Kosman wheel help...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, I hope my new tire fits. If the last tire was a fluke, I'm screwed. I don't think Sean has any notched arms on hand right now.

Posted with my thumbs.

I don't have any on hand since they are made to order (i'll get your email answered up tomorrow). On a side note, i think I have a good Kosman 17" rear wheel coming in soon.

Sean

But will help and actually it does help with moving the driveshaft
from the swingarm wall. Does it?

Yes, I agree.
I agree that it can help create clearance IF you are notching the swingarm. Also, It can help to center the whole swingarm/wheel assembly.

I beg to differ, there is a slight amount of room available by using 2 adjusters. I can move 1 mm left without any problems and run the 190. Did it.
Steve

Steve, please don't take it the wrong way but, I just don't understand.

How can using two adjusters create any additional clearance? The wheel bolts to the swingarm. If you move the swingarm 1mm left, or right, the wheel moves the same amount. How are you creating clearance by shifting the arm with adjustable pivot bolts?

Yes, I agree.
I agree that it can help create clearance IF you are notching the swingarm. Also, It can help to center the whole swingarm/wheel assembly.

How can using two adjusters create any additional clearance? The wheel bolts to the swingarm. If you move the swingarm 1mm left, or right, the wheel moves the same amount. How are you creating clearance by shifting the arm with adjustable pivot bolts?

No problem Mike.

Yes, I agree.

You are right Mike, my bad. The movement will only correct offset a bit.
Steve

I'd go with the 18"...looks great & there are plenty of tire options (Vrod uses 18x5.5). I also read, somewhere, about the advantages of 18" vs 17"...just can't quite remember where I read it...but it made sense...at least to me...

I'm actually running a converted Vrod rear wheel...yes I know...sad but true...

Attachments

• photo (8).jpg
    photo (8).jpg
    48 KB · Views: 40
  • photo (12).jpg
    photo (12).jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 38
I also read, somewhere, about the advantages of 18" vs 17"...just can't quite remember where I read it...but it made sense...at least to me...

I'm actually running a converted Vrod rear wheel...yes I know...sad but true...

The v-rod wheel looks good.

18" PRO:
1. 18" wheel advantage is that a 180/55/18 tire (probably most commonly used size on converted vmax wheels) is very near the OD of the OEM vmax tire. Actually, it is just a touch larger. This results in keeping RPMs nearly the same as stock at any given speed.
2. Most people prefer the look of the larger OD 18" tire. It fills in the fender so to speak.

18" CON:
1. Tire selection is limited when compared to 17" offerings.

17" PRO:
1. Tire Selection is vast

17" CON:
1. A 180/55/17 is 0.83" shorter than a stock rear tire. RPM's will be higher at any given speed. This *could* be a pro.... If you are looking for quicker acceleration, a shorter tire will help
2. Doesn't fill up the fender.

However, if you can squeeze a 190/55/17 on the bike, it will only be .4 inches shorter than stock. A 200/55/17 is nearly identical to the stock size.

I believe that if the bike is built right, 17's look OK. Gotta pimp my pic of the dirty vmax.

I have an 18" Kosman, 5.5" wide. Biggest tire I could fit was a 170/60-18 and that required the washer swap. The swingarm narrows the farther you go in. Diameter is .4" more than stock. Have a 110/80-18 on the front. Diameter is .87" smaller than stock.

Ride and handling is excellent.

Lots of good information here. I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply. It looks like i'll be going with a 17" for the rear.

I have a Metzler Marathon 180/55/18 on my 5.5 inch Vrod rim...fits in stock swingarm with some room to spare on each side (no washer swap required)

Latest posts

Back