left side crank case leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smiller870

Reaction score
I noticed the crankcase cover on the left side was dripping oil. I ordered and replaced the O-ring and the large gasket, but still have a oil leak, and when I pull the cover off it looks like its coming from the center area. Does anybody have a suggestion or recommendation of what else to check.

I did the exact same thing and still notice a little oil seeping from the two center screws on the cover. Is that also a symptom of the stator grommet?

Mine leaks a lil mostly when i get on it, just lo rpm cruising no leak, it is the bottom grommet on mine i have tried re sealing by cleaning it first then injecting gasket sealer in it work for a while the leak comes back, i will prob be replacing the stator to fix my leak but not yet like i said mine just leaks a lil.

I have the same issue but since it is very minor I just wipe it after riding and not worry about it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mine leaks a lil mostly when i get on it, just lo rpm cruising no leak, it is the bottom grommet on mine i have tried re sealing by cleaning it first then injecting gasket sealer in it work for a while the leak comes back, i will prob be replacing the stator to fix my leak but not yet like i said mine just leaks a lil.

I know just 'the fix' for your predicament, and 'no disassembly required!' Here is the kit:
images
images
images

And an example of other uses! Just pull the string for removal when the unit is saturated!

That's what I've been doing too but would like to get it fixed. Thinking about putting some small orings on the center screws.

I had mine apart a few times and replaced gaskets and everything numerous times. The only thing that worked was cleaning the stator grommet with brake cleaner (get all the oil off) and put some RTV on the "engine block side" of the grommet. Put a dab on there and make sure to let it "cure" for @ 20-30 minutes before assembly. It is a very common mistake with RTV that is made by doing a quick assembly as soon as it's put on and not letting it "cure" before assembly. I did this fix years ago and haven't seen one drop. What happens is the grommet shrinks over time and oil gets by on the engine side of the grommet from crank pressure and it pisses between the middle drive and the stator cover. When you have the stator cover off and you press on the grommet while its still in the cover you'll probably find that it's recessed in the cover therefore allowing oil by under operating temp. I hope this helps anyone encountering this annoying oil drip. It worked for me and I haven't seen a drop in 5 years. Remember: remove all oil residue before RTV or it won't work. Oil and RTV don't like each other. Good luck

Mine's leaking out the top so I assume it's the gasket. There is not much info in the Haynes book about replacing the gasket. Is it as simple as removing the 11-12 bolts and replacing the gasket? I assume you have to drain the oil first, of course I just changed it....

Just bought my second Vmax today, got an 85 in a trade for our V45 Magna and we gave some cash. It was sitting and idling no issue. When we walked back over to the 85 after looking at my 04 Vmax, I noticed a little puddle of oil under the 85. It's on the left hand side where the cover with the "pinwheel" as my wife calls it is. It's wet and dripping from the bottom. I talked him down quite a bit since it sprung a leak in the driveway, but I'm hoping it isn't anything too serious. I just pulled it in the garage and parked it for now. Any suggestions?

Here are some suggestions:

Stator cover gasket, Stator wire grommet, Stator cover insert gasket/O-ring, mid gear cover gasket, copper crush washer on mid gear cover, output shaft O-ring, differential seal (different fluid travels up swing arm and pukes out hole in swing arm boot). Loose bolts on mid gear cover, Stator cover, or stator insert.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Clean the engine thoroughly with a degrease and dry it. Then let it run until the leak develops. Then spr8nkle the area with some talcum and it will get moist in the area where the leak is coming from. Remember that on a stopped bike the leak always drains from top to bottom.

Back