Clutch switch ground???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reeseleblanc

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have a question regarding the clutch switch on my 2005.

I'm trying to set up a circuit where pulling the clutch switch in will go to ground and complete the circuit which will power up a module I've installed on the bike. To clarify, I ONLY want the module to power up when I have the clutch pulled in.

I've hooked up a multimeter to the L/Y wire on the clutch switch, and it shows an opn circuit when the lever is released. When the lever is pulled in, the Ohm meter reads almost perfect continuity. By that reading, it seems that tapping into the L/Y should do what I'm wanting; however, when I connect to that wire, the circuit immediately grounds and the module turns on, regardless of clutch position.

I have the wiring diagram in front of me, but nothing is raising flags to me. Granted, reading schematics isn't my forte'.

So, is there anyone that can offer some advice?

Thanks in advance!

Reese

Assume the input for you device going in through the black/ yellow contact? The blue/yellow wire also goes through the side stand switch so this would need to be down to complete the circuit Conversely, if the stand is up, the switch would be open circuit so regardless of clutch position your circuit would not go it to earth.

Therefore, assuming earth input from you device via the balck/ yellow terminal and the sides-stand is down then you should have an open circuit with the clutch lever out. Can't offer an explanation if this isn't the case.

As you would loose the safety cut out function by using the clutch switch for another purpose an alternative solution would be to use a hydraulic banjo bolt switch. This could be mounted at either the handlebar or slave cylinder end and the earth from your device routed through it.

A win-win I would have thought?

Steve, I appreciate the banjo idea! I'll look into that!

Dave, I have installed an RFID card reader on my bike in place of the ignition. Currently, the reader is on all the time. Granted, it is a very small draw which does not present an issue with the frequency I ride. What I want is to set the reader up with the clutch switch as a circuit ground so that it only powers up when I pull the clutch lever in. Once the tag is read, the reader doesn't need to be online, so releasing the clutch won't affect the bike running at that point.

Back