Installing that pesky centerstand spring!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miles Long

Reaction score
Some folks are able to use a screwdriver to lever it into place, other use coins between the spring coils, to lengthen it prior to installation.
I didn't have any luck with either method....perhaps because it was my first attempt at reinstalling a stand, more likely because I'm all thumbs.
I did spend some time with the coin method, (two rows of nickels, spaced 180 degrees apart, 2 coins between each coil), but found that the spring was still too short to slip into place. And the coins kept falling out as they were being put in.
So I tried this, that worked dandy. 11/2" roofing nails, just one between each coil. Put one end of spring in a vise, hook a small adjustable over the other end, push up to open up the coils for the nails.
This stretches the spring enough to install it, providing the centerstand has been tied in the up position, which put the two attachment points in the minimum distance.
After the spring is in place, lower the stand, which stretches the spring, and take out the nails with needlenose pliers.
Hope this helps others to avoid skinned knuckles, and possible nasty language.
But - wear safety glasses for each step!
Cheers!

Attachments

• P1020647.jpg
    P1020647.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 164
  • P1020643.jpg
    P1020643.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 157
Excellent tip Miles! Good tip to remove the nails right after getting spring secured, otherwise you may need that centerstand a little longer while you get your tire changed!:rofl_200::rofl_200:
Seriously though, I have had good luck with a screwdriver, but I'm screwy that way!:biglaugh:

What works for me is to hook the stand to the spring assembly to the frame.
Jiggle one of the centre stand bolts in (can"t remember which side but one side works better than the other) but don't tighten.
Use this as a fulcrum to pull the other side of the stand into the mounting point then wiggle it until the bolt slips in.
The closer to horisontal the stand is the easier it is.

Since we are talking about the centerstand, judging by what I see, The centerstand mounts to the cat assy underneath. Is there any way to install centerstand without cats?

Thanks
Mike

Mike,

It's not attached to the stock exhaust in any way, but rather to the frame (there are 2 arms what extend down from the frame that hold the 2 pivot bolts). The stock exhaust, however, does the best job of hiding it when tucked up & not in use...

Frank

Since we are talking about the centerstand, judging by what I see, The centerstand mounts to the cat assy underneath. Is there any way to install centerstand without cats?

Thanks
Mike

we ( I ) am not talking about a center stand this is a Gen 2 I am replacing the kickstand spring

What works for me is to hook the stand to the spring assembly to the frame.
Jiggle one of the centre stand bolts in (can"t remember which side but one side works better than the other) but don't tighten.
Use this as a fulcrum to pull the other side of the stand into the mounting point then wiggle it until the bolt slips in.
The closer to horisontal the stand is the easier it is.

Keep in mind this is a Gen 2 I posted this in the Gen 2 forum = no center stand

Some folks are able to use a screwdriver to lever it into place, other use coins between the spring coils, to lengthen it prior to installation.
I didn't have any luck with either method....perhaps because it was my first attempt at reinstalling a stand, more likely because I'm all thumbs.
I did spend some time with the coin method, (two rows of nickels, spaced 180 degrees apart, 2 coins between each coil), but found that the spring was still too short to slip into place. And the coins kept falling out as they were being put in.
So I tried this, that worked dandy. 11/2" roofing nails, just one between each coil. Put one end of spring in a vise, hook a small adjustable over the other end, push up to open up the coils for the nails.
This stretches the spring enough to install it, providing the centerstand has been tied in the up position, which put the two attachment points in the minimum distance.
After the spring is in place, lower the stand, which stretches the spring, and take out the nails with needlenose pliers.
Hope this helps others to avoid skinned knuckles, and possible nasty language.
But - wear safety glasses for each step!
Cheers!

Your spring looks like a old one, I have a new one I wonder how flexible it is going to be???

Your spring looks like a old one, I have a new one I wonder how flexible it is going to be???
......assuming you are talking about the centerstand spring......
even a new one should be flexible enough to insert the nails. Even a small wrench, as pictured, can exert a lot of leverage to open the coils.
Cheers!

......assuming you are talking about the centerstand spring......
even a new one should be flexible enough to insert the nails. Even a small wrench, as pictured, can exert a lot of leverage to open the coils.
Cheers!

ONE MORE TIME This is posted in the Gen 2 forum I have no centerstand I am talking about the kickstand

I haven't had my centerstand on with the spring attached is a few years and it took a couple tries but the trusty screwdriver method still works for me.
My process: With the spring hooked into the frame mounting point and the screwdriver used as a lever to overcome the spring tension which the spring hook then slides down the screwdriver shaft and is hooked to mounting point on the centerstand.

Mike,

It's not attached to the stock exhaust in any way, but rather to the frame (there are 2 arms what extend down from the frame that hold the 2 pivot bolts). The stock exhaust, however, does the best job of hiding it when tucked up & not in use...

Frank
I agree, it looks way out of place with my Marks 4 into 2 exhaust. The foot lever is about 2" away from the exhaust can. I'm mounting it for my long trip to Newfoundland as it is a handy way to get the back wheel off the ground if needed.

FYI: <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0> <TBODY> <TR vAlign=bottom> <TD width="100%">VMaxForum.net > How To and FAQ > How To Guides </TD></TR> <TR> <TD class=navbar style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; PADDING-TOP: 1px" colSpan=3> Installing that pesky centerstand spring! </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This thread is not about a center stand it was started about a kickstand on a gen 2

This thread is not about a center stand it was started about a kickstand on a gen 2

:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Lest ye remain a bit confused laddy, please go back and re-read Miles' post #1, and/or this thread's title. :rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

My apologies I didn't know Miles started a new thread, on my thread about Kickstand everyone was thinking it was about a centerstand,, I thought this was the same thread I am sorry

My apologies I didn't know Miles started a new thread, on my thread about Kickstand everyone was thinking it was about a centerstand,, I thought this was the same thread I am sorry

Again, lest ye remain a bit confused laddy, please go back and re-read THE DATE STAMP on Miles' post #1, and/or this thread's title.

Miles' thread dates back to 08/08/14. Miles didn't start a new thread on center stands recently, you merely posted up on it as if he did, for some reason. Perhaps getting your thread, and his old one, mixed up while trying to sort your side stand spring woes?

Apologies accepted.

Latest posts

Back