Coolant Change

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why distilled water? Both the Yamaha manual and Haynes Book says regular water.
Unless you have hard water, then distilled.
I went and bought distilled, didn't think of using the Brita pitcher like someone else said.
At least now I have some jugs to mix/dispose of the stuff...

Tap water, even if purified, can still have traces of minerals and chemicals. This can leave deposits in the cooling system. For the $0.92 cents that a gallon of distilled water costs I would consider it worthwhile.

But what a difference it made! I just went on a multi speed/gear hour long ride and the needle never even got to three o'clock. It used to run up near the red arrow...
I think my distilled water was .62 cents!

I read somewhere where regular ole green coolant will work. I have a bottle of Prestone Concentrate coolant laying in the garage and would love to use it up. Will that work? I dont see anywhere on the bottle that says it either is or isnt for aluminum motors. It just says all makes and models.

I'm about to replace coolant, among several other things. I have replaced it before. I removed the plugs on the cylinders and flushed, but was and still am confused about the drain plug. Last time I just removed the plug and let the coolant out. Thought I would do it the right way this time. I have read that put drain valve in drain position to drain, and to refill. Then close to run. That makes no sense. Also removing the plastic coolant plug and plug on pump would allow debris to escape where turning the little valve pretty much just lets fluid out. Am I missing something?

Well, I see how it works now. I changed the coolant today and flushed. Still think just removing the drain works fine, especially with several flushes. O ring was good and there is no leaks. I guess the thing is too, the drain plastic hex head is hard to read and the on/off marking on the pipe is either a little line, or there is a scratch there. But I am pretty sure installed in the 'run' position the drain valve has a hole that aligns with the small screw that holds it in place. While in there I am installing a manual fan switch.

Latest posts

Back