Vboost problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinman22

Reaction score
Does anybody know where I can get one of these. Or just the worn out half?
Yeah I know it's upside down.
Or mayb just a whole vboost motor!
Better yet how does this happen as I would like to find the cause before replacement.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 49
No really. I was checking components for proper operation and found the vboost actuator not working. Upon further inspection I found a stripped gear also the butterfly for cyl. 3/4 was slow and sticky on the return from open ( also manifolds are numbered 1/2 on both sides?) replacement is easy,but does anybody know what (other than stuck butterfly) would cause this? I would assume the sticky butterflies were caused by not being opened. But I've been wrong since I've been married.

Yeah I found the same servos online from 60-100 dollars. Not really a big deal I'll order one tonight. Would just hate to wast another one.I was really wondering what caused it. A bad potentiometer or a bad boost controller. Or if it was a common problem. At 23k miles I wouldn't think the servo had reached its service life. As for the 1-2 castings at least that's normal. As for the wife she went to go buy crab legs.

You mean a 30 year old servo and boost controller? Quite common to go out.
So does anything happen when you turn the key on? Anything cycle? It is usually the control box that goes-solder points in the back of the board get too hot and lose connection. Sometime just opening one up or bending it gets it going.

With the key on the motor cycles but no rotation of the pully. So I took the cover off and found the bad gear. What seemed a bit odd was the sheared teeth from the gear lying inside the box. First thought was someone removed the box before the cable and yanked on it spinning the gears and stripping them against a non turning motor. But I quess age could be just as likely.

I replaced a controller a number of years ago. All other parts in the mechanism work fine. 30 years, 130,000 miles. However I'm not one who ventures into boost territory too often, so my Vboost linkage probably doesn't operate as often as someone who rides harder than I do.

Sucks getting old and feeble.

With the key on the motor cycles but no rotation of the pully. So I took the cover off and found the bad gear. What seemed a bit odd was the sheared teeth from the gear lying inside the box. First thought was someone removed the box before the cable and yanked on it spinning the gears and stripping them against a non turning motor. But I quess age could be just as likely.
There actually is an adjustment in the vboost mechanism. I wonder if it was adjusted too tight?

Sent from my SCH-R890 using Tapatalk

If the butterfly on one pair of cylinders was stuck or tight, it would cause extra strain and stress on the servo gear. Since the gear is plastic, it would be the weak link in the assembly and end up stripped.

I suggest making sure that you have smooth movement on both butterfly valves....

I'll check the adjustments on the vboost when I get home and free up everything.
I haven't bought one yet so I'll probably get one from you, let me know how much.

Latest posts

Back