Carb and Pipe setup suggestions Anyone?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scuff

Reaction score
Ok so I am a new owner of a 94' V-max. I have all the little stuff taken care of now so it's on to bigger things. My bike came to me with Cobra slip on's with stock header and Stage 1 carb setup at least that's what the previous owner said about the carbs. Well the bike doesn't seem to run as good as it should smells rich and I never see the red oil light come on as I keep hearing about also seems to have a "cough" when I'm riding in 2nd and 3rd about 3 or 4 thousand RPM and crack the throttle I "coughs" and then goes making It really hard to pull consistent wheelies! So I have been reading all I can in here and seems that the Stage 1 kit is crap ! and I just read a post that says Cobra exhaust is crap also. So any suggestions as to remedy this? I really want to get what I can out of the bike without going too crazy. Oh and it has a K&N air filter too, not sure if that makes a lot of difference. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks guys I really love the forum everyone seems pretty cool here, can't wait for summer to really kick in and hopefully meet some more of you guys !

I prefers the OEM carb & pipe setup. It's worked well for me for over 29 years so far. Never have to guess which jets or settings will match that way. Still all stock in that respect, and lovin' it.

Others' opinions will vary.

Have to agree with Jim, Yamaha did a good job setting these bikes up.

If you want a little dose of 'cool' without major changes a set of Mark's Performance pipes sound great and will work fine with oem jets and maybe a small needle shim.

Throw away the cobras and put on anything else, LOL.

Stock exhaust works good with stock jetting

Pretty much any of the full system, aftermarket exhaust will add power. I'd base your choice on looks and sound. Not a whole lotta difference in power between the all. As far as a carb setup for full exhaust, I've seen guys running anywhere from 147.5 to 152.5 mains and shimmed needles

A "muscle jet kit" or DJ stage 7 will make the most out of the new exhaust but its not going to make a huge difference. They help squeeze the last of the HP out of the bike. Tunes are all over the place. Check the carburator section of the forum. You will find a "sticky" where a lot of guys detail their carb settings.

The K+N airfilter doesn't add an HP on these bikes. The only advantage is it's reuseable.

+1 with stock. If you ever tear apart stock mufflers you'll see all the thought the engineers put into the exhaust. The only negatives are the weight and they make the stock 150 series tire look whimpy.

Ok ty for the info, the only prob is I don't have the stock pipes to put back, wish I did now, Any one wanna trade stock pipes for some slightly used stainless cobra slip on's???? :biglaugh: LOL prob not

You can always get some Supertrapps.
Or ask around and I'm sure someone has some Stock pipes laying around that they'd sell cheap.

I thought you were running Supertraps Patrick............I have a very clean full system off an 07, I'd like to find someone to trade me for a set of Delkavic slip on's..............................Tom.

If you want a little dose of 'cool' without major changes a set of Mark's Performance pipes sound great and will work fine with oem jets and maybe a small needle shim.

+1

Marks Pipe with .003" shims.

Very nice sound, a ton lighter than stock and a few more ponies to boot.

I thought you were running Supertraps Patrick............I have a very clean full system off an 07, I'd like to find someone to trade me for a set of Delkavic slip on's..............................Tom.

Geesh I'm a dumb A** they are super trapps !!! My public edumacation letting my down again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway I'm assuming the net effect it the same, Not as good as stock ????:bang head:

Just get rid of the Stage 1 Jet kit and go back to stock needles and jets and the Supertrapps will be as good as stock and sound way better.

Geesh I'm a dumb A** they are super trapps !!! My public edumacation letting my down again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway I'm assuming the net effect it the same, Not as good as stock ????:bang head:
Super trapps are good will get you just as good of performance as stock & sound good to. If you feel like putting some elbow grease in I have a Marks 4 into 1 that needs sandblasted & either painted with hi temp paint or ceramic coated. I would let it go for 250 plus shipping.

Slip ons in terms of HP, are basically equal to stock.....IE you dont pick up any HP gains, but I dont think that you lose any either.

Ok thanks for the tips guys, thinking the first thing to do is get a hold of some stock needles and jets.

Throw away the cobras and put on anything else, LOL.

Actually, the mentioned Cobras work just fine with a bike stock everywhere else, as long as you are not looking for more power.

My experience with the Cobra slipon 4-4 setup:
Looks = outstanding
Weight savings = outstanding
Sound = Exactly what I wanted
Loss of a few ponies at the VERY top end of the rpm range = acceptable (I'm almost never turning high enough for it to be noticeable.)

The biggest disadvantage I see to the Cobras is that they are a 4-4 setup using the stock headers. Now, the stock headers do not flow enough to give any increase in power. (The cobras are open enough though that they will support wider headers) And where this is a 4-4 system, you lose scavenging at the very top end, which is where you lose your few hp from.

Not that it really matters in this case, where as he has Supertraps and not the Cobras lol

Forgot to add my favorite is a good exhaust system with a stage 7 with the V boost still functional. Just my personal opinion but disabling the v boost is plain stupid

+1 on this, I have a Kerker with a comp baffle and a Morley jet kit and I love it but a stage 7 is good too just don't go too fat like alot of people do. I have stock (152.5 mikuni's) main jets in mine and depending on weather it's still just a touch fat but it's damn close.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back