Two carb. questions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icepick

Reaction score
On my '92, I've noticed that the PJ2 jet on on of the carbs is a 175 (carb. 4), the other three have the stock 170's, the spark plug with the 175 looked lean, the plugs w/ the 170's looked perfect. how can I make carb 4 richer until i can get a 170 to replace it? can I lower the clip on the needle, thus raising the needle to allow more fuel, or do I have it a$$backerds?

Also I did the wet check of the float bowls with some medical tubing that fit the drains perfecly, and the fuel level was barely past the bottom of the diaphram covers, the manual specification is 15-17mm from the bottom, roughly in the center of the diaphragm covers, what struck me is with the fuel level that low, I'm suprised it will even run! Unless I did the check wrong, (can't see spending 30.00 bucks for something I can do for cheap)

is it possable to adjust the floats without removing the carbs?

On my '92, I've noticed that the PJ2 jet on on of the carbs is a 175 (carb. 4), the other three have the stock 170's, the spark plug with the 175 looked lean, the plugs w/ the 170's looked perfect. how can I make carb 4 richer until i can get a 170 to replace it? can I lower the clip on the needle, thus raising the needle to allow more fuel, or do I have it a$$backerds?

nope ur right on there, however i would think the needles don't have much affect on that circuit, you'd probably want to unscrew your pilot screw a couple turns on that carb. wait for the gurus to chime in tho

Also I did the wet check of the float bowls with some medical tubing that fit the drains perfecly, and the fuel level was barely past the bottom of the diaphram covers, the manual specification is 15-17mm from the bottom, roughly in the center of the diaphragm covers, what struck me is with the fuel level that low, I'm suprised it will even run! Unless I did the check wrong, (can't see spending 30.00 bucks for something I can do for cheap)

hmm that does sound low. what is your reading exactly? like 25mm from the mark?

is it possable to adjust the floats without removing the carbs?

unless your last name is skywalker, probably not.

yea, I measured wrong for the level, however carbs 3 & 4 are right on, 1 & 2 are low, about 23mm on #1 and 25mm on #2

make sure the bike is level. get a level out.

Also make sure you cycle key on/off to keep bowls full.

the wet level reference is a horizontal line cast in the body of the carb, it is at the center of the diaphragm covers,(also took a grease pencil and drew a straight line on the covers for an easier reading) on my '92 they are on the rear/aft of the carbs. I used clear medical tubing and used tape to secure the tubing to carb. my manual gives 15mm-17mm as the level, so if the fuel level is within that range BELOW the refrence line it's good.
maybe the more experianced guys will correct me if I'm wrong, I've been wrong before!!

Lucked out and found a 170 jet from a cycle salvage for a paultry $1.50, the local stealers wanted $7.50-10.00 for a jet, and the 17 year old walking pin cushion told me,"Umm, yea it'll be here in ummmmmm, like a umm, like a week or so... is that cool?" My reply: "NO!"
The 4500-5000 RPM/65-70 MPH stumble is about gone,( that's the head sctatcher) can post pics. of the measurement ref. line when i get moved into the new crib.
Also need some mercury for my carb syncer upper.

Latest posts

Back