Odyssey battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use a Battery Tender on all my small batteries (bikes, etc), gel cell or otherwise. Use an Automatic Charger with a Maintenance Free setting on my large batteries (truck, car) that are gel or maintenance free types.

I use a Battery Tender on all my small batteries (bikes, etc), gel cell or otherwise. Use an Automatic Charger with a Maintenance Free setting on my large batteries (truck, car) that are gel or maintenance free types.

The odyssey requires a 40 amp supply to fully charge. So Im guessing their odyssey charger is the only safe charger to do that. The voltage must remain between 14.3 and 14.9

Iv got my odyssey battery charging on a regular maintaince free car battery charger right now. But from what I have learned.. The supply voltage will go over the 15 volt max on the higher amp charger settings. So I cant fully charge the battery on 2 amps. 2 amps will only maintain the current voltage.

I dont want to buy the odyssey charger but I might have to.

Even though the manual stated it needs 40 amps. Mt 2 amp setting fully charged the odessey.

Thanks Mark

Anyone?

The battery likes to float at 13.6-13.8

It keys it's charging by the current the battery will accept.

A battery tender; which is a "smart charger" does exactly this also.

It keeps charging the battery till it reaches around 14.8-14.9 volts and then drops it down to about 13.6 volts, which is fine for the odyssey.

If battery voltage drops below 12.9 it starts the cycle over again and brings it back up to 14.9 and thne back to a 13.7 float.

I've watched this with a meter..

I talked to their tech department about the charging requirements and it's straight from the horses mouth.

I don't know why they stated 40 amps but you'd never need that for a battery this size unless it was completely dead and you were in a huge hurry, jamming that much current into one isn't a good idea because the only way to force that much current into a battery that wasn't near death would be to raise the voltage to way over 15 volts.

If you battery is floating at 13.6 or so, and when left alone for a few hours (or days in the case of my battery) and it goes to 12.8-12.9 or so and no lower then it is fully charged.

if you're riding it freuently and your charging system is putting out 13.6 or better (mine does, it goes to 14.4 with the headlight off) then you really don't need a charger.

You can avoid all sorts of other problems by simply running the bike at least once week till it's fully warmed up anyway, in addition to charging the battery.....

The PC680 is the one you want.

You can avoid all sorts of other problems by simply running the bike at least once week till it's fully warmed up anyway, in addition to charging the battery.....

The PC680 is the one you want.

Thanks for the great explanation. My bike doesn't run quite yet so I was concerned about the condition of the brand new odessey I bought.

You convinced me I don't need the expensive odessey charger to keep it in top condition.

old thread but good reading. I just ordered a pc680 from westcoast batteries $ 110.00 shipped. just wanted to share the prices with everyone. And i ordered it today for that price.
no codes or coupons.

I recently ordered the "UB12220" from Apex Batteries, AGM style, 420cca, $45 to my door................Tom.

Man not sure about these damn Odyssey's mine went bad after 6 years:rofl_200:

I just replaced one from 2006:eusa_dance:

I love these things and modified another bike to except them.

Just a note that a PC 680 is NOT a direct fit. It is smaller than your battery box and I ended up cushioning mine with some dense cell grey foam cut to size. With batteries, vibration and heat are never desire able. The foam my help in both respects.

Just a note that a PC 680 is NOT a direct fit. It is smaller than your battery box and I ended up cushioning mine with some dense cell grey foam cut to size. With batteries, vibration and heat are never desire able. The foam my help in both respects.

Are you sure you have the right one? Mine fits tight and goes right to the top of the box.

Anyone know where I can buy the odyssey in Canada for a price that won't break the bank?

Anyone know where I can buy the odyssey in Canada for a price that won't break the bank?

Call your local battery sources.. Mine delivered the battery for $118

The battery is a bit smaller. No foam, and after a 8 year life span I'm not changing anything.

$46.50 shipped. 1 year warranty. You fellas need to keep up. Just ordered one (different spec) for a local Harley rider. 1/3rd what the local FLAPS want and 1/2 less than the Harley stealership. Same battery.

Chris

I'm a couple of years into my second one, after buying the first in 2000 or 2001.

I'm reminded how much I like it every time one of the other bikes won't start if I don't remember to put it on the tender once a week or so (even when they're ridden almost daily). The Vmax with its Odyssey just keeps going and going... I don't think it's ever had a charger on it, except for the time I left the key on all weekend. It was deader than dead, but an overnight recharge brought the Odyssey back to life with no noticeable effects.

I had a perfectly good 6 season old Odyssey PC680 that I killed (or I think I did) after leaving the key on (headlight on high beam - 100 watt bulb) for about 10 days. I thought I learned a lesson!
I replaced it with another PC680 and added a Burns Moto USB outlet that connect directly to the battery (via a SAE connector) that I found out recently that it has a parasitic power draw even when not in use! Well, I missed the warning on the instructions so it drew down my PC680 to nothing. When I turned the key I had no vboost whirr or fuel pump clicking, nothing. But after an 8 hr. charge using a 10 amp charger it's back to life, and now on a Deltran battery tender. ~12.8v reading from battery after testing battery only. I need to test it without using the battery tender to see if there is a voltage drop. I am thinking now that had I followed this same procedure on the first PC680 I might of been saved buying a new one. I'll never know now as I gave it to a buddy to recycle.
In the future I will have to make sure I get into the habit of unplugging it at when I'm not going to be riding it for longer periods.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back