Gobs of Oil in the Coolant Reservoir... water pump gasket or diaphragm?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CALI-gula

Reaction score
We've had a week or so of 100 degree weather. I ride EVERY DAY in Los Angeles to and from work (for the past 22 years) but I especially noticed the bike running hotter than usual a few late afternoons last week, and some overflow from the down-tube of the coolant reservoir dripping beneath the bike. Of course I tasted it just to be sure it was coolant - but then realized it was so oily and bland, that it was comprised of more oil than sweet, sweet glycol. :icon_jook:

Leaking coolant has always been a rare event in any quantity on my VMAX, so checking it last night - I used a MightyVac to pull out about a Red Solo Party cup's worth of motor-oil out of the coolant reservoir - so roughly 10 to 12 oz.

I'm willing to bet the mix was was more oil than coolant. I sucked out all of what was in the reservoir (at least), stuffed a clean rag in there dampened in denatured alcohol to wipe about the oil residue, the put in a 50/50 mix of distilled water and coolant. I realize I'll likely have to address the whole system and clean out the radiator too - but this was just a temporary fix to tide over until the weekend.

And this all came on all of a sudden. I just checked and topped off the coolant in mid-July and it was clean, correct color, no oil in there.

Coolant reservoir cap is fine, temps were up more than normal but just a smidge above mid-way - not redlining - and the auxiliary fan never even came on; but I know the fan is working as it did come on one 102 degree day a couple of weeks ago after I got off the highway in the desert.

I've read a few threads of those posting they found SOME oil in their coolant, like the one below, but not in quantities the likes of what I found - nor as all of a sudden.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=34411

Regardless, the bike has been running good; no steamy/white or sweet-smelling exhaust, no rough idling, starts right up and runs great, oil looks clean and no milky appearance - so I believe it is merely pressuring the oil into the coolant system.

Best guess is leaking water pump gasket or diaphragm. Agree? Comments?

• 2001 VMAX
  • 36,000 Miles.
  • I own all of those miles starting at 2,400 and it was like new when I got it - so I know full history of the bike. General maintenance has always been on schedule and religious.
  • Most recent significant out-of-the ordinary matter I had to address was replace the main Ignition pick-up end of last year. (Which I posted a thread on it as well).

Other than the above issue, the bike is running great anyway. I've got some minor oil weeps, a slight slippy clutch that will need replacing soon and I've recently gotten some hint of the starter-clutch bag-of-bolts sound a few times so that will be the next job to address.

Last edited:
I have some oil in my reservoir on my 89 but also have a higher pressure oil pump. It's never too much and Sean agrees that it can be normal sometimes. I suck the oil out every 6 months or so. If yours is more than a ounce or so as it seems to be then Dannymax is absolutely right about the rebuild.

Back