buying 1st motorcycle jacket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a nice jacket and had friends with the cortech stuff over the years that liked them. If you're a size 40 I probably have a nice leather Vmax jacket i'd sell for the same $250? You're even in the Wichita area! Some of these guys are going to be jealous that you're so close to me lol.

That does look nice.

I have my normal jacket, it's nearly 18 years old, 1.2mm thick leather Triumph jacket, kevlar shoulders and elbows and a slot for back plate. I went just a touch large so I could wear a sweater under it on the very cold days. When the temp approaches 90 I go to a cheesier Icon mesh jacket that also has shoulder and elbow protection. If your an all weather rider one jacket might not do it all.

Also consider visibility vs cool factor. I love my jacket, it's by far the best I have owned but I would not mind more visibility with all the in-car distraction systems.

Attachments

• DSCN0604.JPG
    DSCN0604.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 26
I got my first quality jacket & pants in 1972 when I bought a Belstaff waxed-cotton enduro set. I was riding my Yamaha 360 on the street and racing it on weekends w/a friend who owned two 360's, one an Enduro and the other an MX. For those of you in the age group, one had the black tank & a yellow stripe, and the other had a black tank & a red stripe. The MX could almost hit 100 mph, my 360 would do 89 mph if I got 'under the paint.'

The Belstaff was considered to be premium gear, it only had double thickness waxed cotton on the forearms & shoulders. It had four big patch pockets on the front, and I had a pair of waxed cotton overpants to match. It was my 'everyday' gear for close to 20 years before it rotted-apart. The pants fared better, and I actually still have them, though I haven't used them in years.

Nowadays, I have an Alpinestars 'competition jacket,' old-school in appearance, a mandarin collar & all leather, it's got CE armor everywhere, which I usually don't use as that makes it a bit too-snug on me. What I usually ride wearing is a Joe Rocket padded mesh jacket for warmer days, and a layered Tourmaster jacket which also has CE armor, and two zip-in layers, depending on how cold it is. If I was gonna only wear one, it would be the Tourmaster, it's not as-cool as the mesh Joe Rocket, but it's a whole 'lot warmer if the weather turns cold, a rare occurence in south FL.

The advantage of the new designs is that you can add/subtract layers as the weather changes, and I suggest something w/Gore-Tex or equivalent for water shedding. Buy a bit larger than your actual size to allow layering. If your jacket comes w/multiple layers, then you may be able to get something more-snug, since you can use the jacket & its layers as needed.

I think my Tourmaster is the Transition model.

I also have a Dianese one-piece, like an Aerostitch one-piece, very high quality. It has some wild graphics, like a winding road, not for the shy or 'attention-averse.' It has CE armor everywhere.

If you plan on riding long distances, you almost have to get something Gore-Tex to prevent you getting hypothermia from being cold & wet. If you're more of an 'around-town' rider, and like the appearance of a traditional leather jacket, get one from a bike shop, from a long-time manufacturer, like Langlitz or similar. Schott I think is another one that's been around for a long time. There are others, just see what riders have to say in the comments section, and it's usually better to buy locally, as the online sizes may not fit well. I've found the European manufacturers sizing runs a bit small compared to what I wear as a sportcoat. I've had to go up two sizes compared to my sportcoat size (USA-46") to get something that didn't squeeze me uncomfortably.

Study your options, and don't be in too-much of a hurry to buy something, especially w/o being able to try it on.

Ive got a leather Icon jacket and a mesh Icon jacket, love em both! Build quality is great and both have forearm and back armor.

That's a nice jacket, have you tried one on sitting on a bike? I think you are going to need more warmth living in Wichita. 2 jackets are the way to go. I have a Tourmaster transitions mesh that I wear if its above 60 and a Revit Day Glo coat for when its below 60. Both have all the armor and removable liners for those 30 degree temperature fluctuations. The revit has a water proof liner built in, it's not like rain gear but does a good job of keeping me dry in light rain. The Revit is the only jacket I could get my shoulders in. The Olympic, Fieldsheer, and First gear were all cut to small in the shoulder area. Good luck, glad your buying gear.

Don't buy it too big. I have a nice Tourmaster Jett jacket that is comfortable, warm, and water proof, but it's too big now and blows up when I ride. I'm no longer XXL. Loosing weight is free hp.
Steve-o

Don't buy it too big. I have a nice Tourmaster Jett jacket that is comfortable, warm, and water proof, but it's too big now and blows up when I ride. I'm no longer XXL. Loosing weight is free hp.
Steve-o

Yep free Hp is always good . I am down 17 lbs so far need to lose another 15 & then I will probably have the same problem with my jacket.

That's a nice jacket, have you tried one on sitting on a bike? I think you are going to need more warmth living in Wichita. 2 jackets are the way to go. I have a Tourmaster transitions mesh that I wear if its above 60 and a Revit Day Glo coat for when its below 60. Both have all the armor and removable liners for those 30 degree temperature fluctuations. The revit has a water proof liner built in, it's not like rain gear but does a good job of keeping me dry in light rain. The Revit is the only jacket I could get my shoulders in. The Olympic, Fieldsheer, and First gear were all cut to small in the shoulder area. Good luck, glad your buying gear.

i haven't tired any on yet. I was hoping this jacket would serve dual purpose. In the summer we will see days over 100 and in the winter days under 40. I don't plan to ride much in the winter.

I bought my first Taurus Drospo leather jacket back around 1982. I bought it about a size and half too large knowing full well I'd grow into it. It was expensive, but worth it. Like helmets, if your head is worth $10 then wear a $10 helmet. Same with leather.
It's been through a lot, and I mean ALOT! It went down on my first Yamaha Seca 400 for a slide. The zippers were replaced on the cuff and up the front.
It was in a scuffle in Hell's Kitchen back in my college days. Walked away from that.
Back 25 years ago it was stolen from me for not quite a year. Thanks to my bros, we recovered it by pealing it off the thief then disposing of his carcass down the railroad track. Word to the wise: Don't Steal a Biker's Jacket!!!
It still more or less fits me today, my brother better than i. With yearly treatments, it has held it's black finish extremely well. The Taurus now basically hangs in the garage as an homage to my biking career, and the great memories it's brought me.
I bought a new jacket back about 25 years back. It's HD that reminds me of my Taurus. Flat tracker style, pads on shoulders, simple design. It too has held up well with treatment one a year. I wear this one for colder weather, but not as much as my ICON Motorhead Jacket.
The ICON has simple armour and a zip out lining. A shorty style. I've had it for about 4 years now. Leather is nice, matt black. Zippers for keeping cool.
I myself don't like textile jackets. I find bug snot easily cleaned off it. Friends that have textile, I've found turn fuzzy after awhile too.

Attachments

• taurus drospo cafe.jpg
    taurus drospo cafe.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 13
  • hdGoldbergEdition.jpg
    hdGoldbergEdition.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 2007_Icon_Motorhead_Jacket_Black.jpg
    2007_Icon_Motorhead_Jacket_Black.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 13
Look for the right fitting according to your body shape and that you like the look.
For me was a hard job because I am tall and thin , most that I tried had too short sleeves or too large on the torso.

richa mugello was my happy result.

Hey Ross,
I just purchased a 3 season Sedici Jacket from Cyclegear and I'm really pleased. Here in Alabama we have super hot summers and mild to cold winters. We don't get much in between Summer and Winter. I rode my bike last week in the high 40s with this jacket and a T-Shirt and was toasty. No wind penetration at all. However if you remove the liners you can ride Summer with all the breeze you want. I would definitely try one on before you purchase any jacket. The guys at Cycle Gear let me take it outside and sit on my bike to see how it felt. It was the same price as Amazon ($200) and has a 30 day no hassle return. I read all the reviews before purchasing too. I know it's getting cold but take your time and find the right one for you. Take care buddy.

Latest posts

Back