Got me some Delkevic mufflers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LOL, no I never did get around to making one. You guys sure hold a man to his word. It's raining here now, but I will dig the GoPro out and make some nice HD video when the rain stops.

Just curious because I am not starting to switch gears and think that I might just do Del's. I just can't get the sound I want without Marks exhaust, and I don't want to spend double what a Voo Doo system runs.

Here ya go. Sounds pretty sexy! Keep in mind that I have a UFO 4-2 and Delkevic shorty ovals, so yours may sound different depending on setup. I know that they sell slip-ons with adapters for the stock collector box. If the adapters are as well-made as their cans, it would be money well spent.

This is with the VBoost coming in at 6k like stock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGexwHvJaVI

And this one is VBoost on full time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPhkjD9YF0Y

Thanks, I've been pretty happy with it. Next thing I have to do is address my second gear issue. Debating a full rebuild while I have the engine out and apart. I guess funds will dictate that later in the year.

Part of what I hear and notice is that the Delkvics have a popping sound with stock head pipes, but with aftermarket head pipes, it seems to disappear. Not sure if that has to do with the scavenging affect of the different crossovers or not.

Also seems that open ended cans, without restriction and without turn outs, don't pop as much.

The pop sound I am referring to is a frequency wave of sound coming out. To me it sounds like pop pop pop pop pop. Marks exhaust was deep and sounds like bass thumping frequency and not so pitched.

Red your's has the bass sound thump to me. I can hear a little pop out of it. But better than most of the Delkvics I hear.

Just got in from the garage, got the Delkevics on. 14 inch stainless ovals. The original muffler fighting me all the way, I guess 30 years of rust and crap stuck it together well. 2 of the clamps had rusted through, but every other one, and the center bolt all came out easily. Lots of PB blaster, and going through my entire vocabulary of cuss words twice, and it fell off with a small tug. The pipes took a huge beating, so Even though I was gonna offer them free to anyone needing them, they're really junk now.

The Delkevics fit perfectly, I just bought inch longer stainless bolts to install the straps. Everything lined up, they didn't even need much aligning to look even on both sides. Left the baffles in, as I was looking for the mellow tone, not bleeding ears.. The bike sounds great! Deeper tone, just a bit louder. Couldn't be happier!!

Attachments

• P_20150425_112623.jpg
    P_20150425_112623.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 51
  • P_20150425_112606.jpg
    P_20150425_112606.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 66
Bill, those are the ones I've been looking at for awhile. Is there a noticeable difference in sound between those and stock?

I had almost convinced myself to go with the shorter version.

Deeper more mellow tone. I didn't run with baffles out, yet. Maybe a few decibels louder, noticeable but not ear splitting. Bet they're loud as hell without the baffles! I thought about the shortys, but I like the look of the longer mufflers.

Deeper more mellow tone. I didn't run with baffles out, yet. Maybe a few decibels louder, noticeable but not ear splitting. Bet they're loud as hell without the baffles! I thought about the shortys, but I like the look of the longer mufflers.

I have the same mufflers on my 85 with the baffles out and they are not that loud.

Well, now I've got to yank them out to have a listen... Do they come out easy? I read here some folks had to tap them in with a hammer when installing them.

Ok.. I removed the baffles. They slipped right out, and they are now relaxing on my toolbox, as there is no way in hell I'm going to put them back. The bike sounds great!! Not a whole lot louder, but definitely 'ballsier'sounding. Thanks for the advice about removing them. I probably would have let them alone, and not removed them..

Ok.. I removed the baffles. They slipped right out, and they are now relaxing on my toolbox, as there is no way in hell I'm going to put them back. The bike sounds great!! Not a whole lot louder, but definitely 'ballsier'sounding. Thanks for the advice about removing them. I probably would have let them alone, and not removed them..

I felt the same way when I took mine out. :biglaugh:

I think that for slip ons they have the best look and sound for the max. I used the original side bolts from the stock exhaust to mount the straps with a nut on the other side and I thought it look fine. I do like the shorter version myself but that's just me. Have fun with them.

Attachments

• user7467_pic9306_1404951214.jpg
    user7467_pic9306_1404951214.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back