Looking to buy a Vmax!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

showmeyourtints

Reaction score
Hey all, This is my first post on here! I currently ride a 2004 gsxr 750 but im looking to get into a vmax. I have a few questions for you gen 1 owners. How is the transition coming from a sport bike to these bikes? Ive been riding on the street for 3 years now and riding dirt for 10 so I know I can handle this grunt of a bike. Also, modding. Is there much aftermarket support for these bikes? I really dont know what to expect with this bike. The main reason im getting rid of my rocket is discomfort and looking to take this thing to the track. It sounds mean as hell and Its by far my favorite bike of all time.

Thanks !

Which st Johns? There is a stupid amount of aftermarket parts available. Stock for stock, you'll be sad about brakes and suspension unless you weigh 135. Look for anything after '92 to get the newer forks and brakes. Take a few days to start reading on here and you'll start to get an idea of what is possible and normal upgrades and stuff. My' 01 is for sale...

Oh, and welcome.

I'm thinking about selling my '97 VMax. Here is a list of mods done, just to give you an idea of some of the most popular mods:

1. Six-puck front brake conversion (From Suzuki Hayabusa or Yamaha R1).
2. Progressive front fork conversion and lowering.
3. Upgraded front fork brace.
4. Continuous-cooling fan switch (Switch between automatic and continuous).
5. Air scoops narrowed 1.0” in the rear.
6. Vista Cruise Throttle lock (cruise control).
7. CNC Billet adjustable front brake and clutch levers.
8. T-Boost mod (to make V-Boost kick-in switchable from 6000 RPM (stock) to 3000 RPM option).
9. K&N air filter.
10. Battery wire crimp converted to soldered connection (more reliable starting when hot).
11. Carburetors re-jetted for Supertrapp exhaust pipes.
12. Welded frame braces.
13. Barnett clutch conversion.
14. Foot pegs lowered 1.5” and moved 0.5” rearward.
15. Seat re-contoured and cut down (so you are sitting IN the bike instead of ON the bike).
16. Supertrapp exhaust (sounds awesome and sometimes sets off car alarms).
17. Welded swingarm brace.
18. Taillight relocated to sissy bar.
19. Rear fender elimination kit.
20. Front and rear LED turn signals.

Don`t expect it to handle like your gsxr. unless you add a lot of mods. I live in New Hr, Trinity Bay about 100km from St John`s.
I have Progressive springs in front and "piggy back" shocks at rear plus a framebrace, It made a big difference but still not sport bike cornering. According to the guys on this forum the tires are the biggest problem. You have to change the size of the rear wheel so you can add radial tires. You can`t get radials in 15inch.

Also if you don't try to ride it like your Gixxer, you'll be totally happy with just some Shinko 230 Tourmasters and a fork spring upgrade. It is was it is, an awesome machine. My wife's from Mount Pearl. i'm up there every year. Last year Redbone and I came up together so he could see how awesome Newfoundland is.

Thanks for the awesome input sofar! I do live in Newfoundland, Paradise to be exact. I think this would be an awesome drag bike aswell, I made a couple of passes last year on my gixxer. I just want somthing that has go but more relaxed. My back gets tired as hell on my gixxer, not quite ready to move on to a cruiser quite yet. I am only 145 lbs so this could take alot of getting used to

You might be one of a very few guys on here who could probably ride the stock suspension. it's still gonna dive a lot, but it won't be as bad as most of us 200+ guys. The stock seat sucks after a couple hours, but you'll be running out of gas then as well. Search in the members button at the top to find the other guys in your area. There are at least three others that I know of. One is in Mount Pearl over by colemans and mary browns, and one is in CBS.

I did a very similar change, i went from a 01 GSXR 600 that would stomp my buddys 05 750 to a Max. The Max stomps my buddys 750 to 100 mph, lol. Definately DO NOT try to ride it on the twisties like your GSXR until youve put some money into suspension, rims, tires, frame stiffening techniques and parts, etc, lol. Its much more satisfying to ride though than a GSXR since the shiteating grin comes as soon as you twist the throttle instead of reaching the upper part of the rev range!

Thanks all for your input ! I dont know if this is too much to ask but if someone that lives near me could meet up one day and swap bikes for a ride? never rode one before. Just very interested in this bike

There are a few Newfie's with Vmaxe's on here.
I'd get together with one of them and switch bikes for a day to see how you like a Vmax.
I have owned everything from dirt bikes to cruisers (Harley's) to sport bikes and fell in love with my Vmax.
Most cruisers lack power, and sport bikes are a blast for an hour or so but get uncomfortable quickly.
A Vmax is a Power Cruiser so it has plenty of HP and torque but is also much more comfortable than a sport bike.
Think old school American muscle car vs. euro sports car.
A Vmax is not as refined as sport bikes but it has enough HP/torque to be brutally fun like a Muscle cars was.

Latest posts

Back