Shinko tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you purchased tires from the motorcycle superstore.com site? For shinko tires they're sooo cheap!!

All their tires are priced great there. I had an issue, as well as Wayne, with the bias ply Shinkos. But there are many happy Shinko people out there. If you get one that needs an extreme amount of weight, make sure it's mounted right and not running out like mine was. Send them back if they do run-out. Don't let a shop tell you it's ok to have the wheel lines with weights. I've been running Dyna beads after getting the tire positioned for the best balance possible. Of course you have to mount your own to go through that little bit of hassle. Tire tools are cheap. And no one cares about your wheels like you do.

Steve-o

Hopefully I don't run into that problem but if I do I will tend it back. First time running a tire on the bike that's not a Dunlop so wanted to hear the people's opinion. I'm gonna look into dyna beads. Never heard of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, I got my shinks in last night and had our cycle shop mount them. Perfect. Rode 60miles and they feel good, bike feels good, different then the last set but it's a positive change and look. Missing the rwl but it's all good lolImage1467425682.178039.jpgImage1467425695.771827.jpg

So, I got my shinks in last night and had our cycle shop mount them. Perfect. Rode 60miles and they feel good, bike feels good, different then the last set but it's a positive change and look. Missing the rwl but it's all good lolView attachment 53916View attachment 53917

120 and 170 looks just like what I have.

Yeah, I went with wider front and rear. Made no sense not to for how cheap the tires are. After hearing the wider front would fit, definitely a no brainer lol. I like the feel of the wider tires it feels like the bike is taller tho..? Maybe not idk.

Yeah, I went with wider front and rear. Made no sense not to for how cheap the tires are. After hearing the wider front would fit, definitely a no brainer lol. I like the feel of the wider tires it feels like the bike is taller tho..? Maybe not idk.

The 2nd number is the height of the tire 120/90/18-being 90 is tall
What was the 2nd number of the one you took off?
It goes width/height/rim size.

Shit, don't remember. It's probably sitting where it should. The tire off the rear was pretty much a slick lol more than positive the height numbers are the same.

The middle # is talking about sidewall height as an aspect ratio. 120/90-18 so the sidewall is 90% OF 120 which equals 108 mm+ 18 inches will give you the height of the tire.

Section Width
Following the letter(s) that identify the type of vehicle and/or type of service for which the tire was designed, the three-digit numeric portion identifies the tire's "Section Width" (cross section) in millimeters.

P225/50R16 91S

The 225 indicates this tire is 225 millimeters across from the widest point of its outer sidewall to the widest point of its inner sidewall when mounted and measured on a specified width wheel. This measurement is also referred to as the tire's section width. Because many people think of measurements in inches, the 225mm can be converted to inches by dividing the section width in millimeters by 25.4 (the number of millimeters per inch).

225mm / 25.4 = 8.86"

Sidewall Aspect Ratio
Typically following the three digits identifying the tire's Section Width in millimeters is a two-digit number that identifies the tire's profile or aspect ratio.

P225/50R16 91S

The 50 indicates that this tire size's sidewall height (from rim to tread) is 50% of its section width. The measurement is the tire's section height, and also referred to as the tire's series, profile or aspect ratio. The higher the number, the taller the sidewall; the lower the number, the lower the sidewall. We know that this tire size's section width is 225mm and that its section height is 50% of 225mm. By converting the 225mm to inches (225 / 25.4 = 8.86") and multiplying it by 50% (.50) we confirm that this tire size results in a tire section height of 4.43". If this tire were a P225/70R16 size, our calculation would confirm that the size would result in a section height of 6.20", approximately a 1.8-inch taller sidewall.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

Attachments

• tire_diagram.gif
    tire_diagram.gif
    35 KB · Views: 17
Sidewall height is used in racing....IE a smaller tire will effectively shorten the gear ratio where as a taller sidewall will lengthen the gear ratio. That way you can "tune" the vehicle to cross the finish line at the RPM that you want "to keep it in the power band....or the rpm that you want".

Thanks for that info traumahawk. I was pretty familiar with the numbers but this explains I way better detail. I put 300 miles on them shinks today and was even caught in the rain, gotta say, I like them a lot

Both links are pretty helpful, thanks for them and will definitely use it in the future tire configurations

Latest posts

Back