Airbox mods list- what I did

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My max runs good but a little Rich, if I raise the Y box 3/8 to 1/2 will it lean things out?

Does any one have pictures of there Airbox mods even the raising of the Y box.

I am better with visual than I am a long write up.

Thank you

The way our carbs work that would almost certainly make it run even richer. Adding more airflow through the carbs will make the carbs add more fuel.

So now I am very confused.

I have read by adding more air it will run leaner and now I am reading that it will cause it to run Richer.

^ Vmax carbs are CV (constant velocity) so if you add more air in, the carbs will pull more fuel in to try and compensate.

Last edited:
The carbs on the Vmax are constant velocity carbs, or CV carbs. When the engines flow more air out....IE better flowing exhaust, So more air flows out, so more air will flow INTO the carbs. Because the carbs are trying to keep everything in balance, if more air is flowed INTO the carbs, they will dump more fuel as well. Thats why if you put on a better flowing exhaust, you have to LEAN out the carbs.....they are too rich at that point.

Fuel flow changes if airflow changes in a Venturi style carb because of this theory

In fluid dynamics, Bernoulli's principle states that for an inviscid flow of a nonconducting fluid, an increase in the speed of the fluid occurs simultaneously with a decrease in pressure or a decrease in the fluid's potential energy.

No venturi effect, no fuel sucked, they are CV thank to the vacuum slides addon. All carbs CV or not use the venturi effect.

This looks cool

Attachments

• instru cluster.PNG
    instru cluster.PNG
    135.5 KB · Views: 61
You're about 25-30 years behind on your testing. Pretty much all those mods were tested the first year the bike came out. What can work is lifting the "Y" piece by adding washers/shims under it. This still gives the airflow some velocity but add's more volume. Then removing the "Y" section or drilling holes through it. Of course then enlarging the opening in the plastic lid to match the opening of the actual filter. I would highly suggest AGAINST plugging off the PCV system as that helps to pull a vacuum on the pistons to help make more power and burn cleaner.

Stave seven hybrids have been tried as well with longer and shorter stacks. Even adding the filters to the tops of the velocity stacks or simple copper extensions (works well if you are wanting to run the pod filters).

Our kit is a hybrid of that and even it went through a number of changes before we settled in with the current design. Our current design tends to make the same peak power as the stage seven without giving up the bottom and mid range power. Our kit has also been tested (by other companies not affiliated with us) and made more power then even flatslide carbs (though that is not something we advertise it to do).
This is an old thread I know, but I’m having issues with #3 Carb Slide not moving when asked and ran across this while searching. Its good basic knowledge for folks that are new to the mechanical side of things. To gain intel there own before getting into a discussion that might as well pig Latin. Not sure how to renew it as intel.

Back