Damage from one overheat?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Ok. Some of you might remember that my fan did not come on during my trip this summer, and I spewed coolant all over everything for about 10 seconds before I could get out of traffic to the side of the road. I went to a gas station after it cooled down a bit, topped off the coolant and fixed the fan switch wires. Everything ran as normal for the last 300 miles home and 500 more since then.

I've just gotten myself worried by reading a bunch of stuff about blown gaskets, leaking water pumps, and destroyed motors.

I'm wondering if it's possible to do crank damage or other major internal stuff by just idling up to overheat temps and getting off the road. I feel like there might be a little more knocking sound than there used to be, but that could be from the slightly less barky exhaust. I'll be doing an oil change this weekend as well as trying to adjust my shift linkage, which makes it impossible to find neutral at a stop during my rides recently.

Anyway. That's it. I don't need to dump money into this thing right now.

If you damaged the crank you would know already. It's possible to warp the cylinder heads but not likely. I'm sure your engine survived ok if it's still running.

Mine did the puke from the catch tank trip once. I stupidly rode in the Americade parade one year, and even with the fan on, it still got too hot. Cooled it down, added some coolant, and never had a problem since.

If you damaged the crank you would know already. It's possible to warp the cylinder heads but not likely. I'm sure your engine survived ok if it's still running.

Agreed. Keep riding it until a real problem surfaces.......and it probably won't............

Back