Fuel smell from airbox.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

El Maxero

Reaction score
Bike is stock 2006. Started getting a pretty strong fuel smell out of the airbox. Openned it up and everything looks OK. Checked around and no visible leaks. Bike starts/runs great, but people are asking me if it has a fuel leak - you can smell it that strongly. All coming out of the airbox. With the tank under the seat, I can't see how/why this is happening. Under airbox everything is dry on the outside - carbs/hoses. When I openned the airbox, no wet fuel in it, but fuel smell was like sticking your head in a bucket with a quart of gas in it. Any experience with this or ideas on what to look for?

If nothing is on the ground or leaking onto the motor it could possibly be a stuck float in the carb.
Did you check under the seat from the tank to the electric fuel pump then from the pump to the carbs?

Last edited:
Start the bike up with the airbox lid off......and see where you see fuel coming from. Its common where for there to be a fine mist when you goose the bike. Usually if there is a stuck float.....you should have fuel poring out from somewhere.

So look for fuel leaks.....or where fuel is coming from.

Stuck float - OK, thanks. I'll investigate that. Weird that it is running fine. Not rich at all. Very strange.

Stuck float - OK, thanks. I'll investigate that. Weird that it is running fine. Not rich at all. Very strange.
=NO STUCK FLOAT. If you had a stuck float, you would know something was amiss in regards to how it was running.

Could be a drippy fuel line around where it seperates to go to the carbs and the fuel is evaporating on the motor before you can see it. Could also be a slightly leaky bowl gasket thats just letting a tiny bit out. Ive had the latterof the two happen.

Yes, as I understand it, a stuck float would cause fuel starvation (stuck up) or overflowing (stuck down). I have neither. The weather has gotten significantly cooler and wet and the problem has stopped - almost completely. I'll just order carb rebuild kits now and do that and replace the hoses when it snows next, as I'm a chicken to ride in the snow.

Been commuting on my Max in some torrential rain lately, and it does really well. Surprising for a "drag bike". Vmax is a pretty good all-around commuting ride, if you ignore the hype.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think it's a tiny fuel leak somewhere in those 9-year old gaskets and hoses.

That offset "t" hose tying the carbs together can get bent out shape after a cleaning or rebuild if it's not assembled correctly- it is hard to find a crack in it untill it is removed.

Back