Avon AM41/42 Tires

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Biker Dash

Reaction score
Has anyone here had any experience running the 120/90-18 & 170/80-15 Avon AM41/42 tires on their Max?

I am thinking that I shall need new tires by the end of the riding season, and I like these widths, and they are recommended as a matched set.

The 170 on the back is a commonly selected size, but what of the 120 on the front. Will there be fitment issues? I did some quick measurements, and there should be about 15mm of space between the tire and fender heightwise. I am guessing there would be about 8mm of clearance at the sides, with my quick & dirty measurements.

These are the tires I am considering.
Avon AM41 Venom 120/90-18 Front Tire
Avon AM42 Venom 170/80-15 Rear Tire

I have no experience with the Avons but I have run a 120 width tire up front with no issues. Its pretty close to the fender but it does clear.

i had a shinko 120/90 for years and its fine, brings the speedo closer to actual, actually. i also ran a 130/70 on a 3.5" rim so the fender should be able to handle it.

I need to know how well they handle and wear, compared to the Dunlop 404 tires

Starting Line carries the stock size Dunlop 525 tires, but I REALLY do not want Dunlops. They were shitty on my Shadow and they are shitty on Woona

oh god these tires are sticky as hell. i love them i owned multiple bike and this make the max grip as well as my old zx-10r.

if you go with them you wont be dissapointed.

hers a pic of them installed but not riden on.

Attachments

• vmax sexy.jpg
    vmax sexy.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 42
  • unnamed (7).jpg
    unnamed (7).jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 46
I have Avon's, I am on my 3rd set. I run the wider back, fits pretty good. I run a 100/90-18 on the front. Yes the speedo is off a little, maybe next time I will check out the 120 since they don't make a 110. I think my speedo is off about 10mph at 70 mph. OH and I love my Venom tires.. they stick pretty good and last pretty long. Mine have needed replaced due to age before needing replaced due to tread depth...

i just put a set on my max a month ago. stock sizes for now. i got the am26 roadrider for a steer tire. i didn't want a steer tire with a center rib. they do stick, not brave enough to grind the foot pegs yet, only had the bike a year this month, i got balancing beads and put in them to balance them, seem to work been up to 85 and no wobbles, that the max is known for. once i get a few more miles on them, i'll take it up to 125 or so.

I only replaced the back this year. I cleaned off the tire with a slow burn in the driveway and a 200 ft patch going up the street...I tried to use a green pad on the front when I changed it, but it was still slick for awhile. Think it took about 100 miles before it was worn clean...

Got the new tires mounted.
Very first impressions:

Taller than when I had the Dunlops on. Right at the limit for me with seat height.

Very stable over less than perfect pavement. Beforehand, rougher pavement may have given the front end twitches, (depending on the severity of the road) and she liked to track with grooves and such. Not so with the Avons. Very stable over the worst of it. Feels more sure.

Bike feels almost twitchy. She now feels like she WANTS to attack the corners. Turn in is very quick and positive, even with the wider tires. But when turning, she still feels stable. Very different than how she felt before, and will take a bit to get used to the new feel. I am NOT complaining. I wonder if part of this could be caused by the tires being pinched in some, causing the profile to change in a way to promote cornering? Either way, after 10 miles, I know I made the right choice for me.

Lastly, the looks. These tires give the bike a more meaty look, akin to a proper muscle car. And with the taller and wider front tire, the fender now hugs the tire nicely.

10/10 will choose these tires again if I am still running the stock wheels the next time I need tires.

1534316_10203070911309044_8293243087884278542_n.jpg

Looking very Good!!!

Thank you.

One thing I noticed looking at the tread portion, with how they are pinched in a little, I imagine even if i were to do some serious cornering on these tires, they would still have some sizable chicken strips on them.

Would make for a good sleeper bike in the twisties. They would see the wide looking chicken strips, and figure I don't corner hard at all... but then, when I have it leaned over hard through the turns, it would surprise them
rainbowdetermined2.png

Back