The love hate is over, must be love now

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry barker

Reaction score
As some of you know the Verminator has had a troubled beginning. Every ride something has gone wrong. Most of the issues revolve around my big mistake of trying to use an old cleaned up fuel tank. (It was bright and shiny inside) I had put a few hundred miles on the bike before it's maiden voyage to Kerrville, Texas. I made it to Austin before the bike started staving for fuel. 5 fuel filters later, I ended up vacuuming rust out of the tank with a 1" hose in Leaky , Tx. Have you ever been to Leaky, Tx.? I have never seen so much rust in a fuel tank. i vacuumed it 3 times. All is good and I made it back home via Houston, over 2000 miles. :eusa_dance:
Those Arnold lawn mower fuel filters that fit perfectly, they don't work! You guessed it, carb idle jets got clogged with rust. This was on a 480 mile ride up to push mountain road with Steve Lowery. Rebuilt the carbs, bike runs bad. No way I did that wrong, it has to be something else. Right! :ummm: Please note, Those little black plugs in the carbs are very important and must block the jet passage. Yep, 2 plugs and 3 holes, I got one of them wrong. Needless to say I got pretty good at removing the carbs. Bikes running great now just before the Eureka Rally. Yours truly leading the pack, my bike stops running just 2 miles from the Cliff House. Dang, fuel pump. For those interested, you can install an auto parts fuel pump on a Saturday afternoon and continue leading the ride back to Eureka(about 2 hours). But you will miss lunch at the Cliff House. And finally two days before my annual Ozark ride the idle jets started clogging up again. Really!!!:bang head:
Do you recall the Arnold fuel filters mentioned above? It took me this long to learn that lesson. Pulled the carbs again, this time I did locate the jet plugs in the correct holes. (See I can learn a lesson) I now use a Napa fuel filter 3310 and no longer buy ethanol free fuel from the local one stop. I found sand in the carbs, yes sand! Premium fuel only from now on, hope this works.
Why this long history, I just finished 2 rides covering over 2600 miles without incident!! Even with all these above issues I managed to ride over 7600 miles in 10 months. Worn out 1 front tire and 3 rear tires:punk:. Life is good!

Thanks for the advice Barry, and BTW you do a helluva job leading at Eureka Springs.

Back