Light Throttle/Cruise Carb Issues

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I shimmed the needles with the old slides, didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. But I'll try shimming with the new slides, maybe tomorrow.

Sean, I did have the smaller mains in before I changed the slides and went back to stock because it ran better. Do you think the smaller mains might help with the new slides? I'll certainly give it a shot!

id have to dig out all the stock jet sizing. besides main 152.5hrs
one on top of carb 90 and other inside I think 37.5 but cant remeber....

Dannymax should have them tattooed on the inside of his eye lids by now....
hey dan....close your eyes....what do you see for stock carb guts....

Yuppers....#37.5 for the PFJ inside the jet block.

Stock needles and air box, I have ran a few tanks of seafoam through it. The slides all move freely and return to closed. I've had the carbs off and they were each Chemdipped over night, so they should be clean. One thing I did not do is pull all the jets, so I'll do that and make sure it has the right jets in the right location. Is there a guide or chart on here for that? I'll also check the float levels wet, I set them dry when I had the carbs apart, but never double checked my work.

Thanks for all the input guys, I do appreciate it!

Have you completely disassembled the carbs and checked all your gaskets, o-rings & jet block plugs, PFJ's, purge jets, etc.?
Were all those parts in place during the chem-dip?
What kind of chem-dip did you use (was it harmful to rubber)?

The slides are new and move smoothly, so I don't think they're sticking. The jet block plugs, jet block gaskets, and emulsion tube o-rings are new. I used Berrymans Chem Dip, but the carbs were completely disassembled, so just the carb bodies and jet blocks went in. I checked to make sure the jets in the block were clean, they looked good. I guess I'll pull the carbs down again to make sure I didn't miss anything. It had a bad coast enricher diaphragm, which was replaced. I'm sure you can see why I'm getting frustrated. I feel like I've gone over this with a fine tooth comb. But keep the suggestions coming, there's been good advice so far and sooner or later I'm sure someone will spit out something I've over looked. I'm still going to try the leaner jets I got from Sean, and shimming the needles in the new slides. If anyone thinks of anything else I've missed, or that might be worth trying chime on in, I'd love to hear it! Thanks again guys!

Put the smaller jets back in and shim they Y on top of the air box 3/8" or so, shimming the Y will lean it out slightly more. If it runs worse then you know you will probably have to go richer. You should be able to get it dialed in with Cobras but if you want to create some back pressure get a couple of these that will fit in the end of the Cobras to do a test run. They are wooden plugs they use for butcher wrap paper, or just cut some that will fit. This is ghetto but at least it's inexpensive...

th_favorites24.gif

Attachments

• photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 26
So I shimmed the needles on the new slides, and now we're getting somewhere. It's way better so I ordered a set do stage one needles from Sean. I'm sure this will fix my issues, and will report back with conformation. Thanks for all the help, guys!

I installed the needles I got from Sean with the clip on the third slot from the blunt end, and it's nearly perfect. I think moving the clip over one more notch will have this thing at 100%. Thanks again for all the suggestions!

Latest posts

Back