Best geometry

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While there is a stock factory setting that most likely will not work for someone wanting to properly set up their suspension. It is possible that you will need to upgrade some parts of the suspension dependent on what you are looking for as a setup. Someone that is not wanting it to handle better on the corners will have different needs than someone wanting maximum comfort on long rides or the guy that wants to run it up and down a dragstrip.
Probably the first thing to do after deciding how it's going to be ridden is to look into how to set the sag on your bike.
There are some good video's on how to set your sag on YouTube.
This important step can get headed in the right direction and may dictate some hardware changes needed. The hardware upgrades can run gamut from mild to wild and from a few dollars to you-don't-want-to-know how much it's going to cost just do it!
There are a number of manufacturers you'll want to look at once you decide that you need to upgrade parts; here are a few of those manufactures: Race Tech, Progressive, Ricor, Ohlins, Works and there are probably a few more that didn't come to mind typing this.
Ask questions, read the how to's, look at the various techniques used by other forum members to achieve a good handling Vmax.

My current setup:
15W fork oil
preload set at 5psi
dropped one inch through the clamps.

That is the best setup for me (I weigh in between 130-140, depending what I am wearing) that I can get without going to new springs, wheels & tires, racetech valve emulator, ect.

I am curious about one thing.
Raising or lowering the front end of your bike changes much more than just rake and trail, however. It also changes the angle of the swingarm, which can play a big part in handling, especially on more powerful bikes.
By lowering the front end, how does the change in swingarm angle effect the handling?

Back