Valve adjustment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Adjusting the valves;

Couple of question to those that have done it....

Can you read the numbers on the shims without using the valve depressor tool. Reason I ask is I would like to pull the covers and take my measurements and then go looking for the shims I need while I find/buy a valve depressor tool.

Second question is if the valve depressor tool is absolutely neccesary to get this job done. Can they be depressed by some other means or can the cam cap bolts be loosened without screwing up anything?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Rusty

Rusty, nope. The number faces down so the cam lobe doesn't wear the number marking off. After the first time you adjust the valves you'll know the setup and will be able to know exactly what shim to use if they're out of spec.

Use the tool, that's the easiest. Otherwise cams can be removed but that makes valve adjustment a much longer task.

I would call around and find a shop willing to swap shims. My local shop just loans me the shims I need, I just need to pay a $20 refundable deposit.

Rusty,Might as well buy the tool.They are cheap at university and I'd bet that they have one in stock.

My local dealer found it for $27 but will have to order it.

I had find the part number for them and give it to them....sheesh!!

plus they wanted to know if my Vmax was a 700 or a 900 or an 1100.....:confused2:

Haha, tell them it's not a snowmobile. I always say VMX12 around dealers otherwise they get confused.

wfcall said:
My local dealer found it for $27 but will have to order it.

I had find the part number for them and give it to them....sheesh!!

plus they wanted to know if my Vmax was a 700 or a 900 or an 1100.....:confused2:

I think I paid $15 for mine from university motors.

Latest posts

Back