Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I must say that is one thing I really appreciated living in the States - you can pretty much do anything you want to your bike and get away with it. I saw so many 'creations' being ridden in FL that would never get licensed for road use in most of the places I've lived in Europe. I'm only just discovering Australia but I think it's pretty tough there too.

No, I highly doubt you'll find car tires on sportbikes anytime soon.

That said, the bit about "car tires can't possibly work" is like trying to argue why a plane will not take off, as you're flying in it.

Well it obviously does, loads of people run car tires on bikes and have been doing so for a long time, with what they claim no ill effects and many benefits.

People tend to think of car tires as a rigid square, and that any degree of lean will tip it onto the sidewall, causing the bike to just slide out, cue fiery explosion and death. I've seen a Goldwing with an automotive rear tire drag it's floorboards around corners, and yet did not instantly slide off the road and explode. There was ZERO wear on the sidewall of the tire. In fact, some of the rubber "tits" were still on the edge, just past the start of the bend away from the tread, so it was obviously not tipping onto the "corner of the square" as people insist happens. He reports that it took about 5 minutes to "get used" to the car tire, noting the only real difference it that it takes a bit firmer counter-steer to tip it into a corner, which makes sense. He's noted better straight-line stability, and honestly, cruisers usually spend about 99% of their time in a straight line. At the time he had over 15k miles on the rear tire and it still looked practically new. Said he got at best 8-9000 out of a MC tire, and the car tire cost about 60% as much, for what he expects to be about 400% more life.

Like I said I doubt you'll be seeing car tires on MotoGP circuits anytime soon, but for the cruisers that have limited cornering clearance by design, they've proven to be just fine.
I do not see why not on a bike that is not meant to be leaned over like sport bike. And any bike that has a huge fat back tire would for the most part at the same as a car tire. It would take a little to get used to it and after you did, you would not notice it.
you get in a wreck, maybe your fault, maybe not. When a sharp attorney spots your car tire on a motorcycle, "someone's gonna pay!" The pictures taken at the accident scene may reveal this, and the condition of tires is always of interest in motorcycle accident investigations, among other equipment and its condition.
The same can be said for a car the changes his tires from oem size to a 20' - 24' wheels and tires they change the way the car stops and turns. And when you change your turn signals out to a smaller one that is not dot and get hit same thing.

There is a shop over in San Marcos Texas that actually pushes the idea of running auto tires on large Cruise Liner bikes. I have seen it done and dont really think its a good idea. I mean sure you pay much less for a tire and the mileage life of the tire may be more but I like to know that when I go into a corner Im not going to be fighting the bike to lean. I used to have a bike with a side car and even on that I ran MC tires. Maybe Im wrong and there is a benefit to it I just dont see it.

Interesting idea, however, from what I know, the MC tires are much softer than the car tires hence their shorter lifespan. The softer tires also help with gripping the road as well as stopping, so with a car tire, the rider would be at a disadvantage, am I wrong?

i went to the darkside on my VTX 1800 and will never change it back but i dont think i would do the deed to my max

For shits and giggles I called 'Tire Rack', I asked for a tire that would be compatible with the 150/90 R15. He quickly ask for what type of vehicle, I told him. You would have thought I told him there was no god and he was going to hell. ' I can not sell you a tire that fits a car for a motorcycle and then tells me that car tire's sizes end "5's" like 225/75 and Motorcycle "0's" like 150/90, then goes in to the spill how car tire is a harder compound and will 'slide' when used on a motorcycle, and that the shape will make it harder to lean and then if the bike slides that I would crash and die' I laugh and tell him not to worry I was checking on something. Then he quickly tells me that he could not sell me any tire knowing that I was going to use it for a motorcycle.

Hahaha that's funny stuff right there! And it's a fact - no licensed tire dealer/fitter would ever put a car tire on a bike wheel, especially in the sue-happy states..

The only way I would ever use car tires on any bike would be with a sidecar that never got detached from the bike.

Car tire = made to run flat
Bike tire = made to run at leaning angles

There is a bright side too :cool:

I push my tires to the limit, and all to often by accident. There times when reading the road is difficult and youve got to lean and brake for all your bikes worth or go trail riding. I want the best I can get, my tires have saved my ass to many times to remember. Give me MC tires or give me death:punk:. Just my humble opinion

If I had a bit boat of a cruiser I'd put a car tire on it.

Remember that car tires do not always run exactly flat....everything has a camber angle. Cars handle much better if the tire slightly "leans in" to the turn. Why is this? Because tires flex and "roll" toward the outside of the turn from the weight of the car turning, by adding a camber angle, it compensates for this, helping to keep the tire's tread flat, improving grip.

MC tires do have a softer compound than most DOT automotive tires, designed for better grip at heavy lean angles. The problem here is that when you're in a straight line, that super sticky rubber isn't needed and you're getting short tire life with a center worn down to nil and edges that are still like new.

A lot of sportbike tires now have dual-compound, with a hard rubber in the center, and soft rubber on the edges. Somehow I doubt that technology will ever make it to cruiser tires.

A lot of sportbike tires now have dual-compound, with a hard rubber in the center, and soft rubber on the edges. Somehow I doubt that technology will ever make it to cruiser tires.

That technology has been available for cruiser tires for a while, but not advertised loudly. It's with the advent of sport touring bikes, and sport bikes used widely in street applications that the dual compound has become more common in sport applications. When I started riding in '99 I used quite a few Bridgestone Spitfire bias-ply tires on a Magna, which are dual compound tires. (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/tire-tyre-guide/Bridgestone-SpitfireS11.htm)

Currently, some of the best bang for the buck tires IMO are the Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Pilot Road's which are dual compound.
Long life and amazing traction wet or dry. They are both aimed at the sport touring segment and assume a slightly heavier bike. I've gone through a few sets in each, but not yet on the vmax. Some sizes are avail in a heavy-load spec too... a good option for our bikes with 17' rims.

My buddy with a Nomad tried to talk me into it when I was contemplating Kosmans so I could run radials to replace the OEM Dunlops, but he logs 15k+ a year, on a Nomad, so yes, straight up and slow. I finally just went with a set of Shinko Tourmaster bias plys (170/80-15 on the rear). They handle great and look good too.

Hmm, interesting. Didn't know there were any dual compound bias tires.

I'd think this would be a major selling point for a tire, wonder why it hasn't been advertised more?

wow, i would never put a car tire on a motorcycle. the dark side seemed kinda cool til i read what it meant!

i have a 2003 VTX 1800R running on the Darkside for the last 10K plus miles and I like the set up on it. I run a Good Year Triple Tread Radial. My experience has been positive in all riding conditions including emergencies. There is about a 200 mile learning curve and after that I really dont feel any difference with it. What convinced me to try it was the fact that while reading and researching it on the Darkside website there was no one that hated it so much they took it off asap. There is a picture of that setup of my VTX in my album on this website. Now as for my Max, I would not do the deed to her. Its a cruiser set up not a sport set up.
have a nice day
Hwystar1

Some people like to eat worms, larvae, and such, "to each his own," guess I'm just too damn stubborn to try your culinary delights! Same goes for the car tires-put them where they belong. About the only place I can see they may belong on < 4 wheels is a Can-Am Spyder or a sidecar rig.

Currently, some of the best bang for the buck tires IMO are the Dunlop Roadsmart and Michelin Pilot Road's which are dual compound.
Long life and amazing traction wet or dry. They are both aimed at the sport touring segment and assume a slightly heavier bike. I've gone through a few sets in each, but not yet on the vmax. Some sizes are avail in a heavy-load spec too... a good option for our bikes with 17' rims.[/QUOTE]

I have run 2 sets of roadsmarts, great tires, incredible traction, but the dual compound is smoke and mirrors. I got only 3000 miles out of the roadsmart rear tires but did get the front tire to last as long as 2 rears when i lived in Texas. Honestly, I am only getting 3000 to 3500 miles out of any rear tire and not much more on a front since moving to Arkansas. We have very rough asphalt and very few straight roads!!:clapping: I have noticed, if i could take more left hand turns my front tire would last longer.:ummm:

Ouch Barry, that's some ridiculously short tread life! I've managed 7000-9000 miles from mine, but on a 550lb sport touring bike (Triumph Sprint 1050). Some of that was 2-up in a 4 day Kentucky backroads tour. Typically 32-34psi front; 36-38psi rear. My fronts get double the treadlife my rears do, like you.

This area gets hot, but I'm sure not close to Texas heat (what's your av summer temps?). What psi do you run?

Latest posts

Back