Is this wheel too bent?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's next for this wheel?

• Go ahead and use it. It's not that bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Use a dial indicator to measure the runout. If you can't beg, borrow or steal one, use feeler gauges at the widest gap, to approximate.
Cheers!

I've had far worse repaired with no problems. I don't remember the company I used but I found it in an add in Cycle World Magazine. I've had two sport bike wheels repaired after some nasty crashes one was bent and cracked and both were perfect when returned and a lot les expensive than a new wheel I did need to have them re painted though.

You can get that repaired and repainted for like 60 bucks. Thats what i pay for far worse condition rims around here.

I believe the tolerance is .004" or .006" for runout....that looks excessive to me but as mentioned, it should be straighten-able. I dealt with 'Rim & Wheel Works' in Waltham MA., but just googled for the link and they are closed...:confused2: Google search should turn up someone in your area.

The clicking is from the socket taped to the fork leg.
Thanks, guys. I'll see who does wheel repair around here.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I would not ride on it as is. Your local bike shops can direct you to a reputable wheel restorer. It , as is , is definately not worth your and your bikes butt to save some time or $.

Would cracking be a problem? I hit a nasty pothole on a Virago many years ago. The dent in the wheel was not too bad, but the crack definitely made me toss out the wheel.. If it's holding air, you're probably Ok, and I've seen tires squirm around more than that wheel is doing... Keep a close eye on it, and ride very carefully till you're sure of the wheels intent to fall apart, causing a firey death....

It definitely holds air. The hop actually bothered me more than the weave. Both rotors track straight, and the tire doesn't look bad as far as axial movement. I just know I'd never let a bicycle wheel get that out of true, so I thought I'd ask.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

The best way to go is to have it straightened. Plenty of shops around the country. We used to have one here that would do motorcycle wheels but the guy had some health issues and just not sure he will be doing any work again.

I found one for $40 on ebay, so that should be here in a few days. There's a local place that charges $250 for all motorcycle wheel repairs??!?!?! That's totally nuts. Even for $75 (which another guy quoted me), I can get this ebay wheel and see if it's as described -- "straight and true". If it isn't, I'm gonna return it and get this one worked on. I think this damage was done during the wheelie that destroyed the fork seals, broke the fork brace, and scared the PO into not riding it ever again.

Well atleast your finding out about it now....and not later.

I originally thought one of my china rotors was bent, but I just hadn't finished tightening down all the bolts. Now I gotta shave a little bit off my calipers at the threaded mounting locations to center the rotors and it's almost ready for the road. I spun it again today and it just looks terrible to me. It's possible that it's not noticeable at some speeds, but with my luck I'd get to 70mph and feel like I was riding on cobblestones.

Well one of these days we need to go riding somewhere. Do you think it will be ready for Eureka Springs?

Back