Best Stock Seat Mod?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAX Eddie

Reaction score
I see a lot of raving about the Max Gasser and a slew of others using the other seat options like the Corbin, Sportmax, Morley's Muscle etc.

I really don't have any interest in the first 2 due to the layouts. I really like the idea of a reformed/remade stock seat.

I've had the chance to sit on a full cut Morley's Muscle seat but not a Sportmax. So I guess my question is which of these 2, or are there others, is the most comfy? I want something I can be on for hours on end without getting hemroids! :rofl_200:

I know Morley's have a few options, full cut, mid cut, and top cut. Not sure about the Sportmax. I do see the mesh finish on them which makes me think they are good at preventing sweaty ass.

Old discussion about seats but any opinions welcome!

They use a "Volkswagon" material for the basket weave though not sure if it's available anymore?

He has a "double stuff" and the standard seat from what I know about. Both lower you in the saddle. The double stuff looks a bit "poofy" and makes the seating surface a bit wider but to me looks like it's something in the mid-drift of the stay puft marshmallow man. I think I have a used set in that configuration around here too.

Sean

Not to start a fight as I'm sure you are partial to your own seats but how do the Sportmax seats compare from a firmness perspective? I'm looking for best ass comfort :D

I just got the mid cut muscle seat from Sean. It is great, pretty sure the past seat I had was the sport max. I and ride for well over an hour without issues, unlike before.. I have yet to find anything Sean doesn't do well...

I've had Sean do me a seat which I was happy with in the comfort and quality of work department. I was riding a Starfighter cut down seat before that which gave you the locked feel and nice look but there was no long ride comfort. Sean's was better and he custom laid out the stitch lines or panels to my request.
Honestly, what you desire is somewhat of an oxymoron. If you have not tried a Maxgasser, you have no idea what you are missing in quality first, comfort, functionality and then looks.
It of course is not a stock pan as you prefer. Sean can put in a gel pad for you I believe. Maxgasser actually has custom formulated density foam for small or big riders.
I found that I got the most discomfort not on my tailbone with cutdown stack seats but at the inner thigh area just behind the airbox cover where the frame rails run and the padding is the thinist.

I think both seats are comfy. I have not had a chance to sit on the double stuff yet but have had a few of the normal one's. I will have a double stuff here to try out in a few days. I say if you have a good interior shop close by go talk with them. I have a local shop I told him what I wanted & he charged me 125 bucks & done a great job. I like supporting local business when possible.

Not to start a fight as I'm sure you are partial to your own seats but how do the Sportmax seats compare from a firmness perspective? I'm looking for best ass comfort :D
Better than stock & a superior height from the ground, if you're wanting lower. The Max Gasser smokes the Sportmax
in comfort. I've sat on Sean's seats and they are comfortable too. But I haven't gone on a 300 mile trip with his yet.

no fighting lol. just my opinion. i can ship the sportmax seat and let you decide.

Or since I'm in the process of expanding my seat business . I can make your stock seat comfy too , and without citing the heck out of it. I have a few triks that most don't, I even made a guy with a honda fury more comfortable then he was on the stock seat. If you like the looks of stock I can work on that foundation or I can lower to your comfort zone and adjust from there

Or since I'm in the process of expanding my seat business ...

Rick, what can you do to make my lawn mowing time more comfy?
jd seat 2.jpg

JD seat.jpg :biglaugh:

I just made a new seat back board out of treated plywood & SS hardware, but the local guy charged me $25.00 to cut a new pad and re-upholster it. I may be in the market for a new bottom section before too long and I thought I'd source somewhere a little less expensive. Needs to be weatherproof as the tractor sits outside all the time. :biglaugh:

I went from a 1st gen Sportmax to Morley's and like Morlye's much better. With the Sportmax, there's is little room to move and your nuts will get smooshed (technical term) against the top cover.

View attachment 42600

View attachment 42601 :biglaugh:

I just made a new seat back board out of treated plywood & SS hardware, but the local guy charged me $25.00 to cut a new pad and re-upholster it. I may be in the market for a new bottom section before too long and I thought I'd source somewhere a little less expensive. Needs to be weatherproof as the tractor sits outside all the time. :biglaugh:

Nice color "Jeff"! lol

The main problem I see with the MG is what if you have stuff tied down to the passenger seat? Then you have to take it all apart just to put gas in the tank. Same I think with the Corbin setup.

Sean can you do a gel pad in there like Pat mentioned? Or memory foam or something? Something similar that's also breathable? A mesh material? I'll PM you to chat more about it.

For the guys who have riden on the lower seats are you comfy? When I tried the 3" drop there were a few issues. My legs felt crunched up which I'm sure is partly from being used to sitting higher up. And when I put my feet on my highway pegs they were now way to close. They're just cheap pegs but are set as far away from me as possible which was perfect on stock seat. I also got a sweaty arse on just a 20min ride and not that hot a day. I couldn't tell if it was because more of my ass is in contact with the seat or was heat from the engine coming up through since my butt is that much closer to the hot parts.

That said Sean's seats are beautiful and very well made. The full cut reminded me of a sport bucket seat, like in an Integra, if you've ever sat in one of those they're very firm but they're formed to hold you in a perfect position.

I like going on long rides, like all day long, so trying to get something that puts me in a good position when I want to get on it AND is comfy when I want to kick back and cruise. Recliner?! :D

We have avoided the gels for some time but if a customer really wants one we can do it. Blisters and me don't get along well which seems to be the end result that you "could" face. If you get the material too breaheable you will be sitting on a wet sponge if you ever wash it or get it wet. Then that can cause rot and other fungus issues. Again, if you want it we'll do it.

I am not sure if we can still get the VW material but by now there is surely a replica replacement (it's probably been 8-10 years since we bothered using it).

I have one of Sean's full cut seats and I love it, I've rode on it for 6 hours straight other than gas stops and was just fine. I'm a bigger guy too but I love how flat and wide the seat is, it doesn't have as much padding but no amount of padding will make up for a seat that's too narrow. I've heard great things about the mid cut too, if I didn't race as much I'd have probably went that way but as it turns out I'm very happy with the comfort and the "locked in" feeling I get with my seat.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

If you get the second gen version of the Corbin you can use a tail bag on the passenger seat and still gas up. I have had both Corbin V-Max versions and a SportMax.

I personally cannot stand the cut down seats. They force you into one position and my private area was in pain within 80 miles. The front of the seat was pressing on my nads and there was no way to move as the curve forced me into one position. Rode on one trip to Waco and back (80 miles each way) for BBQ with some friends with the SportMax and removed it as soon as I got home. Went back to Corbin but the second gen version only.

Have ridden on several 3500 mile / 7 day trips with the Corbin on several bikes including the Max and had no issues. Only problem I have with the Corbin is with my 30" inseam, I'm on my tiptoes at a stop.

Another advantage of the Corbin is the removable backrest.

:biglaugh:
View attachment 42600

View attachment 42601 :biglaugh:

Jim ,

I have this one of one seat that would be great on your tractor, I'll let you have it for 30% of catalog:biglaugh:

Attachments

• photo (177).jpg
    photo (177).jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 52
We have avoided the gels for some time but if a customer really wants one we can do it. Blisters and me don't get along well which seems to be the end result that you "could" face. If you get the material too breaheable you will be sitting on a wet sponge if you ever wash it or get it wet. Then that can cause rot and other fungus issues. Again, if you want it we'll do it.

I am not sure if we can still get the VW material but by now there is surely a replica replacement (it's probably been 8-10 years since we bothered using it).

Those blisters reciprocate your tough ass Sean ;)

If you get the second gen version of the Corbin you can use a tail bag on the passenger seat and still gas up. I have had both Corbin V-Max versions and a SportMax.

I personally cannot stand the cut down seats. They force you into one position and my private area was in pain within 80 miles. The front of the seat was pressing on my nads and there was no way to move as the curve forced me into one position. Rode on one trip to Waco and back (80 miles each way) for BBQ with some friends with the SportMax and removed it as soon as I got home. Went back to Corbin but the second gen version only.

Have ridden on several 3500 mile / 7 day trips with the Corbin on several bikes including the Max and had no issues. Only problem I have with the Corbin is with my 30" inseam, I'm on my tiptoes at a stop.

Another advantage of the Corbin is the removable backrest.

Sounds like you and are of the same mind with the seats. I'm not sure how a really tall guy would enjoy the 3" drop. I'm about 5'10" or so with my riding boots and my knees were tweaked right away. Then I couldn't stretch them out right on my front pegs. I can stand flat footed with stock seat without issue though, it's just the right height for me.

That backrest something you can add later? Or do you have to get a special seat type to take that?

I don't see anything that specifies Gen1 or 2 on there site. This the one you're talking about Don?
http://www.corbin.com/yamaha/vmax.shtml

I have one of Sean's seats and at first I had it cut to a full cut, and while it was much better than stock after about 250-300 miles I would get a little uncomfortable after 50 or so miles after a fuel stop. I know I know 300 miles you should be happy, right? Well after taking a test ride on a Gen 2 and FJR I noticed that their seats were much flatter, so I talked to Sean and he agreed to have me send it back for a little more reshaping. When I received it back from him I knew after the first ride that he had made the seat perfect for me! I have since been on other long rides (600+ in one day) and no numbness like the original seat or soreness from sitting in one spot for 10+ hours. I did not have forward pegs for my last ride but I do now so my only issue (with my knees needing to be stretched) is now eliminated.
Here is a profile look at the seat:
IMG_1159.jpg

I love my Max Gasser seat. I've been on several long rides and don't have to walk it off at the gas stops. I'd buy another for sure. I have a Sportmax seat gathering dust.

Back