Any V-Max riders gone to the Dark Side?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess there's a reason they are called ' car tires ' :ummm:

Too all of you who have commented negatively, have you visited thread I posted? If not, please do.

The guy makes some pretty solid points and backs it up with lots of experience.

Back in the fall I came upon a new Stryker in a twisty section of Hwy 49 here in the Sierra foothills. Followed him through a few turns, each turn was a series of corrections: swing wide, cut in, repeat, about 3 times per turn. I was on my VMax, which doesn't handle nearly as well as my Magna. Even so, I took him inside on one of his "swing wide" portions of a turn, blew past and after the very next turn, never saw him again. It was very disconcerting watching him wrestle the bike through the turns, and I was happy to get past him. I've heard all the darksiders' claims about how much cheaper they are, how long they last, and how great they handle, etc. I'll give 'em the first 2, ain't buyin' the last.

Too all of you who have commented negatively, have you visited thread I posted? If not, please do.

That was the first thing I did. I can see a lot of his arguments, but I still don't buy it.

SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III

And this vid just reinforces my main point which the guy in the original link doesn't really ever address - whenever cornering you're riding on the corner edge of the tire. You can clearly see the tire lifting - in every turn he's not riding on the flat threaded surface designed to be in contact with the asphalt.

I never thought you'd be riding on the tire flanks - that's just stupid. But, that corner of the car tire is not made/designed to hold a bike at leaning angle, and especially on wet roads I'd bet anything the thread pattern on that corner is ineffectual in moving water away to keep a good grip on the road.

So for heavy cruisers that do mostly straight line stuff it may be ok, but I still would not do this on my Max, ever.

SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III

WARNING: The music sucks, adjust volume accordingly.

I wouldn't put one on my Max, but if I were doing a four corners ride on something like a Valkyrie, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Interesting video - particularly the commentary where the rider shares that he pays $200 per tire, and gets 10,000 miles out it. He also writes that he has to lie to the installation shop, a car shop, that it's going on a trike, then takes it to a motorcycle shop (who won't mount it) so that he can have it balanced.

Seems like a lot of extra work for a tire that's more expensive than a motorcycle tire, and lasts only a bit longer, and does not handle as well.

Interesting people, us motorcyclists. :ummm:

After many post most agree that is not something they would do the max. I can see that more tire life, so cost per mile is lower. But after watching the Vid - SPORT Riding on the Darkside - Triumph Rocket III - I would do not think I would place a car tire on many bikes, if any at all. If may be fine for someone else, but then some things I do not need to try to know I do not or would not want try. If someone wants to do it fine but I do not. I do not have a problem with someone doing so. It is not for everyone.

...I never thought you'd be riding on the tire flanks - that's just stupid...
Aren't you riding on tire flanks on a motorcycle tire as well when cornering??? The contact patch between the two can't be that much different, (its not like the car tire stays square when cornering) the only difference is the transition to a corner is a lot smoother on a motorcycle tire due to it's shape. I can bet that there are many car tires out there superior in handling and water management to stock tires that come on a vmax.

My thought is that a car tire will give you at least the same level of "performance" as stock tires on the vmax.

On another thought, that maybe the cheapest way yet to put radials on the vmax :rofl_200:

Personal choice. Do it or don't. Just don't say anything to me if you have an accident. Whether or not you can attribute the potential for avoiding an accident to the tire you use and I think you can, you should give yourself the best-possible opportunity to avoid a hazard. Using a car tire just isn't going to give you that.

Would you not keep your firearm clean if your life depended upon it? Wear a tie around machinery? Not read the instructions for using a new tool? And Gordie Howe didn't wear a helmet.

Nothing anyone who wouldn't use a car tire on a bike is going to sway those who choose to use one. When I see all the FL idiots riding $20,000+ Harleys w/no helmets I give them a wide berth so when they have problems they won't take me out as they veer out of control because they just got hit by a swarm of bees, a bird, road debris thrown-up by a truck, etc. My feelings about the car tire use is similar. Why wouldn't you take advantage of the best chance you have for safety?:confused2:

Personal choice. Do it or don't. Just don't say anything to me if you have an accident. Whether or not you can attribute the potential for avoiding an accident to the tire you use and I think you can, you should give yourself the best-possible opportunity to avoid a hazard. Using a car tire just isn't going to give you that.

Would you not keep your firearm clean if your life depended upon it? Wear a tie around machinery? Not read the instructions for using a new tool? And Gordie Howe didn't wear a helmet.

Nothing anyone who wouldn't use a car tire on a bike is going to sway those who choose to use one. When I see all the FL idiots riding $20,000+ Harleys w/no helmets I give them a wide berth so when they have problems they won't take me out as they veer out of control because they just got hit by a swarm of bees, a bird, road debris thrown-up by a truck, etc. My feelings about the car tire use is similar. Why wouldn't you take advantage of the best chance you have for safety?:confused2:
It's 100% personal choice. Personally I wouldn't do it on a vmax, unless I had a big heavy cruiser that can't lean worth a damn to begin with. Motorcycle tires last me a couple of seasons anyway so no big deal there. The point I was trying to make is that stock tires on a vmax suck ass big time, I can't tell you how many times when exiting a corner and getting on the gas the rear felt loose not to mention the front end not holding a line either. Maybe it was just my tires, don't know. I have a set of slicks on my bike now and in all honesty I feel way more confident riding on those than I ever did with stock tires.

There's plenty of people, of various riding abilities, that swear by car tires so there has to be something to it but it has to be on the right bike to work well IMO.

As far as the braking goes, it would be intersting to see an actual comparison between the two, I'm thinkig in a straight line the car tire would be superior but I'd like to see a test done braking in a corner.

Does anyone know if something like this was ever done? I don't mean someone's opinion (there's plenty of that) but an actual stopping distance test like they do for various car manufacturers?

Interesting video - particularly the commentary where the rider shares that he pays $200 per tire, and gets 10,000 miles out it. He also writes that he has to lie to the installation shop, a car shop, that it's going on a trike, then takes it to a motorcycle shop (who won't mount it) so that he can have it balanced.

Seems like a lot of extra work for a tire that's more expensive than a motorcycle tire, and lasts only a bit longer, and does not handle as well.

Interesting people, us motorcyclists. :ummm:
The dealers are a joke, they are so affraid to get sued it's not even funny. I went to Suzuki in Carol Stream and they were affraid to put my slicks on because of liability concerns. I mean WTF, they guy gave me a speach abut this and that and finally I cut him off mid sentence and told him if he doesn't want my money the guy down the street will gladly take it. Then he took my rims and tires and mounted them (took them TWO DAYS) then when I came to pick them up he tried to charge me for old tire disposal, the only problem with that was that my rims had no tires on to begin with, so he went into the back and handed me a $5 bill for the extra charges.

Then he again said something about liability and actually wanted me to sign a waiver, I told this to screw off and asked if they perform their own road test to everyone they sell a bike to? He said no, then I asked what happens if someone buys a hayabuse and crashes it because it was too much bike for him? That was the end of that, he didn't say anything and went behind the counter. It seems that if you want to do anything that is not OEM equipment you have no choice by to lie to the dealer or find a local shop.

This looks like it should get tossed in the pot with regular vs synthetic and helmet/gear discussion.

If you asked Yamaha or the manufacturer of the tire, I'm sure they'd say it's unsafe and to never do it. I'm sure they'd also say to never modify the braking system, forks, suspension, carbs, or to use any non Yamaha parts on the bike, or to do any work on the bike yourself. Always bring it to an authorized dealer.

I do wonder if you were in a crash, and an insurance adjuster came to look at the bike, they'd have a fit when they saw a car tire on the back, instantly assume that caused it, and refuse to pay.

Here's a decent Article about this topic:
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/tech/0907_crup_mounting_car_tires_on_motorcycles/index.html

Personally I would Never put a Car Tire (they have a Very Flat Surface) on my VMax.
I didn't even like the "Edge" that is on the OEM Dunlop K525 Tires.
K525:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/11306/ITEM/Dunlop-K525-OEM-Replacement-Rear-Tire.aspx

I like the Shinkos Round Surface a lot Better:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/3/31/401/6188/ITEM/Shinko-230-Tour-Master-Rear-Tire.aspx

The Shinkos don't get Squirrelly in the Curves like Tires with that Flatter Surface and Hard Edge.

All I have to say is do you Really want to take corners on a tire like in the attached picture ????
I Definitely Don't !
On a Heavy Cruiser that takes Sweepers at 20 - 30 MPH and Never lean more than a few inches, it's probably fine.
But I don't ride a Big Heavy Cruiser at Low Speed in a straight line.
I ride a VMAx at much faster speeds and I do lean it into corners as can be seen by looking at my tire.
I had the K525 on it when I bought it and it was terrible in any curve, they lasted about two weeks and I bought a Tire with a much rounder profile, a Michelin Macadam M50:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.co...elin-Macadam-M50-Sport-Touring-Rear-Tire.aspx

And what the Writer of that article was saying was only that he has talked to many Tire /Rubber Compound Engineers and they wouldn't recommend it, but it's really up to whoever rides the Bike to decide.
No one has any real Test results because Magazines won't test equipment not made for a Vehicle for legal reasons.

Attachments

• DarkSide_at_Dragon.jpg
    DarkSide_at_Dragon.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 90
"I do wonder if you were in a crash, and an insurance adjuster came to look at the bike, they'd have a fit when they saw a car tire on the back, instantly assume that caused it, and refuse to pay."

Yes, "Ra," the point I mentioned earlier. The adjuster's job is to obviate the insurance co. of a payout due to the policyholder's negligence. Then you have to fight them.

Those who will use a car tire, will, those who won't, won't have that as an excuse when they wreck.:rofl_200:

"Mah tarrr dun me in!"
"Dang-nab-it!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnDxPG3KrtA

When the adjuster came to look at mine I chatted him up for a bit about this, essentially if they had instructions or "things to look for" that would indicate the owner's negligence caused it. Like a leaking brake line, underinflated/bald tires, lightbulbs out, ect.

To my surprise, he said no. His job was just to evaluate damage and cough up a price. Why the accident happened or whose fault it was isn't his concern. Said the only way such things would be considered is if responding LEO's made a note on the report for DOT violations, like a brake light out or bald tire that they believed was relevant to the accident.

Which I guess makes sense, the adjuster doesn't know the details of the accident, and in the time it takes him to come (which isn't long, Progressive had a guy out like 16 hours after the accident) you could have fiddled/fixed suspicious problems to "fool" the adjuster even if they were looking for things like that.

Kinda depends on the zeal of the guy doesn't it? Anyone who knows anything about insurance is aware that they will do anything they can to avoid paying out a claim. Don't give them another excuse/reason just to save a few pitiful bucks on tire mileage..

I could care less what someone else whats to mount on their rim.
I never really thought much about the whole darkside thing. Figured if guys are doing it, it must work OK. Then I saw this picture posted a couple replies up and thought to myself that CAN'T be right :confused2:

Latest posts

Back