-'junk,' were the domestic franchise owners, who resorted to smear campaigns to try and discredit the Pacific Rim interlopers. "They're not-safe, in a collision, you'll die!" It sounds like someone, somewhere was listening to such alarmist rumors, just-not the marketplace which continued to buy Japanese cars in record numbers, decade after decade after decade. GM, which owned more-than two-thirds the domestic market, saw its share eroding as Japan sold far-more autos here than at-home. Again, that was part of the "Japan Inc." plan, to sell its domestic auto and small truck production to maintain a positive balance of trade, along with the other products of Japan's economy, being very-successfully marketed to the world. Now, almost half the domestic auto sales comes from imports.

Companies survive by producing widgets people want, that they believe they need, not because "time passes." If "time passes, and things improve in manufacturing" was the case, the English motorcycle manufacturers and Indian should never have gone out of business. Domestically, the example of AMF ownership is a business school model of failing to invest in manufacturing improvements while driving production numbers ever-higher while the buying public was still willing to spend money for the name even-as the dissatisfaction with the product cost sales, and almost caused the company to fail after 80 years of production. Only new product and a return to emphasis on build quality at the initial expense of production volume was able to return the company to marketplace share, once the corporate management members were able to purchase the company back from AMF. H-D embraced TQM, and won-back dissatisfied customers who were looking at marketplace alternatives. Sure, some 'die-hards' struggled-along cursing the indifferent build quality of the AMF products during that period of ownership and continued to repair their rides by the side of the road, or tried-to, meanwhile, Japan Inc turned out hundreds of thousands of cruisers in v-win and inline-four configurations.

So, I respect your opinion, but the marketplace has been responding in a highly-profitable fashion for Japan Inc since the 1960's because of state-sponsored investments in manufacturing, marketplace-targeted research of a highly-effective nature, while embracing TQM, and reaping the benefits of such efforts due-to economy, efficiency, effectiveness, and responsiveness in their business practices. "Pride and discipline" didn't win WW II for them, but their biggest success has been the ascension of the Japanese economy beginning with the 1950's as they began to grow their manufacturing, and had the national government assisting their business model from acquiring raw materials to worldwide distribution of finished product. After-all our die-cast engine cases say, "made in Japan." Every-one of us on-here bought-in too. I love my 'junk!'

Despite all-that, I like to read what others believe, and their reasoning. I may learn something!

I had a set of Kendas on my Goldwing switching from E3's . I found the Kenda tires to be much noisier and unstable than the E3's. It almost felt like I was riding in a rut in the road. I know the wing is a much heavier bike than the Vmax but they were rated for the wing's weight. I took the Wing to Missouri and back. When I got home I put on a new pair of Dunlops and all was back to normal. Lesson learned!

Back