Front End stiffness

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

torszula

Reaction score
After replacing the springs with Progressive springs, the front end of the bike feels like it is high and stiff. There is very, very little bounce in the front end. Maybe this is normal but before I changed them I could easily bounce the front end up and down by simply sitting on bike and pushing it up and down. Before I changed the springs I needed to add about 14 ounces of fork oil so I was definitely low and most likely need to replace the seals as well. Is this normal or did I possibly add too much oil? I added oil to about 4.7 inches.

Thats normal.....front end dive is a bad thing....especially if you hit the brakes hard. Take the bike out and ride it....and see how it feels.

What Traumahawk said. Heck, just changing from 10W to 15W can make for a noticeable change. I went one grade up on my Shadow, and the improvement in the ride was astounding. It does not take much of a difference in what is used to make for a huge difference in the quality of the ride.

I bet when you take her for a spin, you will be very pleased.

To get the best out of your new set-up you will need to set the static sag. Sounds like you have too much pre-load and/ or too thick or too much oil.

Progressive recommend that you use the manufacturers spec. oil (10W) and capacity.

If your not getting any or proper amount of suspension travel of which there should be 5.5"" or so (See Max Midnights' link to setting Static Sag) I would be sure you have the spacer cut to the proper length.

I used Harley Davidson Type E fork oil. Im not sure if it is 5W or 10W weight as Harley tries to keep that a secret I suppose. The oil was filled to about 4.75 inches from the top. After installing the spring and washer the spacer protruded from the fork about an inch. This was the same length it was before it was replaced. After taking it for a ride, the front end does compress a nit when I brake hard. I think I got so used to riding the bike with low fork oil and springs that have 30,000 miles on them that I became accustomed to the ride and took it for normal. I haven't even tried to add air to them yet. I doubt I will need to.

I used Harley Davidson Type E fork oil. Im not sure if it is 5W or 10W weight as Harley tries to keep that a secret I suppose. The oil was filled to about 4.75 inches from the top. After installing the spring and washer the spacer protruded from the fork about an inch. This was the same length it was before it was replaced. After taking it for a ride, the front end does compress a nit when I brake hard. I think I got so used to riding the bike with low fork oil and springs that have 30,000 miles on them that I became accustomed to the ride and took it for normal. I haven't even tried to add air to them yet. I doubt I will need to.

:surprise: Right there's your problem. :rofl_200:

Your bike now rides like a Harley. That type E is probably their hard tail formula. Change it out to whatever type they sell for a soft tail and you will probably get some spring action back in your bike. :biglaugh:

What???? Aw come on guys..........I'm only joking. :hihi:

11178228_1030210380340176_4108019837406024200_n.jpg

Man I got two Yami's and one Honda, Wife says I get 10 babes, whoo hoo ! I better go take a nap so I'm ready when they get here !!!

Latest posts

Back