A new horn for the vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think a louder horn is a great idea, especially for our Max. But those Stebel /Screaming thingies aren't as loud as they seem, and are huge and heavy, as well as expensive.

My solution's much cheaper - run a fused line straight from the battery through a relay, activate the relay with the OEM horn circuit, and then swap the ol' pissy horn with a twin horn car setup - cheap @ Repco or any car parts store - and it'll be as loud and impressive as your big car/truck anyday!

I think a louder horn is a great idea, especially for our Max. But those Stebel /Screaming thingies aren't as loud as they seem, and are huge and heavy, as well as expensive.

My solution's much cheaper - run a fused line straight from the battery through a relay, activate the relay with the OEM horn circuit, and then swap the ol' pissy horn with a twin horn car setup - cheap @ Repco or any car parts store - and it'll be as loud and impressive as your big car/truck anyday!

Less than $40 is expensive? I have used this horn on 3 vmax's and all have been extremely LOUD. Yes, its a bit bulky so placement is limited.

Its nice that we all have variations to share so we can make our own decision of what suits our likings best.

i like the banshee's strobed characteristic. but at 100 bucks, for me, it isn't worth it. one could could get noticed at a fraction of that cost. like previously mentioned, the manufacturer's dB claims aren't what they may seem on paper. for me i would want 139dB @ 50ft, but typically the numbers are like 139db @ 5 feet (exaggeration to make a point).

i used the following to make a decision, which measured a handful of horns at various distances.
http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm

Thats just like the stebel nautilus horn I have been running since 1998.

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2137/

Mr. Kevman, the Stebel "Mini Nautilus" horn is also less expensive (in North America, maybe not in Oz) BUT has the advantage of being able to be separated , with the horn being remotely mounted from the compressor, joined by flexible tubing.
The Stebel generally gets good reviews, providing the horn section is mounted in a position that doesn't attract a lot of water or road debris.
Cheers!

Less than $40 is expensive? I have used this horn on 3 vmax's and all have been extremely LOUD. Yes, its a bit bulky so placement is limited.

Its nice that we all have variations to share so we can make our own decision of what suits our likings best.
This is awesome because I just bought this horn!

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem?itemId=150682955133&index=14&nav=SEARCH&nid=38436591504

Then I got it in and was like holy shiznit!!! Where am I gonna put it! Where is yours located and how did you mount it extreme?? I can't even hear my oem horn.. worse comes to worse my gf now has a buell blast and that horn is SUPER LOUD!!

if you can find a set off an 82 yammie seca 750...they are scary loud.... its a dual horn set tho.

+1 on the Stebel Nautilus. I got mine almost exactly a year ago, and have used it a dozen times to back off blue hairs, texting morons, various other "Rain Men" who would no doubt tell you with a straight face that they were excellent drivers.

I bought it through EBay from a company called "Motohorns". It came with a little kit including wiring for plug & play, and a mounting bolt that is an upgrade over the factory piece. I think it cost right at $75.

It is LOUD. I've got a fairly standard two-car gargage. Touched it off in there, with the doors open, as I was hooking it up and regretted it :rofl_200:

It is also a bit bulky, and hard to place on a VMax, so despite virtually zero fabrication skills, I fabricated a mount to place it between the front exhaust.

Stebel1.jpg

Stebel3.jpg

Stebel2.jpg

I went to Ace Hardware, grabbed a couple bolts, a piece of sheet metal, and some 5/8" bar stock (?). Cut the bar to size, bent it, drilled it out to fit the horn and the two threaded holes on the frame of the bike. Cut to size, drilled, and bent the sheet metal to make a heat shield. Bolted it all up. It's been there a year/5k miles with no sign of falling off or heat damage. I have to remove it to change the oil. Takes 3 extra minutes maybe.

Total cost was under $80. Sounds like a small train.

Last edited:
That's really cool Klatuu. I'm amazed it's not minding all that gets thrown at it by the front tire. Do you ride in the wet?

Absolutely love the color of your bike btw!!

That's really cool Klatuu. I'm amazed it's not minding all that gets thrown at it by the front tire. Do you ride in the wet?

Absolutely love the color of your bike btw!!

Yes, I ride in the rain. In fact, I went on a 900 mile ride last weekend with my men. Rode from Atlanta to Cumberland Gap via Chattanooga on Friday. We saddled up and rode to Mammoth Cave on Saturday (only to find it sold out, how the hell do you sell out a hole in the ground?), and then on to Bowling Green for the night. Got up Sunday and rode home via Lebanon & Murfeesboro. We were light to heavy rain for about 200 miles on Sunday. The horn gets dirty, I hose it off. After all, a nautilus is a sea creature :biglaugh:

I did the same than NaughtyG. Nothing better specially for the price and I'm sure I get noticed.
It just need to be installed with the horn facing down for avoiding the water to get in. Oh yeah I made the mistake once lol

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I know this is an old thread but it fits right in with what I'm going to do. I had some dickhole pull out of a parking lot and do a sweeping lane change across 3 lanes missing me only because I stood on the binders. I always assume people are going to do stupid thoughtless shit like this or I would have gone down. I was pushing the horn button so hard I think my thumb was white and there was no audio.

I followed this link posted earlier in this thread:

I cant help but notice the Hella Supertone was tested as the loudest by a decent margin but when listening to the MP3 file it sounded pretty weak. To keep it simple I would love to not have to mess with an air horn as there is no fairing to hide anything behind. The twin elec horns appear to be a simple install to.

Is anyone using these Hella Supertone horns? How do you like them compared to air horns? It's ok if they sound stupid if they are louder than the other options. They are reasonably priced on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Brand-Supertone-Horn-Set-/301720634094?hash=item463ff382ee&vxp=mtr

Have any of you heard these horns in person? impressions?

TIA for any assist.

I know this is an old thread but it fits right in with what I'm going to do. I had some dickhole pull out of a parking lot and do a sweeping lane change across 3 lanes missing me only because I stood on the binders. I always assume people are going to do stupid thoughtless shit like this or I would have gone down. I was pushing the horn button so hard I think my thumb was white and there was no audio.

I followed this link posted earlier in this thread:

I cant help but notice the Hella Supertone was tested as the loudest by a decent margin but when listening to the MP3 file it sounded pretty weak. To keep it simple I would love to not have to mess with an air horn as there is no fairing to hide anything behind. The twin elec horns appear to be a simple install to.

Is anyone using these Hella Supertone horns? How do you like them compared to air horns? It's ok if they sound stupid if they are louder than the other options. They are reasonably priced on ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hella-Brand-Supertone-Horn-Set-/301720634094?hash=item463ff382ee&vxp=mtr

Have any of you heard these horns in person? impressions?

TIA for any assist.

I find it strange that nobody mentioned the WOLO BAD BOY.I have been using it for a few years and I love it.Plenty loud enough.Fits right between the head pipes.

Scarfed up a set of Gold Wing horns off a guy almost 30 years ago. Loud, and CHROME! Gonna do a relay on them though... Good idea.:punk:

Attachments

• maxmotor.jpg
    maxmotor.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 40
The WOLO Bad Boy is a copy of the Stebel Nautilus. Much cheaper and if you like plastic chrome, they make one like that, too. The black plastic one is much cheaper. Here's a shot of my install, I like it for the out of the way position, and no issues w/changing oil.

As Miles Long said, it's also capable of being separated, like the Stebel.

If you just want a loud horn cheaply, hit the local auto recycler and strip one out of a VOLVO. They usually have loud horns. I've also picked up a set (pair) from a Virago, they're Hella horns. Whatever you do, be sure to run it through a relay, the Bosch-style common relay is fine. The horn will be louder than w/o it, and you will lower the amps thru your switch.

Eastern Beaver has good wire kits for adding accessories.

Attachments

• IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 55
Thanks for the pics, it looks like my reply yesterday got lost in cyberspace.

I think the Kerker down pipes are closer together than oem, I tried to fit a dud Stebel I had laying around and it would be tight enough that I think heat would be an issue. I had a Stebel on my KLR and I loved it but no matter how it was mounted heavy rain could stop it from working. I looked further into the Hella Supertones and it looks like the reviews mostly come from Subaru guys but very positive. I have always used some variant of air horn on bikes but maybe I'll give the elec ones a throw. If they suck I'll go back to a Stebel.

I believe I can mount two of those staggered and have ample room to prevent heat damage, so I scored a new set on Ebay for $40 shipped. When they get here I'll drag out my wiring tote full of wiring, relays and terminals and see how they do. Reviews and pics coming.

I got the Stebel air horn finally installed

I found that there was really not enough room to neatly mount it between the headers. The Kerker downpipes seem closer together than the OEM so I opted to seperate the compressor from the assembly. It took some doing because they were bonded together with some sort of adhesive.

The horn without the compressor is very light, I used two zip ties to mount it with two small holes near the exit of the horn and it's very solid. I mounted the compressor behind the Vboost controller, it takes up some real estate previously enjoyed by the front coils. It's held in place with a single hose clamp. It's final position is more inward and forward than the pic but this shows how it hangs on. I used the relay with an aftermarket plug. The leads on the relay plug were long enough to tap into power and to the horn compressor without splice and the OEM horn leads plugged directly into the male spades I installed on the relay. I tucked the relay in above the TCI and it's held firmly im place by the harness.

I thought the hose length might be a small issue but it's not. It's instant and VERY loud. I know it's an old thread but I wanted to throw this in since I finally got around to doing this. I should have done it a long time ago, it's awesome.

Attachments

• vmaxhorn.jpg
    vmaxhorn.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 44

Latest posts

Back