Throttle Cable

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N34stryker

Reaction score
OK, so I had my Carbs rebuilt by dannymax, and I cannot for the life of me figure out where to install the throttle return cable. It has 2 little cylinders and I only see a place for one. By cylinder I am referring to the part that holds the cable in place. So that's how I installed it. Now my throttle sometimes sticks open. I am assuming the top cylinder that isn't attached anywhere is getting hung up. It has a low idle problem too which is probably part of the linkage problem, but there's no sense in messing with that if the cables are jacked. Any ideas? Preferably pictures. I have the service manual, but I'm not finding the images I need. Damn it is a pain to access that stuff. Thanks!

i appreciate the responses. I just don't know where the inside cable (the return cable I guess) attaches. I only saw one hole so the top cylinder isn't in anything and gets caught sometimes.

Paging anyone that can explain/ show how the return works/ mounts. To me it looks like there is one bracket that the cables fit into.

Paging anyone that can explain/ show how the return works/ mounts. To me it looks like there is one bracket that the cables fit into.

I think he is looking for where the ball end of the cable goes into the slot-Dannymax showed in a photo how it took it it out with a hook and others used bent needle nose pliers but i cannot find the photo. If you roll the throttle open you can see the slot better. Scroll to #9 below.

The return cable and pull cable fit into the exact same throttle bracket. The pull cable fits into outer guide and wraps around bottom.

Mark

The return cable and pull cable fit into the exact same throttle bracket. The pull cable fits into outer guide and wraps around bottom.

Mark

Ah yes, now I remember with the help of Danny's photos and Jeff's memory jog. PITA if I remember and much easier to just take the junction box apart.
I learned that after a couple stints of taking off and reinstalling the ends into the bracket. It's like a spring loaded cam with two slots for the cable ends to fit into. The cables kind of wraps around the cam to provide the pull in either direction(clockwise/ counter-clockwise) dependent of which way you twist the throttle.

Ah yes, now I remember with the help of Danny's photos and Jeff's memory jog. PITA if I remember and much easier to just take the junction box apart.
I learned that after a couple stints of taking off and reinstalling the ends into the bracket. It's like a spring loaded cam with two slots for the cable ends to fit into. The cables kind of wraps around the cam to provide the pull in either direction(clockwise/ counter-clockwise) dependent of which way you twist the throttle.

Sorry, didn't see this till just now...........:worthy:

It's called a bellcrank BB, the return cable (for lack of a better term) is set up as a way to return the throttle to idle in the event of a malfunctioning throttle cable.

These are the original photos I posted plus a couple others.....in the first photo, the cable with the two barrels is the 'return' cable...and the more difficult one to attach.

Attachments

• Throttle cable removal.jpg
    Throttle cable removal.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 32
  • Throttle cable removal-1.jpg
    Throttle cable removal-1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Throttle cable removal-3.jpg
    Throttle cable removal-3.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Throttle cable removal-2.jpg
    Throttle cable removal-2.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 28
i appreciate the responses. I just don't know where the inside cable (the return cable I guess) attaches. I only saw one hole so the top cylinder isn't in anything and gets caught sometimes.

The upper barrel on the return cable doesn't attach anywhere and may very well be hanging up somewhere, it's tricky to thread it around the choke rod and cable pockets....I'll see if I can get a photo for you.

The return cable goes in the rear cable pocket (photo #1)
Photo #2 shows the cable coming out the bottom of the cable pocket and unattached to the bellcrank. (Throttle rod removed)
Photo #3 shows return cable barrel inserted in bellcrank
Photo #4 shows slack removed from cable

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 31
Thanks for the help everyone. So I believe I did have it installed correctly. The brass colored barrel on the return doesn't go into anything. Maybe there was just too much slack in the cable and it was getting caught. I guess if it were hanging up on something that would explain never having a consistent idle or it sometimes sticking at 3000-4000k rpms. That is a fun way to ride in traffic. In the picture, the blue doesn't go into anything. The red arrow is the return barrel and the yellow is the throttle open, correct? Thanks!

Attachments

• throttle linkage.jpg
    throttle linkage.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34
It looks like you got it- you can pull on that cable and see if it opens all the way properly.

Latest posts

Back