Keep that Rust out of your Tank

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello - How long did you let the Vinegar and then muriatic acid sit inside the tank?
Muriatic acid being an intence corrosive doesn't make sense to put in a metal tank, to me. Vinegar a mild corrosive seems safer. Either way you need to make sure you neutralize the acids 100% or you will create rust. If you do it I'm guessing go muriatic acid then vinegar. Then lots of water maybe some baking soda water solution? Fyi I have not cleaned a tank out before just my knowledge of muriatic acid doing concrete work. Anything metal that it touches is coated in rust within hours.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

http://www.kreem.com/tankprep.html

I have only heard good things about these products. ill check my tank tomorrow but we dont have much in the way of ethanol here. We burn petrol, 91, 96 or 98 octane.

Ethanol sounds like paint thinner.
In the state's not too long ago, 5-10 years maybe? Gas companies started cutting petroeum gas with ethanol to utilize all the corn waste we have and make more money. We still have "clear gas" I call it but isn't sold everywhere and is a lot more expensive.
The ethanol is a son of a bitch on fuel systems for many different reasons.
Refuse to run it in small engines and boats.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Tapatalk

My tank looks great, I checked today. Ethanol is around here I think , maybe in the cities but not down home.
Sounds like its not even a good degreaser due to water content. Maybe its fine if you drive daily but for sitting - now I understand why you prepare bikes for winter lay overs.

what about Ethanol-free 91 octane?
I know the vmax runs better on lower grade but this is the only ethanol free available around me

I use an Lucas additive that conditions out the ethanol in fuel. Sadly, in St Louis, there is no place that sells real fuel anymore. Thanks EPA. It requires a drive south 50 miles to get agricultural fuel.
6+JfKZfceXArGbPD3CJcgErnB3ytsGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD5sGLPB+bBhzAbnw4YxG5wPG8ZscD78Xwq755Z0WdczAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

Ethanol is a curse. Period. In St. Louis we are forced to buy ethanol fuels, no options anywhere close. That's why I put 1 oz of Lucas Ethanol Conditioner in my tank with every fill up. Sometimes I add one eyedropper of two Yamalube stroke oil for good measure. My 99 runs like a striped-azz ape.

Use Lucas Ethanol treatment if forced to use ethanol fuel. It keeps it corrosion and saves rubber parts. One oz every fill up.

Been putting 91 octane in it and some 104+ octane booster. It really likes the combo. Tank is clean.

Anything more then 87 is a waste AND will actually cause carbon deposition over time.

Hello - How long did you let the Vinegar and then muriatic acid sit inside the tank?
What is the best coating? No worries. I wont blame you if it fails. As long as you do the next tank job!

Another question. Anyone here tried using magnets to prevent rust? I've heard of it but no idea if or how it works.

Another question. Anyone here tried using magnets to prevent rust? I've heard of it but no idea if or how it works.
The rust could be attracted to the magnet, to prevent in-solution particulate material from migrating further, that's about the only benefit I can think-of. Like some drain plugs have a rare-earth magnet.

Latest posts

Back