Who has a front fork swap and how was it done

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you are right,smaller wheel only affect bike height...

i have lowered the forks 3/4cm up the triples,but if it was lower i wouldnt mind...
i could always make some extensions,but what about the rake(i think its rake that is called in english,its the angle of the forks)?
old sportsbike like fzr weren't so radical as recent oneson rake but how it compares with vmax and how would it affect the handling?
it only as 41mm tubes vs 43mm from the vmax,isnt that going back?

Decreasing the rake that's in the trees gives you less bar angle at full lock. I took a front end off my 86 for this exact reason. You could barely turn the forks before hitting the stops.

It's not even really the rake, but the offset in the trees. It does effectively reduce the rake, but it causes the issue mentioned above. It also changes the trail, which makes handling... Interesting... If those two numbers aren't carefully matched. I don't know how, but I know it does. It has to do with how far the front can be turned before it feels like it's going to fall into a corner. (think super long chopper forks).

Here's a quick reference for angles up front.

Attachments

• chassis-rake_trail.jpg
    chassis-rake_trail.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 69
I can't deny I like the look. But, I put the money into the stock forks.+1 Fred,on the 17" wheels aiding clearance & handling greatly. New bushings, Progressive springs, Ricor's, and I'm adding a custom brace next, made from a lower triple tree. I'm not sure how effective it 'll be, but it can't hurt. Awaiting powder coating and install. I think my forks & suspension are capable beyond my riding skills, now. The $1500 or so goes into a stand-by engine, or two.
biglaugh.gif

Steve

Black & C.F. '98 - Custom triples fabbed by " Pierre " , with Kaw ZX750R complete front end with forks stuffed with Race Tech guts .

Attachments

• First  Pictures Chip 369.jpg
    First Pictures Chip 369.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 85
  • Group 3   5-28-12 627.jpg
    Group 3 5-28-12 627.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 89
Rollie, that's a sweet ride!!

Tommes, as a former machinist, I like drawings! I'd be interested in looking at them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fit a complete R1 front end incl. triple trees into my vmax.
Did some sleeves to make the fork longer and installed stiffer springs to match the higher weight of the vmax.
If you want, i can send you drawings of the parts that have to be machined. I am running this setup sind 5000 kms, no problems yet!

Can we get a pic or two?

The rear brake for a radial caliper setup is pretty neat, I don't think you 'need' it, but it's a clean install. Given the nature of the work, I would like a 'lighter' looking carrier for the caliper. Maybe a series of holes instead of the single elongated oval hole?

Adapting the cush drive to the donor rim looks like others I have seen, an expedient way to get a wider, larger wheel. The weld looks extensive.

Not reading Dutch, and too-lazy to use a translation software, I think that's a Hall-effect speed sensor on the rear caliper carrier? In the oval cutout? For the speedo?

I like the headlight bracket, and the quick-release front axle. B'ol d'Or, anyone?

The LED front turn signals in the bar end weights is subtle.

The jewels on the cyl head bolts (Yamaha tuning forks) is another subtle touch.

Can you imagine an MV Agusta owner coming up behind the VMax, seeing the MV Agusta tailpiece, and thinking, "aha, another MV!" only to find himself staring at a Gen 1 VMax?

Latest posts

Back