Clutch cover gasket

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
Is an oem gasket required for clearance on the clutch cover? I need to adjust the shift arm and don't have one on hand. I can, of course, wait for one if it's necessary.

You can use silicon anywhere that the gasket tears. It's not 100% required though there is a little preload of the shift shaft that would be affected. Not enough to make it an issue from what I have seen (though honestly always used a gasket).

The trick is to soak the new gasket in oil so it does not stick to the block or cover and you can reuse it while its also good as it is kept in place when you line up the cover with the dowels.

The trick is to soak the new gasket in oil so it does not stick to the block or cover and you can reuse it while its also good as it is kept in place when you line up the cover with the dowels.
Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I slick coat both sides of my gaskets with grease......................................Tom.

Yeah. I think I coated the last one in Vaseline on both sides before install. We'll see how it held up.

Yeah. I think I coated the last one in Vaseline on both sides before install. We'll see how it held up.
Please do.....I usually use black permatex. ....but sometimes that still sticks

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

I don't know I've always cleaned case surfaces with lacquer thinner & even used gaskets. Most of the time used over & over a lot. I found being clean it can't bake on.

Dave

This is all good info.
I just had to re-open my stator cover and middle gear cover after only 1,200 miles.
The gaskets wanted to stick/tear.
So I just took my time and used a thin metal putty knife to pry/break them free as I pulled the covers off.
I got lucky and it came off in one piece, it probably would not have taken as much effort or time had I soaked it in oil or used grease when I put it on.

Latest posts

Back